:woot

Master of Jenology

Feb 16, 2012#27

Great news. She is basically running Fox

12K11,427
      Contributor
      12K11,427

Feb 16, 2012#28

Congrats to her!..but I dont really see this doing very well on Fox, the show fits perfect on Univision,geared more towards a hispanic audience..did they announce the time slot, im too lazy to read all that..lol

Bachelor of Jenology

Feb 16, 2012#29

I'm do happy it got picked up. But on Saturday? =\ ratings are gonna suck.

Master of Jenology

Feb 16, 2012#30

yay, now show finale will be done perfectly

46K3,606
            Admin
            46K3,606

Feb 16, 2012#31

It's going to be on Saturdays.

This was always a hard sell for American TV, so I'm just glad an English network picked it up. Saturday isn't a great timeslot, but at least it will air and there's less pressure to really perform in that slot. The two hour airtimes also help it gain traction and they wouldn't be able to get that kind of time on any other night. So, I think there are pros, as well.

16K4,305
              Contributor
              16K4,305

Feb 16, 2012#32

isnt this show too short for tv? especially for Fox? Its like almost 10 minutes - per episode.

I think its perfect that Fox picked it up! :rockon

46K3,606
                Admin
                46K3,606

Feb 16, 2012#33

It's an hour long, not 10 minutes? Fox will air 2 hour episodes.

Doctor of Jenology

Feb 16, 2012#34

I wanna watch it ;)

Master of Jenology

Feb 17, 2012#35

Glad this show got picked up by Fox cuz it means so much to her. But she's really got to start thinkin bout overexposure. Goin to be on 2 reality shows 3 times a wk, got the kohls line out with all those commercials, just got done with the Fiat commercials that were on constantly and she's global ambassador for L'oreal. Little tooo much

Doctor of Jenology

Feb 17, 2012#36

Ahhhh!! :woot Jlo overdose for 2 hours. I'm so excited. :dance This is great for me but that seems to long. 1 hour weekly episodes would of been great. And saturday. Fox has never has a hit show on saturdays. 2mill is tops for ratings (excluding sports broadcasting).

Intro to Jenology

Feb 17, 2012#37

That is awesome. I don't understand spanish much so this is great that there will be an english version of the show.

46K3,606
                          Admin
                          46K3,606

Feb 17, 2012#38

juniorsega wrote:Ahhhh!! :woot Jlo overdose for 2 hours. I'm so excited. :dance This is great for me but that seems to long. 1 hour weekly episodes would of been great. And saturday. Fox has never has a hit show on saturdays. 2mill is tops for ratings (excluding sports broadcasting).

That's not really true:

Broadcast primetime ratings for Saturday, February 11, 2012:

Time Net Show 18-49 Rating/Sh Viewers (Millions)
                            8:00 NBC The Voice (R) 1.0/3 3.98
                            ABC Be My Valentine, Charlie Brown (R) 1.0/3 3.17
                            FOX America's Most Wanted 0.9/3 3.36
                            CBS Rules of Engagement (R) 0.8/3 3.08

8:30 CBS Mike & Molly (R) 0.8/3 3.47

9:00 NBC The Voice (R) 1.5/4 4.92
                            FOX America's Most Wanted 1.1/3 3.86
                            CBS CSI (R) 0.7/2 4.43
                            ABC Cougar Town (R) 0.5/2 1.47

9:30 ABC Cougar Town (R) 0.4/1 1.23

10:00 CBS 48 Hours Mystery 1.2/4 5.74
                            NBC Smash (R) 0.8/2 2.98
                            ABC Cougar Town (R) 0.5/2 1.56

These aren't stellar ratings, but it should attract more viewers than on Univision (where it's at about 2 - 2.5 million), IMO.

Doctor of Jenology

Feb 17, 2012#39

So these will be two hrs! Yea:-)

14K2,609
                              Admin
                              14K2,609

Feb 28, 2012#40

[BBvideo 716,428][/BBvideo]

20K2,682
                                Admin
                                20K2,682

Feb 28, 2012#41

^Will it be a running show on Vegas or just for the finale?

46K3,606
                                  Admin
                                  46K3,606

Feb 28, 2012#42

I don't think anyone knows, lol.

The twins looked like they were enjoying the show, haha. Cuties!

Doctor of Jenology

Feb 28, 2012#43

i m watching th new vids in english right now..jen is so cute and beautiful!wow!!

Master of Jenology

Feb 28, 2012#44

Jennifer Lopez ‏ @JLo

Who's been watching @QVIVA? RT if you're a fan and don't forget to check it out on @FOXBroadcasting this weekend! http://jenniferlopez.com/blog/post/q-vi ... sen-on-fox

Doctor of Jenology

Feb 28, 2012#45

yea!

26K8,905
                                          Doctor of Jenology
                                          26K8,905

Mar 02, 2012#46

AdAge

Fox's Gamble on Cross-Culture Reality TV Could Be a Game-Changer

Jennifer Lopez and Marc Anthony Take Their Univision Show Mainstream, With Subtitles -- Will Viewers Follow?

By: Rochelle Newman-Carrasco Published: March 02, 2012

It will be no minor event for the marketing industry Saturday night when "Q'viva! The Chosen," the popular reality show on Univision, has its premiere on Fox -- presented in its original three languages (Spanish, English and Portuguese), with subtitles.

Monolingual audiences are notoriously subtitle-averse, so it's no wonder that network programming has never featured anything like "Q'Viva." This unusual sharing arrangement merits the attention of programmers and advertisers alike.

In terms of advertising, Blackberry and its Playbook Tablet are virtually stars of the show, getting substantial screen time and offering an array of interactive experiences for global "Q'Viva" fans online. The company will enjoy exposure across both networks. So will Kohl's, a "Q'Viva" sponsor with more than a casual interest in the image of the feuding but Sonny and Cher-like duo of Jennifer Lopez and Marc Anthony: Kohl's features both of the stars' spring clothing collections.

It will be interesting to see if any new sponsors join the program on Fox and in what language marketers will choose to speak to the Fox audience. I'm guessing there will be more than a few Spanish-language ads popping up on Fox's traditionally English-language airwaves.

Ironically, "Q'Viva" is filling the time slot of "Cops," one of the longest-running shows on English-language TV. For many Latino and black comics, "Cops" is the punchline of jokes satirizing ethnic representation on mainstream TV. I predict more than a few letters to Fox from hard-core "Cops" viewers when they learn that their precious time slot has been taken over by multimillionaires who both speak the "language of the ghetto" (to quote Newt Gingrich).

But this show was breaking old habits even on the Spanish-language network. For one thing, over the years Univision has proudly refused to run anything containing much English at all. In addition, Jennifer Lopez and, to some degree, Marc Anthony, fall into a segment of Latino celebrity talent who have much less to do with Spanish-language TV in the United States than with mainstream media. The cross onto Spanish-language airwaves from the mainstream is pretty uncommon. Finally, the show is notable for shining a positive spotlight on black Hispanics, whose appearance on Univision has been relatively rare.

"Q'Viva" isn't your average reality show in other important ways. It's about roots and respect. It's about finding and sharing Latin performance talent with the world as well as an invitation to join two star performers of Puerto Rican descent as they steep themselves in all that it means to be Latino. And regardless of what you think of J. Lo and Marc Anthony, as a couple or as artists, you would be hard-pressed to find more appropriate leaders for this cross-cultural journey. I would be remiss if I didn't include a shout out to choreographer Jamie King, who travels with the stars in search of talent in 20 countries. It's a legacy piece for the stars' children and a real love letter to the Latino community.

During a week in which Time magazine's cover reads "Yo Decido," I am crossing my fingers and hoping that Latinos and non-Latinos alike tune in to "Q'Viva." While its popularity on Univision is important and impressive, the show's success on English-language TV could be a game changer. Strong ratings on Fox will signal that non-Latinos, as well as those often described as "assimilated Latinos," got the message and that this is not just a passion project that preaches to the choir. Although it's important to remember, there's nothing wrong with the choir.

Master of Jenology

Mar 02, 2012#47

Jennifer Lopez In 'Q'Viva': A Talent Search Goes Bilingual, With A Dash Of Drama

Audio for this story from All Things Considered will be available at approx. 7:00 p.m. ET

March 2, 2012

* Transcript

Marc Anthony and Jennifer Lopez travel to Latin America in search of talent in Q'Viva! The Chosen, premiering Saturday, March 3 on Fox.

Their marriage may be over, but singers Jennifer Lopez and Marc Anthony have come together for a new TV show that seeks out talent from throughout Latin America. It's been airing on Spanish language TV in the U.S. and in 21 countries. And as NPR's Mandalit del Barco reports on today's All Things Considered, the show will also premiere on Fox this weekend, with English subtitles.

You may well be aware that Lopez and Anthony aren't together anymore, but last fall, they joined up with Jamie King, who has directed and choreographed stage shows for everyone from Rihanna to Cirque du Soleil. The trio traveled through Central and South America and the Caribbean and filmed their search. Unlike a lot of other TV talent judges, they weren't just looking for singers, but also for instrumentalists, dancers, and others. (Expect to see some fire-breathing acrobats.)

The resulting show, called Q'Viva! The Chosen, is part reality show and part international talent show.

King isn't just in this for the TV show; he says the end product of Q'Viva will be a Las Vegas spectacular he's producing in April or May, just after the series ends. "We want to create greatest Latin show ever seen," he says. intend greatest performers we discovered. expose to world in the way we do shows.

The show is a mix of English and Spanish, sometimes weaving them together in the same comment, and it has subtitles as needed on both Univision and Fox. It also links Lopez with a familiar producer: Simon Fuller, who also founded American Idol, where she's now a judge.

Naturally, as excited as everyone is about showing off the talent, everyone is also excited about the possibilities inherent in showing Jennifer Lopez and Marc Anthony to an audience that's undoubtedly curious about what their relationship is like these days. King acknowledges that watching them interact may draw in some viewers who wouldn't necessarily otherwise flock to an international talent show. In one scene, for instance, Lopez bops her estranged husband on the head as he ogles some sexy salsa dancers in Puerto Rico.

Ah, banter — the international language.

26K8,905
                                              Doctor of Jenology
                                              26K8,905

Mar 03, 2012#48

LA Times

Jennifer Lopez and Marc Anthony hope 'Q'Viva! The Chosen' translates

Jennifer Lopez and Marc Anthony hope that nothing is lost in translation when 'Q'Viva! The Chosen' is retooled on Fox for English-speaking audiences.

By Yvonne Villarreal, Los Angeles Times

March 3, 2012

"Q'Viva! The Chosen," which premieres Saturday on Fox, is certainly not the only reality show that seeks to mint new stars from undiscovered musical, dancing and singing talent — even on its own network.

But the program does stand alone in another respect — it is the first bilingual competition series to be broadcast on a major network. The 12-part series, starring Jennifer Lopez and her former husband Marc Anthony, travels through 21 countries in Latin and South America in search of new talent, and naturally much of the conversation is in Spanish.

A Spanish language version of the program already began airing in January on Univision, where it opened to just more than 2 million viewers. The show is being retooled for an English-speaking audience — subtitles will be used when contestants or judges speak Spanish or Portuguese. Voice-over transitions that originally aired in Spanish were redone in English as well as segments featuring Lopez and Anthony speaking in Spanish. The show will be roughly 70% in English, according to Michael Herwick, one of the show's executive producers.

"I wanted to make a show that the Latin community could identify with, be proud of and enjoy, while at the same time, introduce an entirely new audience," wrote Simon Fuller, who is producing "Q'Viva!" and is also the creator and executive producer of Fox's"American Idol," in an email. "The DNA of the show is that it was made to be seen in any country and in any language while still retaining the authenticity and Latin flavor."

Despite its high wattage stars, the 12-episode series is getting a relatively quiet launch and a tough time slot — Saturdays at 8 p.m, where it temporarily replaces "Cops." Still, Lopez seemed confident the series will find its footing and isn't worried about potential language barriers.

"I think it'll do fine," she told The Times at a party for "American Idol" where snippets of "Q'Viva" played on TV screens. "People are used to seeing different languages on TV. And I think when shows are good, they transcend language. And I think this one is good."

The bulk of bilingual programming airs on channels such as MTV Tr3s, mun2, SiTV and LATV where its aim is to bridge the gap between American and Latin culture primarily for young viewers. Spanish-language networks have experimented with bilingual programming before — Univision aired "El Show With Paul Rodriguez" in the early '90s. More recently, Telemundo is trying out a Spanglish talk show with Cristina Saralegui. And even Nickelodeon's massive hit "Dora the Explorer" dabbles with Spanish for its young viewers.

But "Q'Viva: The Chosen" is something new for a major network. In the rare instances when Spanish was broadcast on a major network in the past, the Spanish was typically extremely brief or played for comic effect — a device that dates to Ricky Ricardo's Spanish outbursts on"I Love Lucy"in the 1950s.

"You never know how things will work out unless you try them," said Tim Brooks, a TV historian. "I guess Fox deserves a bit of credit for what they're doing here, in that sense. One of the problems the major networks have had over the past 20 years or so has been their lack of experimentation. All of that seems to happen on cable."

In view of the country's sweeping demographic changes, Alex Nogales, president and chief executive of the National Hispanic Media Coalition, said Fox's decision to air the program is not surprising.

"A great majority of the Latino population in the United States is English-speaking and have an English-language preference," Nogales said. "When you consider that, Fox, or any other network, would be foolish not to start exploring those waters. This is a good way for Fox to get into the business of programming for Latinos."

In the last year, Fox has launched the English-language digital venture, Fox News Latino, as a way to reach the demographic. And last month, Univision and Disney are in talks to produce a 24-hour news channel for Latinos in English.

According to a 2011 report by Scarborough Research, almost a third of Latinos in the U.S. prefer to speak English more than Spanish, or English and Spanish equally.

Whether "Q'Viva" will be appeal to that group or even non-Latinos remains to be seen. But Chon Noriega, director of UCLA's Chicano Studies Research Center, believes that as a first step in bilingual programming for a major network, the reality format was a good idea.

"You can watch'The Apprentice'without the sound on and know exactly what's happening," he said. "Reality programming is more readable."

The question is, Nogales said, are people really interested to see untapped talent from Latin countries, or will curiosity lie in how newly divorced Lopez and Anthony interact.

"Who's not going to watch just to see the chisme?" he said. "That's some good chisme: 'Oh, did you see the way he looked at her?' Oooh."

Doctor of Jenology

Mar 03, 2012#49

cant wait!

46K3,606
                                                  Admin
                                                  46K3,606

Mar 03, 2012#50

Breaking barriers, as always! :love

Read more posts (173 remaining)