Tour Reviews

Tour Reviews

15K5
Doctor of Jenology
15K5

Oct 01, 2007#1

Maybe we should post all the review in one Topic !

here's a new one.

High on J. Lo And higher on her husband, Marc Anthony Monday, October 01, 2007 BY JAY LUSTIG Star-Ledger Staff POP/ROCK Jennifer Lopez's Friday night set at the Mark Etess Arena at the Trump Taj Mahal in Atlantic City started with a recitation that went, in part, "I will brave the unknown, brave the uncharted." Then she did just that. Lopez has been releasing hit-filled albums since 1999 (her next, "Brave," comes out Oct. 9). But, preoccupied by her busy film career and all the other distractions involved in the J. Lo lifestyle, she has never gotten around to putting together a concert tour until now. That's right. Friday's show launched her first concert tour. Ever. She demonstrated no signs of nervousness as she presented a slick, fast-paced set, with all the trappings of pop divadom. A troupe of backing dancers joined her on many songs, and she made a number of quick costume changes (the loose-fitting outfits she wore won't help dispel the rumors that she is pregnant). There were fireworks, confetti, huge video screens, and hydraulic lifts for entrances and exits. She has more going for her than any tour virgin in pop history. Fans know her songs by heart. As an A-list celebrity, she creates excitement just by showing up: People are thrilled just to be in the same room with her, and be able to grab a shot of her on their cell phones. And, probably, no first-time tourer has done it with such a stellar opening act/duet partner. Salsa and pop singer Marc Anthony, her husband, has had plenty of hits of his own. But he settled for second billing, realizing, perhaps, that while he is a seasoned arena headliner, Lopez's presence makes the tour an "event." At Friday's show, which kicked off a two-night stand at the Taj (there will also be shows at Madison Square Garden, Sunday and Oct. , comedian Joey Vega opened with a short set. Then Anthony and Lopez each appeared for slightly more than an hour, separately; they both sang in Spanish and English, though Anthony stuck mostly to the former, and Lopez to the latter. They closed the show with two Spanish duets, "Por Arriesgarnos" (with Anthony making a dramatic entrance, mid-song) and "No Me Ames." Each duet ended with a kiss.

Anthony was backed by 15 musicians and singers, and Lopez used a smaller version of the same band; her music is less layered than his, so she didn't need some of the horn players and percussionists. She stuck mostly to upbeat, beat-heavy pop songs like "Waiting for Tonight," "Let's Get Loud" and "Jenny From the Block," with an occasional ballad such as "Me Haces Falta" (from her first Spanish-language album, "Como Ama Una Mujer," released in March). She sang reasonably well, though she's more of a Janet Jackson than a Whitney Houston. In other words, she's not a stunning vocal stylist, but she doesn't have to be. She gets by on the strength of her material, and her production, and her personality. She's not a Madonna, either -- she's not particularly interested in making statements, or pushing buttons. Anthony's set had a different flavor, with more of an emphasis on his band's powerful, relentless grooves. But Anthony also left no doubt who is the vocal master in the family, holding notes for impossibly long periods of time in the songs "Aguanile" and "Hasta Que Te Conoci." It might have been an act, but both Anthony and Lopez seemed to be relishing the event. "It's such a special evening, in so many ways," said Anthony. "You guys are the first to witness this moment in our lives." "How amazing is Marc?" Lopez asked, soon after she took the stage, then virtually repeated her husband's comment about it being a special night. Bathing in the audience's admiration, a little later, she seemed to be genuinely moved, and said, "Don't let me get all emotional, because I know it won't stop!"
    http://www.nj.com/entertainment/ledger/ ... xml&coll=1

20K2,682
    Admin
    20K2,682

Oct 01, 2007#2

Thanks Nadia!
      Twitter: @timmylovesjlo

Doctor of Jenology

Oct 01, 2007#3

this is great! anymore reviews?

Doctor of Jenology

Oct 01, 2007#4

Lol just came here to post this. Thanks =D

Bachelor of Jenology

Oct 01, 2007#5

thank you!

46K3,606
            Admin
            46K3,606

Oct 01, 2007#6

Music Review
              Lopez, Anthony sparkle in duets, dance
              By Kevin L. Carter

For The Inquirer

When Jennifer Lopez and Marc Anthony got together for their penultimate tune, "Por Arriesgarnos," during their Marc G. Etess Arena show at the Trump Taj Mahal in Atlantic City Saturday night, two things were apparent: how much Anthony outclasses his honey as a singer, and the mad passion this Boricua power couple have for each other.

Lopez and Anthony have all the ingredients needed to cement their place in Latin and crossover stardom forever: looks (Jennifer), brains (both, but Marc says Jen is the boss), and talent (Marc).

It was obvious, though, that onstage, especially in the duets with her marido, Lopez looked happy, centered, and content with her life, and especially her life with her husband. Either that's how things really are, or she's a really good actress (and she's never been accused of that before).

Lopez, who performed for the second half of the show before joining her hubby at the end, produced a slick, stylized show drawing from everything from Latin pop (her album Como Ama Una Mujer, released this year) to hip-hop. Her dancing was precise, if a bit subdued - no Fly Girl tricks for her at 39 - but her singing was mousy (she had electronic help on a couple tracks) and uninspiring.

Anthony definitely has skills - he's got an elastic, clear tenor, excellent control, and a knack for drawing the audience to him - and his show focused heavily on the Spanish-language tropical salsa material that made him a star long before he and Lopez ever became an item.

"Aguanile," with which Anthony began the night, featured a video backdrop of Puerto Rican urban scenery and smart, impassioned singing and dancing. An homage to an Afro-Latin deity (and Puerto Rican salsa great Willie Colón), it showed the multiculturality of Anthony's oeuvre. Anthony wordlessly improvised with Iberian twists in his voice over secularized batá drums, and the result was a great beginning.

He continued to run through some old salsa tunes - one, "Mi Gente," came from El Cantante, his movie portrayal of Hector Lavoe, in which Lopez played Lavoe's wife. But he didn't forget the Latin pop tunes that began his move to crossover or his English tunes, such as his massive hit "I Need To Know," that cemented it.

Admin

Oct 08, 2007#7

No Fire in J-Lo's Belly (Was There No Room?) By Teresa Wiltz Washington Post Staff Writer
                Monday, October 8, 2007; Page C01 Friday by day, rumors were rife, blogosphere, baby bump, blah, blah, blah: J-Lo, Marc Anthony, "expected announcement," says "insider." Friday by night, onstage at Verizon Center, rumors were neither dispelled nor discounted, but were seemingly . . . encouraged, thanks to Jennifer Lopez's skillful use of -- dare we say it? -- a rather pregnant pause. After dancing very carefully through her opening number, a rote rendition of her latest single, "Do It Well," the onetime Fly Girl stood onstage, beatifically basking in the applause, and murmured into the mike: "I would like to welcome you to my very first tour." More murmurs about the fabulosity of her singing spousal unit, who'd opened the nearly three-hour show: "How sick is Marc?" And then came the setup: "This is such a special time for me . . ." she cooed, as one hand drifted upward to rest upon the much-speculated-upon-but-at-the- moment-obscured bump.

Silence. On cue, the close-to-capacity crowd roared. Lopez looked startled, per Jumbotron, laughed and said, ever so softly, "Thank you." Busted? Or spin control? After all, Lopez has carved a career out of the art of spin, a talent that's carried her through her many incarnations. Now, she's the seemingly contented 38-year-old matron embarking on a his-n-hers tour with her husband of three years, the outrageously talented salsero and actor Marc Anthony. La Lopez is all about product placement. As concert tours go, "Juntos en Concierto" (Together in Concert) is a risky endeavor. He's the biggest-selling salsa singer of all time, with a loyal fan base of Spanish-language fans; she's a hip-pop singer with a voice made for the studio. On the tickets, Lopez received top billing, while Anthony's name appeared in triple-the-size type, a reflection, perhaps of the careful negotiations needed to manage two massive careers -- and egos. With such a setup, comparisons are inevitable, with Anthony emerging not surprisingly as the more talented and more assured performer by far. The result was an enjoyable but uneven evening that would have benefited greatly, in timing and in pacing, from a more careful blending of the two acts. Instead, it was divided into three parts: His, Hers and Theirs.
                Anthony made his entrance from below the stage, rising to stage level on a platform, dressed in a pearl gray suit and white shirt unbuttoned to reveal a heavy cross, his otherworldly tenor piercing through the smoke, crooning "Aguanile" to a solo flamenco guitar. A chorus of Africanized congos kicked in, mixing in with the flamenco rhythms, reflecting salsa's mezcla, or mixed roots, while the Jumbotron flashed footage from "El Cantante," the biopic starring Anthony as the troubled salsa legend Hector Lavoe and Lopez as his wife, Puchi. Salsa's a sweaty, intimate affair, and Anthony, despite the cavernous locale, managed to evoke that intimacy, drawing in the audience, chatting in both English and Spanish. Anthony is a man who knows how to milk a moment, how to lower the volume in "Hasta Ayer" ("Until Yesterday") until his band's rhythms are just percolating under the surface and then pumping up the volume until the sound swells the theater, forcing the Puerto Rican-flag waving crowd to its feet, dancing in the aisles. "I've never experienced D.C. like this!' he said, hand clasped to chest, momentarily overcome. Similarly wowed was his wife, who appeared surprisingly shy and humble as she stood onstage. "I'm still taking this all in," she said. But where her husband's performance was relaxed and organic, hers was all flashpots, multiple bump-hiding wardrobe changes and video clips from her previous incarnations, with hyperkinetic backup dancers and backup singers to bolster her own more cautious dance moves. She worked her way through her hits, from "If You Had My Love" to "I'm Real," with Ja Rule's raps recorded on tape, to her newer efforts, "Let's Get Loud," to pleasing enough effect. Still, all too often, the music provided by Anthony's fabulous band overpowered her thin vocals, and it was hard to tell where Lopez ended and her backup singers began. Lopez seemed to find her lungs when her husband came back onstage, and the pair sang "Somos Dos" (We're Two") and "No Me Ames" ("Don't Love Me") for a tender finale.

20K2,682
                Admin
                20K2,682

Oct 08, 2007#8

We're two?

Doctor of Jenology

Oct 08, 2007#9

It would be, we're four lol

15K5
                    Doctor of Jenology
                    15K5

Oct 08, 2007#10

J.Lo and Marc Anthony better together Marc Anthony, left, performs a duet with his wife, Jennifer Lopez, during a concert at Madison Square Garden in New York, Sunday, Oct. 7, 2007. (Henny Ray Abrams, Associated Press / October 7, 2007) BY GLENN GAMBOA | [email protected] 10:17 AM EDT, October 8, 2007 There's an ease and an affection between Jennifer Lopez and Marc Anthony that makes their performances even more appealing together than they are separately.

Maybe it comes from always being the biggest power couple in the room -- which is almost always the case, unless they have been on a lot of secret double dates with The Clintons or Bill and Melinda Gates. Maybe it comes from spending so much time together at their Brookville home and on the road. Or maybe they just fit together.

Whatever the case, their duets -- the ballad "Por Arriesgarnos" and the salsafied "No Me Ames" -- were the best moments in the duo's show at Madison Square Garden Sunday night, part of Lopez's first national tour.

Lopez and Anthony took the telenovela-worthy dramatics of the ballad "No Me Ames," where they repeatedly tell each other "Don't love me," and gave it a sweet comic twist in their deliveries that translated well, whether you understood Spanish or not.

"This is the bilingual tour, right?" Lopez asked, to the delight of the capacity crowd, as she introduced "Que Hiciste," the single from her Spanish album "Como Ama Una Mujer."

Lopez didn't make any announcements about the growing question of whether or not she's pregnant. Of course, she didn't really have to. (It's possible that the fashion plate has suddenly developed a taste for gold dresses three sizes too big for her and the one-time Fly Girl has slowed down her dance moves to about three-quarter speed for no real reason, but it's not likely.)

It didn't really matter, though. Lopez answered all the other questions about her musical career. Her voice was strong, especially on "If You Had My Love" and "Let's Get Loud," and she connected well with the crowd, as she recreated some of the big dance numbers from her videos for "Get Right" and "Waiting for Tonight."

She also brought out the star power for her hometown crowd, as LL Cool J dropped in to do "All I Have" with her and Fat Joe stopped by to do "Hold You Down." Lopez was surprisingly light on material from her new album "Brave" (Epic), which hits stores Tuesday, opening with the excellent "Do It Well" and throwing in a massive version of the disco-tinged "Hold It, Don't Drop It," which showcased the 12-piece band and three singers that backed both her and Anthony.

Anthony's 70-minute set was masterful as usual, working the crowd and holding long notes to show his vocal power. He quickly moved from songs from his recent movie "El Cantante" to his English hits "I Need to Know" and "You Sang to Me," which featured a splashy new, gospel-tinged ending.

Anthony revealed that song was written when he had a crush on Lopez. "Now I get to sing it to her every night," he said.

JENNIFER LOPEZ AND MARC ANTHONY. The couple that plays together stays together. At Madison Square Garden on Sunday and Monday. Seen Sunday

Bachelor of Jenology

Oct 08, 2007#11

thanks for this awesome review

46K3,606
                        Admin
                        46K3,606

Oct 08, 2007#12

Article published Oct 8, 2007
                          Anthony upstages Lopez

October 8, 2007

Jenny Mayo - It was a sign of things of to come at the Verizon Center Friday night when the warm-up comedian, Joey Vega, asked if the crowd was excited to see Jennifer Lopez. (Applause)

And, were they ready to see her hubby, Marc Anthony? (Deafening cheers.)

From the outset, it was as clear as designer bottled water: This was not Miss Lopez's crowd. She could throw out all her best pyrotechnics, stage tricks, dance routines and opulent costumes, but the audience's loyalty wasn't changing.

Screams erupted when Mr. Anthony finally rose through the stage's floor, his wiry, grey-suited frame engulfed in fog, his booming voice drawing out the opening notes of salsa pioneer Hector Lavoe's "Aguanile." People rose, raised their hands, waved their Puerto Rican flags high, and then surrendered their bodies to the music.

Throughout the performer's one-hour-plus set of mostly uptempo Spanish-language hits, he frequently paused to show the crowd that the adoration was mutual. More than a few times, after belting out several verses in what is a shockingly powerful voice for such a compact man, he hushed his 15-piece band so that the audience could take over. As he was serenaded, he flashed a bright grin and shook his head, or put his hand over his heart.

Twice during his performance, Mr. Anthony dropped to his knees, bowed down and pounded the floor, a move that seemed to express gratitude and perhaps even a feeling of being overwhelmed.

Then came the underwhelming: his wife coming out to "Do It Well," a rather generic-sounding single off her new album, "Brave," which arrives tomorrow. To her credit, Miss Lopez looked radiant in gauzy bell-bottoms and a baby doll top, her long tresses ruffling in the artificial breeze the way they might in a music video.

The choreography? She was nailing it - a reminder of the Fly Girl days that started her on the star track.

With the memories of Mr. Anthony's powerhouse vocals and charismatic performance still so fresh, Miss Lopez's so-so pipes sounded weak, indistinct and even a tad shrill at times - particularly toward the beginning of her set.

Her singing seemed to improve as time passed, perhaps as a result of working through the nerves associated with being on her first-ever - that's right, first-ever - tour.

Never having road-tested any of her albums, she made up for lost time, premiering tunes from her latest disc and revisiting others from the past - including her very first single (1999's "If You Had My Love"), many rap collaborations (like the "I'm Real" remix), and Spanish-language songs ("Porque Te Marchas").

While she sang, fireworks exploded, the steps of the multi-tiered stage changed hues, dancers worked hard for their money, and a giant television screen showed footage of burning cars and Miss Lopez's curves. During her strongest number (a very fun, set-closing rendition of her Grammy-nominated "Let's Get Loud"), thick clouds of confetti drifted through the hall.

At no time, however, did Miss Lopez and her bounty of special effects elicit a response similar to the one Mr. Anthony received when he reappeared to sing a few duets with his wife.

Miss Lopez may ultimately be the bigger star, but this reviewer isn't the first and won't be the last to suggest Mr. Anthony is the brighter one on this tour

Bachelor of Jenology

Oct 08, 2007#13

thanks for all the reviews

14K2,609
                            Admin
                            14K2,609

Oct 13, 2007#14

Lopez, Anthony pack one-two Latin punch Couple has 'em dancing in ailes - at Bell Centre! T'CHA DUNLEVY The Gazette
                              Saturday, October 13, 2007
                              It was a Latin pop superstar summit last night at the Bell Centre, as Jennifer Lopez and husband Marc Anthony performed a joint concert to 12,200 ecstatic fans. The timing couldn't have been better. Lopez's new album Brave was released on Tuesday, and rumours about her being pregnant (possibly with twins) have the tabloids in a tizzy. Oh yeah, and this is her first-ever concert tour. But if you thought she would carry the night by virtue of her chart-topping success, you underestimate Anthony's performance experience, and his drawing power in the Latin community. His opening set had all the pomp, pretense and polish (not to mention punch) of headliner. Smoke and dramatic guitar lines set the tone before he even hit the stage. The audience screamed in anticipation. When he emerged on a rising platform, the room went wild. It was but a prelude of things to come. Accompanied by a 17-piece band, he powered through an array of songs from throughout his career. People were dancing in the aisles (at the Bell Centre!), and singing along wholeheartedly during the ballads. "I'm amazed," he said, during one such singalong, shaking his head in wonder before closing his eyes to resume his verse. "Wow," he picked up, at song's end, marvelling at the roar of the crowd. He put his hand on his heart; then, as the applause increased, he dropped to his knees and kissed the stage. Touching - until you realize that he did the same routine Wednesday night at Toronto's Air Canada Centre. So let's call him smart. "I want to say that we've been on tour now for a couple of weeks," he continued, back on his feet, "and you guys are the best crowd in the world. Montreal!" Whether or not he says that to all his audiences, it was far from empty praise. People were loving him, and with good reason. Anthony is a seasoned entertainer. He's got the chops and the enthusiasm to back up his title as the biggest-selling salsa singer of all time. Lopez took the stage after just a few minutes' break, and the difference was striking. Bumping club beats, fireworks and an R&B-flavoured hook punctuated her opening song Do It Well. Backup dancers made up for her limited movements (taking it easy for the little ones?); and uncharacteristic tummy-covering outfits made baby talk seem all the more credible. She went through the motions, playing most of her hits, including Jenny From the Block, If You Had My Love, I'm Real and Get Right. "That was fun, back in the J.Lo days," she said, laughing, after Ain't It Funny. She then introduced her new dance single, Hold It Don't Drop It. Lopez had just enough juice to get by, but her performance came off much like her music - it did the trick, but barely. She got our attention, but couldn't keep it. And the audience's energy level was noticeably lower than during Anthony's set. All was forgiven when they returned together for a couple of romantic duets at night's end. Sappy, yet effective.

20K2,682
                              Admin
                              20K2,682

Oct 13, 2007#15

I was about to post that one.

Intro to Jenology

Oct 13, 2007#16

^^well, it's first tour for Jennifer, they can't blame her that energy level was lower than during Marc's set. She'll do better in her next tour;)

Master of Jenology

Oct 15, 2007#17

TWO NEW REVIEWS by Music Critics in CHICAGO :

1.)

Lopez' gifts diminish as a live performer
                                    By Mark Guarino | Daily Herald Music Critic

Published: October 15, 2007

As an actress, Jennifer Lopez transcends the multiplex screen. As a model, she transcends the magazine photo spread. As a singer, she transcends the video.

But as a live performer who needs to reach every seat in a major sports stadium, Lopez's natural gifts diminish, her limitations bared. Surprisingly, eight years after her debut album, it is a medium of which she remains a relative newcomer. Her first-ever concert tour stopped at the United Center Sunday, where she presented quite a paradox: the nervous jitters of a first-time performer and the larger-than-life personality of a major star.

Even though she was the headliner, Lopez was onstage briefly: her hour-long, 11-song set was preceded and followed by the appearance of her husband, the singer Marc Anthony. Her set was split four ways, the flavor of each signaled by what she wore. A flowery cape and bellbottoms equaled sassy R&B, black knee-high boots and crucifix necklaces equaled Rock en Espanol, gold frills and microphone headset equaled techno, and a matronly gown equaled prim and proper duets with her husband.

At least half the time she struggled. Her magnetism, so easily captured by a photographer's lens, translated to nervous giggling, slight dance moves and flubbed lyrics. During the set's slice of techno -- featuring her biggest hits like "Love Don't Cost a Thing" and "Let's Get Loud" -- she joined her dancers in slick choreography, but the sexiness of the big beats were better served by the montage of her old videos. screened just seconds earlier. It was as if she was eight years late to her own party; this time around, the routine, straight out of the Britney Spears 2001 playbook, looked fatigued.

Lopez, 38, fared better in a more adult role: The gritty funk of Rock en Espanol songs like "Que Hiciste" or the hard funk of "Hold It, Don't Drop It." Having aced the art of strutting while singing, Lopez proved a believable rock singer. On the rock ballad "Porque Te Marchas," she struck a pose straight out of a Bob Seger video: On her knees in front of a video of racing storm clouds. Lopez compensated for the narrow range of her voice by acting emotionally raw -- It worked.

Despite being the first to perform, Anthony played a lengthier set of mostly Latin pop and salsa, backed by a 15-member band. He lacked the star power of his wife but proved he was the stronger singer and a more electrifying performer. Except for his English pop hits "I Need to Know" and "You Sang to Me," it was a high-energy set of salsa music including "Mi Gente," a cover of a song by salsa pioneer Hector Lavoe who Anthony recently played in a film.

The evening's high point came late, with two show-ending duets: "Por Arriesgarnos" and "No Me Ames." Maybe because the tabloids are reporting that Lopez is pregnant with twins or maybe because people just like to see married couples singing love songs to each other, but their performance tore down the house. Playing no role but herself, Lopez sounded her most genuine. Rarely do shows start at the encore, but this one did.

LINK:
                                    http://www.dailyherald.com/story/?id=57507

==================

2.)

MUSIC REVIEW
                                    Lopez fares better with the upbeat

By Andy Downing / Special to the Tribune
                                    October 16, 2007

In the midst of her first national tour, Jennifer Lopez split her time between arena-ready diva and nervous homebody when she rolled into a crowded United Center Sunday. Performing with husband Marc Anthony, the singer-actress-celebrity utilized a half-dozen dancers, multiple costume changes and enough pyrotechnics to kick off a 4th of July celebration.

But despite her embrace of spectacle, Lopez seemed intent on presenting herself as the everyday girl-next-door. "Don't be scared by the rocks that I got/I'm just Jenny from the block," she sang on one tune. She also took time out to thank the audience, hinting at her recently announced pregnancy when she said, "This has been an amazing time for me and Marc, and I want to thank you for being part of it."

The singer's connection with the audience seemed to transcend all barriers; the crowd pulled for her even when she flubbed the lyrics to "Hold It, Don't Drop It," cheering so loudly at the close of the song that Lopez herself appeared stunned ("What did I do?" she remarked wide-eyed). So while it was clear from the get-go that the singer lacks the powerhouse pipes of such arena contemporaries as Faith Hill and Beyonce, the flaw only further endeared the singer to her fan base.

That didn't make it any easier to listen as she forced her way through a handful of maudlin ballads, particularly the cheesy, synthesizer-aided "Porque Te Marchas." Better were the upbeat numbers, where the one-time "In Living Color" Fly Girl proved she could still get down. "Do It Well," one of two songs performed from the recently released "Brave" (Epic), was a club banger, Lopez cooing dance commands over a skittish beat. "Hold It, Don't Drop It," despite the vocal miscue, built into a simmering disco jam.

Lopez also suffered in comparison to her husband, who kicked off the evening with a salsa-heavy set before joining her for two show-closing ballads. Strutting onstage with his black hair slicked back, dark sunglasses and a long black jacket, Anthony appeared to have walked right out of an Anne Rice novel. He tore into such songs as "Aguanile" and "I Need to Know," not so much singing as performing. Each tune unfolded like a one-act drama, Anthony whispering, pleading and crying out for his lover to remain by his side.

Copyright © 2007, Chicago Tribune

LINK:
                                    http://www.chicagotribune.com/entertain ... 9144.story

15K5
                                    Doctor of Jenology
                                    15K5

Oct 15, 2007#18

All the critics favorit part of the show was the duets.

46K3,606
                                      Admin
                                      46K3,606

Oct 15, 2007#19

^Surprisingly enough, lol.

Master of Jenology

Oct 16, 2007#20

DailySouthtown.com
                                          Entertainment
                                          LOPEZ AND ANTHONY THROW A DANCE PARTY AT UNITED CENTER
                                          (http://www.dailysouthtown.com/entertain ... ew.article) published October 15, 2007 BY ELOISE MARIE VALADEZ / Staff writer Jennifer Lopez and Marc Anthony, the celebrity couple on tour for the first time together, delivered a splashy, fiesta-like show Sunday night at a United Center. To the delight of their singing and dancing fans, Anthony and Lopez performed separate sets filled with hot salsa numbers, Spanish ballads and English hits, and later took the stage for a couple of duets. While the celebrity gossip mill has been churning lately with talk that Lopez is pregnant, the couple made no major announcement during their 2 1/2-hour show. It was obvious, however, that Lopez isn't sporting her usual muscular abs these days. Her costumes, including a flowing babydoll top, bellbottoms and roomy mini dresses, appeared to be the snazziest-looking maternity-style outfits this reporter has seen in awhile. Not to mention the fuller cheeks and unmistakable glow on J-Lo's face. Anthony, wearing a long black jacket, white shirt, black pants and sunglasses, performed first, delivering a mix of his engaging salsa hits and songs from "El Cantante," the recent movie about salsa legend Hector Levoe in which he and Lopez starred. The crowd screamed and cheered nonstop for Anthony, proving these were definitely his admirers as well as his wife's. Anthony's signature vocals, always crystal clear in concert, were in fine form as he belted out tunes such as "Hasta Que Te Conoci," "Valio La Pena," "Ahora Quien" and "Aquanile." Most of his set centered on Spanish-language favorites, but he also performed the Top 40 hits for which he is best known, including "You Sang to Me" and an enthusiastic rendition of "I Need to Know." Backed by a stellar 15-piece band, with strong percussion and horn sections, Anthony's set proved he's secure in his role as a salsa superstar and that he hasn't lost his ability to hold extremely long notes. Lopez, who began her show amid fireworks, bright lights and flashy videos, looked quite comfortable on stage despite this being her first concert tour. The singer/actress didn't refrain from her typically enthusiastic dancing, though the movements were a bit subdued. Her portion of the concert got high marks for energy and for her admirable rapport with the crowd. She frequently addressed fans and genuinely appeared to enjoy performing. Not many singers can beat Anthony in the vocal department and Lopez didn't try. She delivered poignant ballads and happily delved into her hit dance tunes. Among set highlights were "Let's Get Loud," "Jenny from the Block," "Waiting for Tonight" and "Que Haciste," from her first Spanish language album "Como Ama Una Mujer." She also performed "Do It Well" and "Hold It, Don't Drop It" from her latest album "Brave." Husband-and-wife joined on stage for the last numbers "Por Arriesgarnos and "No Me Ames," much to the cheering fans' delight. Eloise Marie Valadez may be reached at [email protected] or (70 633-5974.

15K5
                                          Doctor of Jenology
                                          15K5

Oct 18, 2007#21

Preggers or no, J. Lo still works it on stage By Tony Hicks TIMES STAFF WRITER Article Launched: 10/18/2007 10:11:10 AM PDT
                                            They say a little exercise is good for pregnancy. The jury is still out, however, on the prenatal benefits of giant shoes. Oh, that's right. Jennifer Lopez hasn't said she's pregnant. Those are just rumors (wink wink). Well, even if she isn't (and she sure looked, dressed and danced like she was), she did an admirable job Wednesday night at HP Pavilion in San Jose. After years of being a non-pregnant dance music icon, one would assume that -- like peers Janet Jackson, Madonna, Britney Spears, etc. -- when Lopez makes a record, she hits the road with a giant ensemble of musicians and dancers to do the typically massive, ultra choreographed dance show. But J-Lo had never tried this, lending weight to the perception by some that her vocal skills were weak, studio-enhanced and not up to the rigors of the road (which never stopped Spears, come to think of it). But on Wednesday, J. Lo sang live (with lots of backing vocals rounding off the edges), she danced (often pulling up when her dancers did the more difficult stuff), and proved that, while she's not much more than your average dance diva, she can pull this sort of show with extra charm and style. Of course, bonus points go to the woman pushing 40 who does her first tour pregnant with twins, as is the rumor (wink wink) that she pointedly avoids denying. Every show is probably like Bring Your Kids to Work Day, a nice concept with easy-going husband Marc Anthony as the opener. Amid fireworks and the usual dramaof multiple dancers throwing themselves all over a multi-level stage, Lopez opened with new dance track "Do It Well," and "Jenny From The Block." Wearing a very loose, butterfly-patterned outfit, she briefly jumped in with her dancers from time to time, stopping before and after third song "If You Had My Love," to giggle, talk to the crowd, and perhaps catch her breath. But, to her credit, she gained steam and took more chances as the night wore on. Even if it sometimes came out as little more than yelling, she pushed her voice on funky new track "Hold It Don't Drop It," from new record "Brave." She also scored big sex appeal points for pregnant women everywhere (wink wink) by shaking that infamous backside above some wicked black boots. She left some lyrics to her back-up singers on a decent version of "Love Don't Cost a Thing," probably because, for all her hits in the past eight years, she still doesn't have much experience singing while keeping up with other dancers. She got it right, coincidentally, during "Get Right," during which she cut herself no slack in the dance routine. She ended her solo set with all the right bells and whistles (and explosions and confetti) on "Let's Get Loud." Anthony did all the right things during his own 75-minute set, which was utterly unspectacular but comfortable nonetheless. Anthony is a much more likable guy once seen up close in his natural environment, singing almost his entire crooning/dance set in Spanish to the heavily Latin crowd. He knows how to work an audience and doesn't push outside his range of talents: singing and being charming without crossing into cockiness (his move to take a female fan's cell phone and sing to whomever was on the other end was, if not hilarious, certainly charming). Anthony joined his wife during her encores for duets "Por Arriesgarnos" and "No Me Ames," without frills or anything more complicated than them singing into each other's eyes. For all the previous extravaganza, the ending worked well, with the pair's feelings easily conveyed, whether one understood the words or not. Reach Tony Hicks at 925-952-2678 or [email protected]. Read his blog, "Insert Foot," on ContraCostaTimes.com

46K3,606
                                            Admin
                                            46K3,606

Oct 18, 2007#22

The tour has been a great success!

Admin

Oct 18, 2007#23

(his move to take a female fan's cell phone and sing to whomever was on the other end was, if not hilarious, certainly charming).
                                                ahhhhhhhh dies!! lol maybe i'll do the same w/ JEN???? hehe HEATHER u better answer ur phone if it rings!!!!!!

46K3,606
                                                Admin
                                                46K3,606

Oct 18, 2007#24

Eeeehhhh, YES! I would DIE, haha. I never have my phone with me, but I'll carry it around just in case you're inspired to do it.

Admin

Oct 18, 2007#25

heheh i did call my hairdresser from the Today Show cuz she LOVES marc...so u neeeeeeeeeeeeeeever know!!

Read more posts (51 remaining)