23K5,924
Doctor of Jenology
23K5,924

Oct 23, 2017#876

daisylo wrote:Kingsman the golden circle I enjoyed it almost as much as the first one, the actions is so over the top yiu can't get bored watching it and Julianne Moore was great as the baddie.

Gifted Liked it more than I expected, the story has been done a thousand times but this one felt more sincere and it mixed the moving and funny moments well, also loved the young actress .

Barry Seal Disappointed by this one I absolutely loved the trailer but expect a couple of good scenes it felt flat.
    Agreed on all.

Oh my god, The Only Living Boy in New York is so bad. I have now seen enough films written by Allan Loeb to confidently say he's my least favorite writer in Hollywood. He's the mastermind behind Collateral Beauty, and this movie is even worse, if you can imagine. The way this guy writes dialogue for his characters makes me think he hasn't had any kind of interaction with another human being in his life. And like in Collateral Beauty, there's a plot twist near the end of this one, that I feel like a daytime soap would have more dignity not to attempt because of how contrived it is. The movie is 88 minutes long, but every minute feels like an eternity. The only thing that's decent about it is Cynthia Nixon, but she isn't in it nearly enough to make any difference. I have no idea how this movie even got made. You'd think the guy who's made (500) Days of Summer would know better.

Doctor of Jenology

Oct 23, 2017#877

nixy1991 wrote:Blade Runner 2049 was really fantastic. It took me by surprise how much I liked it, considering I had no expectations going in. It improves on the original in pretty much every way, and I feel like it's definitely important to watch the first Blade Runner before you go into this one. From what I can tell, the people who found it slow are usually the ones who aren't familiar with the original. I thought it was excellently paced (Denis Villeneuve's movies usually are) and far more action-packed than the original. The story itself isn't anything groundbreaking, it's actually very predictable, and some of it is really corny and contrived, but the film's presentation makes up for all that entirely. It's quite an experience, and probably my favorite Villeneuve movie so far. It's a shame that big-budget movies this great, ambitious and well-realized struggle at the box office, while boring, generic ones like IT become huge global smashes.
      Completely agree with you! Absolutely loved this movie. Definitely in my top 5 of the year for me. This was hard to market tho because not everyone loves the original Blade Runner like some others and with the huge budget it had, it was already going to face struggle making its money back. I would definitely rewatch this one, merely on visuals alone, every frame was just so beautiful, I could not take my eyes off and was not bored by any second of the movie. Roger Deakins is a master, but not to take away from Denis because this was his vision ultimately, and Roger enhanced it that much. I wish JLo would get on her shit, take her acting career seriously and get with Denis, Nolan to direct her, and Deakins to shoot her... Ugh that was be amazing. But anyways, hopefully it becomes a cult hit after released on digital/Blu-ray given the poor box office. Disagree with your comments about IT tho, I loved that movie too! LOL.

14K6,346
      Contributor
      14K6,346

Oct 26, 2017#878

nixy1991 wrote: Agreed on all.

Oh my god, The Only Living Boy in New York is so bad. I have now seen enough films written by Allan Loeb to confidently say he's my least favorite writer in Hollywood. He's the mastermind behind Collateral Beauty, and this movie is even worse, if you can imagine. The way this guy writes dialogue for his characters makes me think he hasn't had any kind of interaction with another human being in his life. And like in Collateral Beauty, there's a plot twist near the end of this one, that I feel like a daytime soap would have more dignity not to attempt because of how contrived it is. The movie is 88 minutes long, but every minute feels like an eternity. The only thing that's decent about it is Cynthia Nixon, but she isn't in it nearly enough to make any difference. I have no idea how this movie even got made. You'd think the guy who's made (500) Days of Summer would know better.
        didn't know he directed Gifted he did a decent job on that

23K5,924
        Doctor of Jenology
        23K5,924

Oct 26, 2017#879

daisylo wrote:didn't know he directed Gifted he did a decent job on that
          A lot of people hate him because of his Spider-Man movies, but he really isn't a bad director. You can tell he wanted to make something special with this one too, but how do you do that when the majority of stuff characters say and do is complete nonsense.

Everybody should check out Ingrid Goes West. Aubrey Plaza gives one of the best performances of the year. I've always liked her, but it seems like she's been playing characters too similar to April in every movie since Parks, even in The Little Hours earlier this year. But here she gets to do so much more than her usual deadpan stuff. I was so impressed by the range she showcased, there are scenes where it feels like she goes through the entire spectrum of emotions during a single minute. Elizabeth Olsen is great as usual, but I've never seen her play a character like this before. The whole movie plays like a ticking timebomb or cringe waiting to explode. It's very Single White Female-ish, and there's been a ton of movies like that since, and this is by far the best one of them all. Personally I could've done with a less predictable ending, but I've read a lot of people think it was great. Don't miss it, it's so much fun.

Nov 01, 2017#880

OMG

14K6,346
            Contributor
            14K6,346

Nov 01, 2017#881

AAh this looks amazing it's a great trailer if the movie is actually good this might be Margot's "To die for"

Nov 01, 2017#882

Nixy did you watch Logan Lucky?

23K5,924
                Doctor of Jenology
                23K5,924

Nov 01, 2017#883

No, we didn't get it here. :( I have to wait to watch it online.

Seeing Ragnarok tonight, though. Better be good.

14K6,346
                  Contributor
                  14K6,346

Nov 01, 2017#884

I might go see it tomorrow, Ragnarok looks pretty fun but I'm not a fan of the Thor movies I'll go see it tho.

23K5,924
                    Doctor of Jenology
                    23K5,924

Nov 02, 2017#885

Ragnarok was great! The thing I appreciate most is that Marvel let the director's voice break through all their unnecessarily convoluted world building for once. Most of the movies in this universe, no matter how fun they are (at least the first time) look and feel like they could've been directed by a robot. Guardians and Ragnarok are the exceptions, and they're by far the best MCU films because of it.

Ragnarok is definitely a Thor movie, but it also feels like a very organic follow-up to Taika's Hunt for the Wilderpeople, which is probably the most impressive thing about it. His humor is all over this movie - it's a full on comedy, even more so than Guardians - so be prepared for that.

Tessa Thomson and Hulk steal the movie, Chris is the best he's ever been, Hiddleston is more annoying than he's ever been, and Cate isn't in the movie all that much, but she makes quite an impression in the scenes she's in.

All in all - probably my favorite Marvel movie. I had a blast and I can't wait to see it again. And Daisy, if you didn't like the first two Thor movies, I think you should see this one anyway. It turns the entire trilogy on its head, it's VERY campy and self-deprecating. It's more in line with the Guardians movies than the rest of MCU.

BTW I had NO idea Linklater has a new movie out.

14K6,346
                      Contributor
                      14K6,346

Nov 02, 2017#886

^ great I'll go see Ragnarok next week.

Logan Lucky was so good imo Soderbergh is at his best with this type comedies and it's so well written a little crazy full of surprises and great characters, this should have done so much better at the box-office. I really hope Jen will get to work with him again

saw the Last Flag Flying trailer a few months ago didn't know it was Linklater

Nov 06, 2017#887

Looks like Molly’s Game is getting rave reviews and they say it’s Chastain best performance to date that must be something, exciting.

23K5,924
                          Doctor of Jenology
                          23K5,924

Nov 06, 2017#888

I had a feeling Sorkin would kill it, and I'd watch anything with her. Hope she gets nominated this time because I'm still pissed about her snub for A Most Violent Year. Miss Sloane too, she pretty much carried that entire movie.

2017 has been a ridiculously good year for movies, and there's still like 2 months left and none of the big Oscar baity movies have even come out yet. My best of list will have like 25 titles. Hopefully this doesn't mean 2018 will suck, because that's usually how it goes.

14K6,346
                            Contributor
                            14K6,346

Nov 07, 2017#889

You were right about Ragnarok, can't believe that a Thor movie end up being one of my favorite Marvel it was just a blast from beginning to end, Thor is usually such a bland character but he completely comes alive in this film, also loved Tessa Thompson and Hulk of course, I'm soso on Blanchett's character but it was still fun to see her like that.
                              Now I want to see some of Taika Waititi previous work.

23K5,924
                              Doctor of Jenology
                              23K5,924

Nov 07, 2017#890

daisylo wrote:You were right about Ragnarok, can't believe that a Thor movie end up being one of my favorite Marvel it was just a blast from beginning to end, Thor is usually such a bland character but he completely comes alive in this film, also loved Tessa Thompson and Hulk of course, I'm soso on Blanchett's character but it was still fun to see her like that.
                                Now I want to see some of Taika Waititi previous work.
                                Oh yay!

:jenclap2

I'd check out Hunt for the Wilderpeople first. He really came into his own with that movie, it's so good.

14K6,346
                                Contributor
                                14K6,346

Nov 07, 2017#891

ah that's the one I downloaded.

Intermediate Jenology

Nov 08, 2017#892

I loved Beatriz At Dinner. It's from the writer of the incredible and very underrated HBO show Enlightened with Laura Dern that ran for only two seasons a few years ago. I wish Jen would do something like that: an original, provocative, meaningful independent film that showcases her talent. I never cared much for Salma but she's amazing in this movie.

Intro to Jenology

Nov 12, 2017#893

Met her 2 yrs ago in Lon , RIP :(

23K5,924
                                      Doctor of Jenology
                                      23K5,924

Nov 18, 2017#894

Bitch: The most 'WTF did I just watch' movie experience of the year. You'd really have to be an adventurous movie fan to even consider giving this one a try after knowing the premise, let alone sit through it. I can't say I liked it, it really got on my nerves and it left me really angry and disoriented, but I feel like that's what the film was going for anyway, so kudos. I appreciate how daring it is, but it really starts dragging after the halfway point, and it's far too weird to recommend it to anyone.

Murder on the Orient Express: What made Hollywood think this story needed yet another adaptation I will never know. Everybody already knows how it plays out, so if you're not going to do anything creative with it filmmaking-wise, why even spend all that money and energy doing the same thing Sidney Lumet did (and far more effectively) 40 years ago? Also, one of the most grating, overcooked scores of the year.

Logan Lucky: Fantastic, as expected. Soderberg's sweet spot are these more lighthearted heist/crime movies, as opposed to the more serious stuff like Contagion. Great script, entertaining as hell, fast paced, perfectly cast (I'm keeping an eye on Riley Keough, she's quite the rising star, and she's making really interesting choices so far), but I call BS on Soderbergh's whole 'If I thought Jennifer was right for another part in my movie I'd cast her' line. Hilary Swank's character in this movie screamed Jen to me. It's a brief role, but not only would that have been a cute little reference to Karen Sisco, if he directed her the same way he did Swank, Jennifer would have killed this role. Get it together, Steven.

I Do... Until I Don't: Lake Bell's disappointing and forgettable follow up to the great "In a World".

Patty Cake$: It's hard for a generic and cliched movie to win me over, but this one somehow did. It mostly has to do with the characters, every single one of them is interesting and well-developed, and Danielle Macdonald gives one of the best performances of the year. It's entertaining and uplifting, but I just wish it was less predictable.

Justice League: Worse than Suicide Squad, because at least that one was unintentionally funny, this one is just plain boring. I think I nodded off three times during it. The storyline is generic, predictable and barely existent, the CGI is trash like in all other DCEU movies so far, none of the characters have any substance to them, the performances are wooden and unenthusiastic, Ben Affleck looks like he just came out of a coma, the jokes are corny, there's no sense of danger, and the whole thing is just one big fat expensive waste of time. The audience I saw it with seemed to have loved it, though. Don't know what those people were on.

14K6,346
                                        Contributor
                                        14K6,346

Nov 20, 2017#895

nixy1991 wrote:
                                          Logan Lucky: Fantastic, as expected. Soderberg's sweet spot are these more lighthearted heist/crime movies, as opposed to the more serious stuff like Contagion. Great script, entertaining as hell, fast paced, perfectly cast (I'm keeping an eye on Riley Keough, she's quite the rising star, and she's making really interesting choices so far), but I call BS on Soderbergh's whole 'If I thought Jennifer was right for another part in my movie I'd cast her' line. Hilary Swank's character in this movie screamed Jen to me. It's a brief role, but not only would that have been a cute little reference to Karen Sisco, if he directed her the same way he did Swank, Jennifer would have killed this role. Get it together, Steven.

that would have been great but I really doubt she would accept such a small role even for Soderbergh, but she definitly should

26K8,905
                                          Doctor of Jenology
                                          26K8,905

Nov 20, 2017#896

daisylo wrote: that would have been great but I really doubt she would accept such a small role even for Soderbergh, but she definitly should
                                            Why wouldn't she? :coffee

14K6,346
                                            Contributor
                                            14K6,346

Nov 21, 2017#897

J wrote:
                                              daisylo wrote: that would have been great but I really doubt she would accept such a small role even for Soderbergh, but she definitly should
                                              Why wouldn't she? :coffee
                                              Because she wants to be in the front, the star of the show always a role that was 10 minutes on screen well she never did it.

23K5,924
                                              Doctor of Jenology
                                              23K5,924

Nov 21, 2017#898

She's hardly the most in-demand actress in Hollywood, she wouldn't be dumb enough (I hope) to decline roles like that, especially if an auteur like Soderbergh offers her one. I really wish she's start doing smaller parts here and there that don't require a lot of time on set, she's absent from the big screen for 2 or 3 years at a time, which is ridiculous.

14K6,346
                                                Contributor
                                                14K6,346

Nov 21, 2017#899

She should have started doing that years ago.

23K5,924
                                                  Doctor of Jenology
                                                  23K5,924

Nov 29, 2017#900

Read more posts (2297 remaining)