Jenny in new Tommy Mottola documentary: The Latin Explosion!

Jenny in new Tommy Mottola documentary: The Latin Explosion!

Doctor of Jenology

May 25, 2015#1

Tommy Mottola Working On HBO Documentary 'The Latin Explosion':

Former Sony Music big boss Tommy Mottola is working on an HBO documentary titled “The Latin Explosion,” with will include talents such as Shakira, Jennifer Lopez, Ricky Martin, Thalía, Eva Longoria, Sofía Vergara, Marc Anthony, Gloria Estefan, George Lopez and John Leguizamo as the narrator for both, the English version and a voice-over version in Spanish for HBO Latino. This will make it the largest pool of Latino talent to ever assemble for a film, and it’s probably because Mottola started some of these stars’ careers after signing them while at Sony.

Thalía’s husband left Sony 12 years ago, when he was at the very top of his game, and now, he will be the executive producer for the documentary, which will be a tell-all about the “history of Latin music and how it has influenced culture — beyond Latino culture, into American culture.” Mottola took great part in the crossing over for some of the participating stars, after some of them started out in their home countries, before making it big in the US.

The idea could’ve come to Mottola after starring in the PBS documentary “Latin Music USA,” narrated by Jimmy Smits, and the film is slated to debut at Sundance 2016, before hitting the small screens later that year. We cant wait!

Latin Times.

Master of Jenology

May 25, 2015#2

cool, i wanna see it ;)

Intro to Jenology

May 25, 2015#3

ooooh my other faves husband! I love Thalia! Excited to see this. He's going to feature all the Latin greats. Yesss

Doctor of Jenology

May 27, 2015#4

Mariah will watch!

14K2,614
          Doctor of Jenology
          14K2,614

May 27, 2015#5

sorry but Thalia isnt part of the Latin Explosion, her crossover Sucks and flops, and Tommy just add her because its his wife!!

Doctor of Jenology

May 28, 2015#6

rafaelsalguero wrote:sorry but Thalia isnt part of the Latin Explosion, her crossover Sucks and flops, and Tommy just add her because its his wife!!
              HAHAHAHAHAY, TRUE... They tried to do with Thalia a new JLO, but she's going to be because is the wife of producer.

Master of Jenology

May 28, 2015#7

oohh disgusting to watch shakira in the same documentary

Master of Jenology

May 28, 2015#8

rafaelsalguero wrote:sorry but Thalia isnt part of the Latin Explosion, her crossover Sucks and flops, and Tommy just add her because its his wife!!
                  Why not? This was not only a musical explosion, but a cultural one too. She made the world fall in love with her characters. Latin telenovelas were never the same after her. Here in Brazil she managed to sell in spanish more than one million copies. Her success was definetely part of this process, at least ww.

14K2,614
                  Doctor of Jenology
                  14K2,614

May 28, 2015#9

Thalia's telenovelas are a HIT worldwide YES
                    But the Latin Explosion was a "Musical Thing" on 1999-2001 with: J.Lo, Ricky, Enrique, Santana, Shakira, Christina

Thalia & Paulina, try to make a crossover but they cant do it, Thalia was a JLO wannabe, and Paulina a Britney wannabe, Shakira was a Lucky Girl with the right singles choices

Master of Jenology

May 28, 2015#10

rafaelsalguero wrote:Thalia's telenovelas are a HIT worldwide YES
                      But the Latin Explosion was a "Musical Thing" on 1999-2001 with: J.Lo, Ricky, Enrique, Santana, Shakira, Christina

Thalia & Paulina, try to make a crossover but they cant do it, Thalia was a JLO wannabe, and Paulina a Britney wannabe, Shakira was a Lucky Girl with the right singles choices

I see a Thalia hater in here, lol.

Latin explosion was not only a ''musical thing'', but a ''cultural thing'', from beauty to arts. Google it.

Master of Jenology

May 28, 2015#11

shakira se arrodilló y chupó la correcta para llegar donde está :coffee
                        el problema de thalia fue querer copiar a jennifer y se le sumó la mala suerte :/ es una lastima porque ella es muy talentosa actuando y cantando, ojalá hubiera sido diferentes las cosas!

14K2,614
                        Doctor of Jenology
                        14K2,614

May 28, 2015#12

I'm not a Hater, I like THALIA
                          But she wasnt part of the Musical Latin Explosion, thats the True, and her problem was 'I Want You' was a total JLO Style song even the music video was a remake of IGBA lol. I love her Spanish songs, but like DtothaLO says her problem was try to be a new J.Lo

14K2,771
                          Contributor
                          14K2,771

May 28, 2015#13

Interesting!
                            Read Tommy's book as well, have lots of respect for him

14K6,346
                            Contributor
                            14K6,346

May 28, 2015#14

Bachelor of Jenology

May 28, 2015#15

I hope the documentary will be well and it's important for Latinas like myself that women like Jen represents us
                                Mille Backer wrote:HAHAHAHAHAY, TRUE... They tried to do with Thalia a new JLO, but she's going to be because is the wife of producer.
                                Exactly !

10K7
                                Doctor of Jenology
                                10K7

Aug 25, 2015#16

Jennifer Lopez, Sofia Vergara Among Artists Featured In HBO Docu ‘The Latin Explosion’

HBO’s documentary film The Latin Explosion: A New America is set to debut Monday, November 16 on HBO and HBO Latino and simulcast in Latin America and the Caribbean.

Created and executive produced by music mogul Tommy Mottola, The Latin Explosion: A New America celebrates the artists and visionaries who have exploded onto the U.S. music scene and gone on to become global superstars, showing how they have influenced every aspect of American society, from culture to politics to the economy. The film ranges from the cha-cha and mambo crazes of the ‘50s, with Desi Arnaz and Rita Moreno, and the edgier ‘60s, reflected by Carlos Santana and Jose Feliciano, to the exciting new sound of salsa in the ‘70s and the emergence of superstars Gloria Estefan and Emilio Estefan in the ‘80s.

The film also spotlights the Latino boom of the late ‘90s, led by Ricky Martin, Shakira, Mark Anthony and Jennifer Lopez, and today’s hottest stars, Pitbull and Romeo Santos. Some of the featured artists discuss how their crossover hits have played a role in defining the American experience, setting the stage for today’s Latin Explosion.

Other artists featured include Eva Longoria, George Lopez, Los Lobos, Cheech Marin, Thalía and Sofía Vergara. John Leguizamo is the narrator.

“We have assembled the largest array of Latino superstars ever in a film telling a powerful story of their history and immigration, politics, and rise from a small minority population to the most critical demographic in the United States,” comments Mottola.

“Working with Richard Plepler and Sheila Nevins at HBO has been one of the best and richest experiences of my career, and there could be no better home for this film and its important message than HBO,” he adds.

The Latin Explosion: A New America is directed and produced by Matthew O’Neill and Jon Alpert. Sheila Nevins exec produces, Sara Bernstein is supervising producer and Xochitl Dorsey produces.

http://deadline.com/2015/08/jennifer-lo ... 201505806/

Intro to Jenology

Aug 25, 2015#17

Cool!

12K1,502
                                    Doctor of Jenology
                                    12K1,502

Aug 25, 2015#18

Sorry but thaila what ever she is called is a non factor has she even had major hits that are recognised outside the Latin market that people still know and use today the old school generation and the new? I don't think so.

And shakira first to cross over singles were Huge but they came out a few years after the Latin explosion happened in 2001-2002 when it was more hip hop urban dominating.

The Latin explosion was 1998-2000/2001 it was Enrique, Ricky Martin and JLo that was dominating globally and songs like mambo number 5 etc were Huge around the millennium time.

So I wouldn't even class shakira as been part of it or even marc Anthony.

12K11,426
                                      Contributor
                                      12K11,426

Aug 25, 2015#19

Looking forward to this. And to answer the question above whether or not Shakira, Thalia, and Marc were apart of the Latin explosion momment or not they were all three way more successful then Jen was before that "momment" happen. Those three are very much part of history making for the Latin community, amongst many others.

12K1,502
                                        Doctor of Jenology
                                        12K1,502

Aug 25, 2015#20

Crazy4JenL wrote:Looking forward to this. And to answer the question above whether or not Shakira, Thalia, and Marc were apart of the Latin explosion momment or not they were all three way more successful then Jen was before that "momment" happen. Those three are very much part of history making for the Latin community, amongst many others.
                                          Well if Jennifer didn't release any music before her debut of course they was... But Jennifer sold over 12 million records from her on the 6 era alone more then the said 3 did with any of there albums and by time the JLo era was over she sold over 20 million records that's more then any of them 3 did and she's surpassed marc Anthony by her second release. Shakira I'm not sure on she only really became known with whenever wherever. But I don't she she sold over 20 million before she crossed over? I'm not trying to down play any off then but ricky,Enrique, JLo was at the time the big 3 duo that sent the music industry upside down. Ricky was fucking mega huge when he arrived then jen was Enrique want as big as both of them. But it was deffo ricky and Jens singles sizzling up there airwaves globally.

Bachelor of Jenology

Aug 25, 2015#21

selena lopez wrote:Sorry but thaila what ever she is called is a non factor has she even had major hits that are recognised outside the Latin market that people still know and use today the old school generation and the new? I don't think so.

And shakira first to cross over singles were Huge but they came out a few years after the Latin explosion happened in 2001-2002 when it was more hip hop urban dominating.

The Latin explosion was 1998-2000/2001 it was Enrique, Ricky Martin and JLo that was dominating globally and songs like mambo number 5 etc were Huge around the millennium time.

So I wouldn't even class shakira as been part of it or even marc Anthony.

I agree 100% with you!

If someone opened doors for Latin stars was Gloria Estefan .. then after her came J.LO, Ricky and Enrique in the late 90's and beginning of 2000's with the Latin explosion.

Shikira and Marc Anthony came later with some hits in 2003 thanks to the successful hits of Ricky ('Vive la vida loca', 'la copa de la vida', etc.), J.LO ('if you had my love', 'let's get loud', 'waiting for tonight', etc.) and Enrique.

:smile: :smile:

Intro to Jenology

Aug 26, 2015#22

I think all of them contributed one way or an other to put the Latin community to a totally different level. All of them deserve a place in this documentary. Not to be a hater or a buzz killer, but you know Shakira is the second best selling artist of all time? Fist is Gloria Estefan.

Aug 26, 2015#23

I think all of them contributed one way or an other to put the Latin community to a totally different level. All of them deserve a place in this documentary. Not to be a hater or a buzz killer, but you know Shakira is the second best selling artist of all time? First is Gloria Estefan.

10K7
                                                Doctor of Jenology
                                                10K7

Aug 26, 2015#24

^ Yes.

After the Deadline article, it's pretty clear what they mean by "Latin Explosion" and it's NOT referring to the 1998-2000 music period when J-Lo, Ricky and Enrique ruled the game, that some of you guys are still insisting. It's way more in-depth than that. They will include artists since the 50s till nowadays and it's not only about music at all. Read it again: http://deadline.com/2015/08/jennifer-lo ... 201505806/

All these names have a big impact in the Latin culture and deserve to be a part of this project. This is a J-Lo forum, but she is not the only one, guys. Thalia is a Latin icon and worldwide recognized, even if it's mostly due to her telenovelas lol. This discussion has no sense anymore.

Side note: Why they didn't mention Enrique in the articles, does he have some feud with Mottola or something lol? It's so weird, he is one of the most successful Latinos all-time in this business.

Master of Jenology

Aug 26, 2015#25

ImIntoJLo wrote:Why they didn't mention Enrique in the articles, does he have some feud with Mottola or something lol? It's so weird, he is one of the most successful Latinos all-time in this business.
                                                    I think because he is from Spain...and its like Europe for the US and Latino community ,there Latino is more a race or ethnic group of South America than the word meaning...
                                                    Which is ironic , because Spain is even more Latino cuz Latino is something that is natural to people who speak languages ​​derived from Latin (Spain says hello!)

Read more posts (26 remaining)