Bachelor of Jenology

Oct 24, 2007#51

thanks

Admin

Oct 25, 2007#52

LOVELY review!!! HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA Haters!!

14K2,609
      Admin
      14K2,609

Oct 31, 2007#53

12:00 AM CDT on Wednesday, October 31, 2007By MARIO TARRADELL / The Dallas Morning News
        [email protected]
        Marc Anthony and Jennifer Lopez may be basking in wedded unity, but artistically the pair sits on opposite ends of the creative spectrum. That couldn't have been more apparent Tuesday night before 8,000 fans at American Airlines Center. The double bill between husband and wife, call them J.Lo and her M.An, sure was splashy and eye-popping for markedly different reasons.Let's start with Mr. Anthony, who took the stage first with a slamming 14-member band that included a percussionist, a horn section, background vocalists and an electric-piano player. For 70 minutes (he ran 20 minutes overtime) the Nuyorican delivered fiery salsa tracing much of his musical career. Tellingly he sang only two songs in English, his crossover hits "I Need to Know" and "You Sang to Me." He also opened and closed with staples by the late Hector Lavoe, "Aguanile" and "Mi Gente." Mr. Anthony portrays Mr. Lavoe in the recent biopic El Cantante. If anything, he could have excised those two Anglo numbers. Mr. Anthony was born to sing salsa. His voice remains strong, pliable and full of verve. He can hit notes, stretch them and then glide with the groove effortlessly. His stage stance is vintage salsero. The smooth, passionate, showy mannerisms come from a sadly departed era. But he remembers. He's got confidence to spare and a wiry allure that mixes sexuality with spirituality. During scorchers such as "Y Hubo Alguien," "Valio la Pena" and "Te Conozco Bien" Mr. Anthony made salsa universal. No matter what your nationality, the connection to an explosion of syncopated rhythms and rugged, emotional vocals should be immediate. Now Ms. Lopez, who appeared visibly pregnant and wore strategically billowy outfits, doesn't have anywhere near the vocal chops of her hubby. In fact, her voice is comparably thin. And she's learned from her days of being a Fly Girl on In Living Color. Even with her belly bump, she danced up a storm in sync with male and female steppers. She knows she needs to entertain the crowd with some spectacle, including pyrotechnics and plenty of vibrant videos. That's because she doesn't have the standout material or the singing abilities to let that carry her through a set. Deadlines prevented us from catching more than the first 30 minutes of her stint, which was before a short finale gig that was to feature both Ms. Lopez and Mr. Anthony onstage. Let's give Ms. Lopez some credit, though. Her pipes did carry further than expected. While she had plenty of help during the choruses from the able background vocalists, she handled the verses alone. She definitely lacks finesse and lung power, but she was audible. The problem was that her repertoire is largely disposable, from cookie-cutter urban pop such as "Jenny From the Block" and "If You Had My Love" to downright duds such as songs from her current CD, Brave, namely "Do It Well" and "Hold It Don't Drop It." She fared much better with two songs from Como Ama una Mujer, her first Latin CD, which was released earlier this year. "Que Hiciste" and "Te Voy a Querer" had more substance, and she tried her best to chew up the lyrics. Still, there's an awkward quality at work. This is Ms. Lopez's first tour, so she's green. But next to Mr. Anthony, her banter seemed stilted. She had to make chitchat with her Brooklyn accent. He didn't need to say much. His stunning singing did all the talking.
        Dallasnews.com

46K3,606
        Admin
        46K3,606

Oct 31, 2007#54

Pfff. First of, all she's from the Bronx. Second, how can you properly review someone if you don't see the entire set? That's like only watching the first half of the movie.

Oct 31, 2007#55

Sparks fly, fans swoon as Jennifer Lopez and Marc Anthony visit Dallas

by Preston Jones
            [email protected]

DALLAS -- I'll get this much out of the way: Jennifer Lopez is, without question and unless I'm going seriously blind, pregnant.

Now that that's been dealt with, we can get to the matter at hand.

They say great couples balance each other out, adding or subtracting just what's needed to make their other half as whole as they can be. It's a line of thought that was made flesh Tuesday night at the American Airlines Center as Jennifer Lopez and her husband, Marc Anthony performed en concierto.

He cut his teeth as a Latin pop star, belting out visceral Spanish-language hits in that clear, ringing voice of his; she broke out as an actress, circling back around to singing lightweight pop songs that detoured into Spanish-language fluff, becoming a brand unto herself and helping keep the tabloids in business. They are two distinct personalities elevated by the other's presence in their lives -- Anthony's not one for gloss (although it's clear from watching him perform that he loves the spotlight) while she's not exactly known for having artistic credibility beyond MTV or the multiplex. Together, they make for one (mostly) impressive, albeit long, evening of entertainment.

While this tour is billed as a "co-headlining" gig, there was no mistaking who the majority of the not-quite-full room was there to see -- but they were made to wait for 90 minutes as painfully unfunny comedian Joey Vega took the stage for a mercifully brief set, followed by a solid hour-long showing from Anthony.

The bulk of his set were songs from his Spanish-language albums -- his obligatory English-language singles (You Sang to Me and I Need to Know) were tossed in as well -- and the charismatic vocalist worked the adoring audience for all he was worth. Seemingly electrified by his 12-piece band's astonishing sound, Anthony would egg on the musicians, all the while dancing as if he couldn't help himself. It was pure sonic showmanship that laid bare Anthony's years of experience; he posed for pictures, blew kisses into the crowd and let them sing verses of his own songs like a pro.

There was little time for introspection, as Anthony kept the vibe and the room popping -- from first song to last, the humble superstar emitted enough energy to power several small countries.

The lights dimmed for a brief moment and soon, his wife Lopez appeared to the strains of current single Do It Well. Whereas Anthony could belt with the best of 'em and hold notes until his eyes bugged out, Lopez's voice has always been her biggest liability.

She's not a vocalist so much as she's an intense physical performer that gets plenty of mileage out of her infectious smile and ceaselessly gyrating hips. The only problem when you're, from all outward appearances, in the early stages of pregnancy is that it becomes difficult to execute the moves you once so deftly did. No worries -- a small army of back-up dancers joined Lopez onstage to twist, bounce and otherwise shake it like Jenny from the block used to.

That thin, reedy voice also can't stand up to a live band, which fluctuated in size from six to nine members and frequently threatened to drown out Lopez completely. Given her well-publicized inclinations towards perfectionism, why on Earth would one of pop's most visible stars embark on her inaugural tour and not make sure that A) she could move like she needed to and B) tweak the live arrangements so that her voice wasn't lost amid a wall of instrumentation?

But if these aspects were bothering her, you'd never know. While she seemed much less ingratiating than her husband, Lopez did appear touched by the raucous reception. Her set was a few songs longer (and hotter - literally; the diva employed scads of mini skyrockets, walls of flame and other indoor incendiaries) than her husband's, but less fulfilling.

And, of course, the finale featured what everyone came to see: Husband and wife serenading each other, gamely attempting to create the illusion that they were singing to one another alone, without a few thousand eyes absorbing the scene in a weird bit of ticketed voyeurism. The two sang as one, Anthony's strong voice trying not to squash Lopez's lesser voice, making you believe that, despite all of the fevered attention and arguably unnecessary drama, they just might bring out the best in each other.

15K5
            Doctor of Jenology
            15K5

Nov 01, 2007#56

Concert Review: Jennifer Lopez and Marc Anthony By Justin Smith Boricuas y Mexicanos in Dallas? Check. Clave and timbales? Check. Enough dance space for salsa? Well, unfortunately it was Tuesday night at the American Airlines Center where Jennifer Lopez and Marc Anthony had their Dallas performance debut, and there just isn't enough room for that kind of stuff. The set on stage was the same for both performers. There were four rows of translucent risers that the band filled up that had different colored lights pumping through them that gave the entire night a very soft but vibrant look with mostly reds, purples, and various shades of blue. Marc Anthony first took the stage with a full ensemble that included congas, bongos, timbales, a full horn section, bass, and guitar. For my eyes and ears, which did not grow up listening to mambo or salsa, I was surprised that the tradition of band leaders is alive and well. In fact, it apparently never died. Anthony was all over the stage, keeping the audience entertained, all the while directing the band to either start or finish a song on his cue or even to bring up or turn down the volume at crucial moments. Anthony began the show with the Hector Lavoe song, "Agualile." As most of you know, Anthony and Lopez just released a couple of months ago the film El Cantante, the biopic of Hector Lavoe's life. Let me say at this moment that this man, who is small in stature, has a voice so powerful and seductive, it is no surprise that every woman in the audience melted the second the opening note was sung. The band pumped out the salsa clave just like it would have been at the Tropicana in New York in the 1970's, and I desperately wanted to get up and dance, but alas, there wasn't enough room. For the English-only audience, Anthony did play his two his crossover hits from a couple of years ago, "You Sang To Me" and "I Need to Know." Both were good, but I have to admit that I was much more interested in the salsa numbers. He also played my favorite original song, "Tu Amor Me Hace Bien", and it was the spiced up version from his album Sigo Siendo Yo. Anthony finished with another number from Lavoe, "Mi Gente." I have heard many recordings of Lavoe and the La Fania All Stars doing "Mi Gente" and hearing tens of thousands singing the final response over and over again, "Aye, la, la, la, la, la, la!" while the band continues to play. Well, it was the same again with Anthony as the crowd erupted, myself included, singing with the band and clapping out the beats. It was quite amazing how intimate it felt. Other than there not being enough room to dance, my only real complaint was that the sound mix was way too bass heavy, not allowing for enough of the percussion and the horns to intermingle with Anthony's voice. I guess an "Oh" face was to be expected. Visibly pregnant, Ms. Lopez took the stage just three minutes after her husband had left the stage. I have to say, I was completely amazed at how good she was. First off, I have never seen her live before as this is her first tour. I wasn't expecting too much from her since I have seen her perform at various awards shows in the past and she usually performed those with a backing vocal and music track. There was none of that this evening. Her vocals were powerful and never pitchy. It must be Marc Anthony rubbing off on her. Secondly, I was surprised at the agility of a woman at her stage in her pregnancy. She held nothing back and her dance was quite impressive. When she came out, she first performed her newly released single, "Doing It Well," which I have to say is not necessarily the type of music I listen to, but I could tell that it was a major step up from the usual that I have heard from her. The other thing that shocked me, and in retrospect I guess it shouldn't have, was how charismatic she was. In between songs, she would banter with the audience, I surmised in order to catch her breath. She was particularly engaging and seemed very appreciative of the warm response from the crowd. She sang her hits, "Jenny From the Block," "If You had My Love," and "Let's Get Loud," which you could tell were not as well written as her new stuff. Another song that I recall from the new album she sang was a title called "Brave," which had a catchy hook that kept the audience moving. After "Let's Get Loud," she left the stage and then the sappy part came, which I bought all the way, when both Marc Anthony and Jennifer Lopez joined one another on stage. They closed out the show with two duets, "No Me Ames" and "Por Arriesgarnos." It had been at least ten years since I had even thought about going to an arena show because I hate the lack of intimacy, not withstanding the usual astronomical price of the tickets. But these two performers, when put together, complemented one another so well that it felt like we were all just enjoying one another's company at a social, Boricua style.

Nov 01, 2007#57

Nov. 1, 2007, 1:51AM
                Anthony starts the night off right, and Lopez keeps electricity going
                By JOEY GUERRA
                Copyright 2007 Houston Chronicle TOOLS Email Get section feed Print Subscribe NOW Comments Recommend RESOURCES Marc Anthony, Jennifer Lopez Halloween treats at Toyota Center Jennifer Lopez wasn't scheduled to take the stage until after Marc Anthony's set Wednesday night at Toyota Center. But the diva's presence was felt throughout her husband's performance. Anthony said he wrote the melody of You Sang to Me years before he married La Lopez, when he "had a crush" on her. We'll never be sure. But Anthony's rendition was heartfelt. Anthony's set was a fiery treat, kicking off with Aguanile, a scorching Hector Lavoe song. Anthony is the best salsa singer of his generation. His songs are big and vibrant, but his nuanced delivery makes each moment intimate. Valio la Pena, one of the best of his contemporary salsa tunes, was a highlight. Lopez's performance was pure pop dazzle, an electric blend of star power, hooky hits and blustery Bronx edge. She twirled in her flowing pastel outfits to kicky tunes Do It Well, Jenny From the Block and If You Had My Love, her slinky debut hit that morphed into a salsa-house groove for a few beats. [email protected]

Master of Jenology

Nov 01, 2007#58

Nadia ~

Can't keep up w/ you, no how, lol.

I was dying to share these two great Reviews, Especially that First one by Justin Smith from Pegasus News: Beautiful compliments he paid to both of them ! + Not only does he appreciate Jen, he admitted having preconceived notions ( less than positive ones) about her, going back y-e-a-r-s!

14K2,609
                  Admin
                  14K2,609

Nov 01, 2007#59

lol Yeah, I was just coming to post that last one myself. Thanks Nadia.

Doctor of Jenology

Nov 01, 2007#60

Wow I loved the Justin Smith review!
                      I'd love to see videos of Jennifer performing Brave!

Doctor of Jenology

Nov 01, 2007#61

the justin smith review is nice, but they could've used a different picture. that's the only picture of jen & marc i dont like LOL

15K5
                        Doctor of Jenology
                        15K5

Nov 01, 2007#62

onlinejlofanCOM wrote:Wow I loved the Justin Smith review!
                          I'd love to see videos of Jennifer performing Brave!
                          she doesn't perform Brave, they think HDDI is Brave .

20K2,682
                          Admin
                          20K2,682

Nov 01, 2007#63

Yeah it was HIDDI not Brave
                            Twitter: @timmylovesjlo

46K3,606
                            Admin
                            46K3,606

Nov 01, 2007#64

Awesome reviews! Thanks!

Master of Jenology

Nov 01, 2007#65

the justin smith review is nice, but they could've used a different picture. that's the only picture of jen & marc i dont like LOL (joeylovesjlo)
                                yes, good point...

14K2,609
                                Admin
                                14K2,609

Nov 02, 2007#66

I was reading the Justin Smith review again and I have to say, I think it was the best review so far of the tour. Giving both Jen and Marc praise for their performance independent of each other and also praising what they had together when performing. It was nice not to read the comparing one against the other and making it seem competitive or pointing out ones weakness compared to the other. I loved it and he was right on point with everything!!

Kudos to Jen again for putting her everthing into her performance considering her conditon. I love her, she's a real trooper and it goes to show she really wants to do this for her fans. Fans seem to get so caught up in what she's not doing or should be doing and don't stop to think of what she actually is doing. This tour is pretty demanding on her, I'm sure.

Intermediate Jenology

Nov 02, 2007#67

The review by Justin Smith is amazing, she proved her vocal abilitys with the tour, now the critics are finally starting to really like her and thats why I think she can get a Grammy next year

15K5
                                    Doctor of Jenology
                                    15K5

Nov 03, 2007#68

CONCERT REVIEW J.Lo, hubby a perfect Latin storm in Miami Posted on Sat, Nov. 03, 2007 Digg del.icio.us AIM reprint print email BY JORDAN LEVIN [email protected] It wasn't just their individual talent and celebrity that made the Marc Anthony and Jennifer Lopez concert Friday night at the AmericanAirlines Arena so much more than the sum of its considerable parts. No, it was the perfect Latin pop storm -- a celebration of romance and music by this country's two biggest Latin stars. And if you were wondering, it wasn't because there was a birth announcement, except for coy comments from Lopez like, ''This has been a year of firsts for me.'' She looked gorgeous, happy and with the proverbial glow -- as well as considerably more voluptuousness and with almost none of the movement in her torso that this terrific dancer usually delivers. She even cradled her belly at one point. Anthony brought the musical power and even more of the considerable charisma he's always shown onstage. But Lopez -- though she can't match her husband's voice -- came through with a fine performance on her first concert tour. Whether he's absorbed something of his wife's charisma and expressiveness in performance, or the wild looseness of Hector Lavoe's music in working on his film El Cantante, or he's just really happy and in love, Anthony has never sounded better or given a better performance. His voice is in a class by itself now, terrifically big and powerful. Anthony's repertoire has always been love songs, but they had new impact here -- by the time he introduced the song You Sang To Me by telling the nearly sold out arena that he'd written it for his wife, he turned his whole set into a tribute to her. ''Oh, how I love you!'' he sang in Tu Amor Me Hace Bien. The crowd adored it -- by the time he got to Mi Gente, the Lavoe tribute to his audience and to Latin people, they really seemed to make the Arena shake. His 16 piece band also sounded terrific, tight and driving. If Anthony takes salsa to larger-than-life rock 'n' roll intensity, Lopez is all about New York-style funk and urban glam. Her voice is breathy or sharp, and she doesn't have much range. But she has confidence, energy and star power, and even with her limited movement, she put on a really fun and entertaining show. Her set was R&B dance funk -- she turned even the ballads from her recent Spanish language album, Como Ama Una Mujer, into driving dance numbers. She had the phalanx of dancers in changing costumes, the shooting fireworks -- and they made the funky final jam of Let's Get Loud into a different kind of stadium shaker. On their first song together, Amemonos Despacio (Let's Love Slowly), edging slowly together until they finished with a kiss and a hug, a perfect moment of staged romance.
                                      On their first song together, Amemonos Despacio (Let's Love Slowly)
                                      What is that ?

14K2,609
                                      Admin
                                      14K2,609

Nov 03, 2007#69

Concert review: Jennifer Lopez - (Probably) pregnant and fabulous!
                                        We at the Pop Shop admit to being neither obstetrics specialists or psychic. But given the evidence from our primo seats at Friday night's Jennifer Lopez/Marc Anthony show at AmericanAirlines Arena, as well as a well-placed comment by 'ol J.Lo herself, we'd have to say that either the former Fly Girl's been partaking of extra helpings or...is pregnant. "Yeah, I'm gonna dance a little," the Robert Cavalli-clad Lopez said as a gorgeous dancer swung her rhythmically during "If You Had My Love." Most of her outfits were of the flowy diva-cape variety - very "Mahogany"-era Diana Ross - but one, a shiny gold tunic, occasionally swung open to reveal a black bodysuit, which covered an obviously extended belly. So while Lopez is still not verbally confirming her pregnancy, her set at the AAA, which followed her husband's exciting first act, confirmed that she gives a solid show, no matter what her status. Unlike Anthony, who performed just two songs in English and the rest in Spanish, Lopez's song list focused mostly on her English-language dance hits, although she did do some songs from her recent Spanish album. The Spanish material was great with applause but with visibly less standing-up and dancing than the radio hits like "Jenny From The Block" and "Do It Well." It was odd - while the energy in the arena was high throughout, there were odd moments where Lopez and her gorgeous dancers were cranking their little hearts and feet out and much of the audience remained on their seats. Clapping and smiling. But seated. The dancing and enthusiasm highlights, however, were many: - Lopez took it "back to the J.Lo days" in clubbing fashion with "I'm Real" and a fantastic "Hold You Down," featuring surprise guest star Fat Joe, during which J.Lo rapped competently. They even threw in a little "Lean Back," a command the audience happily obeyed;
                                        - There was a well-done club remix version of "Waiting For Tonight," in which Lopez debuted what is sure to be the next big thing in (probable) maternity wear - the dance cape. Capes are awesome;
                                        - Fireworks!;
                                        - The final act was expected - a duet with Lopez and Anthony on the enchanting "No Me Ames," a great song made even better by the loving, intense chemistry between the two. He just wouldn't stop looking at her, leaning over at one point to pepper her forehead with a flurry of kisses, and hugging her to him while beaming. Even in a show with honest-to-Betsy fireworks, that was a special effect as effective as any featured (and we're even counting the hot back-up dancers.)Posted by Leslie Streeter at November 3, 2007 7:54 AM

Intro to Jenology

Nov 03, 2007#70

Concert review: Jennifer Lopez - (Probably) pregnant and fabulous!
                                          We at the Pop Shop admit to being neither obstetrics specialists or psychic. But given the evidence from our primo seats at Friday night's Jennifer Lopez/Marc Anthony show at AmericanAirlines Arena, as well as a well-placed comment by 'ol J.Lo herself, we'd have to say that either the former Fly Girl's been partaking of extra helpings or...is pregnant.

"Yeah, I'm gonna dance a little," the Robert Cavalli-clad Lopez said as a gorgeous dancer swung her rhythmically during "If You Had My Love." Most of her outfits were of the flowy diva-cape variety - very "Mahogany"-era Diana Ross - but one, a shiny gold tunic, occasionally swung open to reveal a black bodysuit, which covered an obviously extended belly.

So while Lopez is still not verbally confirming her pregnancy, her set at the AAA, which followed her husband's exciting first act, confirmed that she gives a solid show, no matter what her status. Unlike Anthony, who performed just two songs in English and the rest in Spanish, Lopez's song list focused mostly on her English-language dance hits, although she did do some songs from her recent Spanish album.

The Spanish material was great with applause but with visibly less standing-up and dancing than the radio hits like "Jenny From The Block" and "Do It Well." It was odd - while the energy in the arena was high throughout, there were odd moments where Lopez and her gorgeous dancers were cranking their little hearts and feet out and much of the audience remained on their seats. Clapping and smiling. But seated.

The dancing and enthusiasm highlights, however, were many:

- Lopez took it "back to the J.Lo days" in clubbing fashion with "I'm Real" and a fantastic "Hold You Down," featuring surprise guest star Fat Joe, during which J.Lo rapped competently. They even threw in a little "Lean Back," a command the audience happily obeyed;
                                          - There was a well-done club remix version of "Waiting For Tonight," in which Lopez debuted what is sure to be the next big thing in (probable) maternity wear - the dance cape. Capes are awesome;
                                          - Fireworks!;
                                          - The final act was expected - a duet with Lopez and Anthony on the enchanting "No Me Ames," a great song made even better by the loving, intense chemistry between the two. He just wouldn't stop looking at her, leaning over at one point to pepper her forehead with a flurry of kisses, and hugging her to him while beaming. Even in a show with honest-to-Betsy fireworks, that was a special effect as effective as any featured (and we're even counting the hot back-up dancers.)

Posted by Leslie Streeter at November 3, 2007 7:54 AM

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/blogs/cont ... lopez.html

Doctor of Jenology

Nov 03, 2007#71

nmou81 wrote:
                                            On their first song together, Amemonos Despacio (Let's Love Slowly)
                                            What is that ?
                                            They mean 'Por Arriesgarnos' .

15K5
                                            Doctor of Jenology
                                            15K5

Nov 03, 2007#72

^ lol ok thanks

REVIEW: Smart staging as Marc Anthony, Jennifer Lopez perform in miami By Sean Piccoli | Sun-Sentinel.com
                                              12:02 PM EDT, November 3, 2007 MIAMI -- The important thing to remember watching Jennifer Lopez and Marc Anthony play back-to-back sets is, this is not a competition.

If it were, the contest would be over before it even started. Talk about an unfair fight: Anthony, the veteran salsero who sings like a force of nature and has been honing his live act since the '90s; Lopez, the accomplished actress who backed into a pop career and is touring for the first time.

Even so, Friday's sold-out double bill at AmericanAirlines Arena was not the painful mismatch it could have been. Anthony, who went first, gave such a big-hearted and ecstatic performance that the good will he generated carried over. Going first, it turned out, was not only the chivalrous thing to do, it was smart staging.

Lopez didn't quite sustain his energy or bring the audience to its feet as often as he did. But few performers could have equaled Anthony in any case. What Lopez did well, stepping into his afterglow, was to put on a scrappy, style-hopping show of her own – a likeable if derivative confection of disco, r&b and salsa. It didn't hurt that she had Anthony's protean live band playing behind her.

Lopez showed she has improved as a singer since her early adventures in heavily treated studio vocals. She sang the emotive, staccato phrases of Que Hiciste (What Did You Do?) -- which Anthony wrote -- with verve. She put heft into the party tune Let's Get Loud. She was strongest harmonizing and trading couplets with Anthony on a pair of Spanish-language ballads, including No Me Ames (You Don't Love Me), that closed out the evening. The couple's rapport and affection brought warmth to their singing.

Lopez's hip-hop-styling hits, Jenny from the Block and Love Don't Cost a Thing, sounded specious and a little dated by comparison.

Lopez, visibly pregnant through a collection of loose-fitting outfits, did not dance like the hyperactive "fly girl" of a few years back. But she had enough actor's presence to fall back on. If anything, her stage show's prolific use of video, fireworks, pyrotechnics and confetti felt like overcompensation for the restrained body language.

Anthony didn't use many visual aids. He just walked the stage and sang heroically about the power of love.

His rumbling band seemed to electrify him as he sang Valio La Pena (It Was Worth It) with arms outstretched and head tilted back. He was conversational and confidently Sinatra-like on one song, fiery and full of wounded pride on the next. The ballad You Sang to Me brimmed with sentiment – probably a little too much sentiment -- while I Need to Know had an erotic charge.

Throughout, the crowd provided choruses big enough to fill a soccer stadium. Anthony was visibly moved by the outpouring, at one point exclaiming in Spanish, "Increible, Miami!"

(Marc Anthony and Jennifer Lopez perform 8 p.m. Saturday and Wednesday at AmericanAirlines Arena, 601 Biscayne Blvd., Miami, 786-777-1250. Tickets are $45-$225 through Ticketmaster

Nov 05, 2007#73

Last Night: J. Lo and Marc Anthony at American Airlines Arena Sun Nov 04, 2007 at 04:50:45 PM Marc Anthony and Jennifer Lopez
                                                American Airlines Arena
                                                Nov. 2, 2007
                                                Better Than: Sonny and Cher The Mennifer, or shall we say, J.Ant show is so overwhelmingly over the top, you can't help but marvel at the star power in all of its pyrotechnics. Friday night at the American Airlines Arena, just about everything was bursting at the seams. There was a lot to take in during the double bill that featured the superstar singing couple. Being the gentleman that he is, or perhaps he knew giving his wife headliner status would turn the evening into an "event," Marc Anthony took the stage first turning the arena into a salsa fest. With a video homage to the late Hector Lavoe and some clips from the biopic "El Cantate," which Anthony recently starred in opposite Lopez on the big screen, he opened his fiery set with "Aguanile," showing off his musical pipes right from the get go. The guy can sing. Particularly in "Aguanile" and "Hasta Que Te Conoci," he held notes for so long, the crowd held their collective breath waiting for a Memorex moment of shattering glass, and then erupting in cheers at Anthony's virtuosity. The Nuyorican singer has a no-frills approach to his performances, leaning heavy on his percussive band that was rich with congas, bongos, timbales, a full horn section, keyboards, bass, and guitar. His set was a Latin music fan's dream, with only two English language songs, including his 2000 hit "You Sang To Me," which he said he wrote for the most beautiful woman who is now "his wife." One of the highlights of Anthony's set was another number from Lavoe, "Mi Gente," with the AAA crowd on their feet, dancing and waving their hands in the air as they sang with Anthony over and over again, "Aye, la, la, la, la, la, la!"
                                                Whether it was true emotion or part of Anthony's dramatic overtures, he stopped many times as the crowd cheered for him. At one point, he fell to his knees, looking up to the heavens as if undeserving of the accolades. It was, as they say, "a moment." As quickly as Anthony had the audience in the palm of his hand, the star power and sheer celebrity of Miss Jennifer Lopez quickly turned the love fest from salsa king to pop diva. As she performed in her first-ever full tour (can you believe it?), Jenny from the Block was in da house. She opened with a blow the roof off "Do It Well," but the buzz was less about whether she was singing live or had some electronic help, but about her obviously protruding belly. Hidden behind flowing Roberto Cavalli clothes, Lopez was still able to shake it, but hardly like you'd expect. At one point, as she did a full spin, from the vantage point of a front-row seat, J Lo's black bodysuit underneath did, in fact, reveal a baby bump. But the former Fly Girl can still move, keeping up with some intricately choreographed dancers and moving from one end of the stage to the other and out in front on a catwalk. For sure, J Lo doesn't have the vocal dexterity of her husband, but she's definitely built for an arena stage and despite being a tour virgin knew how to handle the crowd. She talked minimally except to reveal a small wardrobe malfunction and intermittent power outage and to wax poetic about what a fabulous "year of firsts" it's been. But then it was back to the lavish costumes, fireworks and hydraulic lifts. Unlike Anthony, her set was mostly in English except for a few songs from her release "Como Ama una Mujer," but just like audiences wanted Latin love songs from Anthony, they wanted Mrs. A. to stick with what she did best and with another costume a change she then reeled into "Waiting for Tonight" and "My Love Don't Cost A Thing." Finally, it was Jennifer in a full-length blue gown with matching sequined shoes and Marc in a subtle tan suit for the encore. "Let's give them what they want," you could almost imagine Marc saying when he whispered in his wife's ear. And they burst into song gazing lovingly at each other for "Por Arriesgarnos" and "No Me Ames," eliciting awws and even some tears from the audience. The two seemed genuinely happy to be singing together, touring together and keeping their noticeable secret safe together. -- Michelle F. Solomon Critic's Notebook: Personal Bias: The two performances were on such opposite ends of the musical spectrum, it was a bit jarring. Random Detail: Marc Anthony's mother sat in the first row and the performer blew kisses to her throughout his set. By the Way: Try to catch a glimpse of the tattoo on Anthony's wrist that bears his wife's name. Marc says: "It's so I can see it, and when I'm on stage everyone can read it."

46K3,606
                                                Admin
                                                46K3,606

Nov 05, 2007#74

Marc Anthony/J.Lo at Amway: Concert and spectacleposted by JimAbbott on Nov 5, 2007 1:17:40 AM
                                                  Marc Anthony and Jennifer Lopez perform a duet (Sara A. Fajardo, Orlando Sentinel). See the photos.
                                                  Being upstaged is an occupational hazard of doing a concert tour with a spouse. Just ask Jennifer Lopez, who was the headliner with husband Marc Anthony on Sunday at the Amway Arena, but had a hard time matching the sparks he generated on his own. Anthony and his fiery 15-piece backing band are seasoned road warriors that took the big arena crowd (only a few seats in the back of the upper bowl were left unfilled) and carried them along on a wave of infectious salsa rhythms. Out on her first-ever concert tour, J.Lo instead relied on videos, special effects and her celebrity star power. All that, as it turns out, isn't enough when the music isn't compelling - and when your husband sets the bar so high. In his opening 75 minutes, Anthony and his band offered a welcome reminder that you don't need explosions, a face like a model or tabloid gossip to command attention. It's enough to rip through rhythmically charged songs such as the opening "Aquanile" or the equally expressive "Valio La Pena." The former was marked by punchy horn blasts, the latter by propulsive percussion. Dressed in a knee-length black jacket, matching pants and an untucked white dress shirt, Anthony energetically prowled the stage, pounding his chest with his fist, as if imitating a heartbeat, executing an occasional dance move or dropping to knees when emotion called for it. His singing is equally expressive on the upbeat salsa numbers as well as ballads such as the stately "Hasta Ayer." Anthony even managed to redeem a cover of Journey's "Faithfully," that he dedicated to his wife. The crowd roared at the "road ain't no place to start a family" line, picking up on rumors that the couple is expecting. Still, it was an odd selection, especially when a perfectly good ballad such as "You Sang to Me" was left unused. It's better when Anthony sticks with his own hits, such as a lovely "Hasta Que te Conoci" in which he jumped into the crowd to let audience member and Latin star Olga Tañón sing along. Compared with such spontaneous magic, J.Lo's set was spectacle without substance. Songs such as "If You Had My Love" and her new Spanish-language "Qué Hiciste" were bland, no matter how many dancers or fireworks were enlisted to enliven them. Dressed in several flowing, loose-fitting costumes, J.Lo certainly looked as if she could, possibly, be with child. She seemed to be intentionally fueling such speculation by saying "it has been a really, really blessed year" and that she and her husband "got to do a lot together this year." The crowd, at least, roared as if it had been let in on a secret. There was a bigger roar when Anthony and Lopez finally sang together on encore versions of "Escapémonos" and "No Me Ames." More magic, and this time, it was a family affair. (Thanks to Sentinel staffer Martha Phifer for translation help on this review.)

20K2,682
                                                  Admin
                                                  20K2,682

Nov 05, 2007#75

Wasn't it PA? Ahh, I'm petty sure it was.
                                                    Twitter: @timmylovesjlo

Read more posts (1 remaining)