REVIEWS : Jennifer & Marc En Concierto -- "This night is so special on so many levels"

REVIEWS : Jennifer & Marc En Concierto -- "This night is so special on so many levels"

Master of Jenology

Sep 29, 2007#1

Concert Review: Lopez, Anthony Throw Party For Start Of Tour

By REGINA SCHAFFER
    Staff writer

Published: Saturday, September 29, 2007

ATLANTIC CITY - There was a party at the Trump Taj Mahal Arena on Friday night, and Marc Anthony and Jennifer Lopez played the perfect hosts.

The husband-and-wife pair, both touring to support new albums, each delivered flawless performances for the first of two sold-out shows in the arena Friday night. The Atlantic City show marked the start of Lopez and Anthony's nationwide tour. A second show takes place here tonight.

But if fan appreciation is any indication, then it is clear that Friday was Anthony's night.

Sorry, J.Lo - you did well, but your hubby outshines you in this arena.

In fact, from the moment Anthony's 15-piece brass band played those first, driving beats of his hit Spanish song "Aguanile" - and Anthony twisted his hips - the mood was clear.

He was throwing a non-stop salsa fest. And it was absolutely irresistible.

"It's OK to dance a little, you know?" Anthony said to screaming fans. "It's OK to get up, move a little, express yourselves, OK? Shake it out!"

Fans obliged. They took to the aisles. They happily salsa danced as Anthony's hit "Ahora Quien" played and bright pink-and-red lights shined on the stage.

Wearing a military-style jacket, white shirt, black pants and black rosary beads around his neck, Anthony appeared poised and comfortable in his own skin. He seemed to thoroughly enjoy himself onstage - and that carried over into the crowd.

"I missed you guys," Anthony said. "It's OK to get up and dance and have a good time."

And they did.

Lopez, for her part, looked equally comfortable considering she was headlining her first concert tour and, as expected with someone like Lopez, she was on top of her game. Her routines looked flawless. She could have gone the Latin route and sang only Spanish-language songs from her new album "Como Ama una Mujer."

But she didn't. She was the kind of star fans like to see - one who delivers on all the radio hits that make her famous.

She opened her part of the show with her new single "Do It Well," which is on her upcoming album "Brave" due in stores Oct. 9.

While never known for having a powerhouse voice, Lopez sounded good. But she lacks the ability to create the mood her husband does so naturally.

It was evident she had a backing track helping her out, while Anthony's voice projected through the arena.

J.Lo's costumes did little, if anything, to quell the growing rumors that she is expecting (the couple have so far denied that Lopez is pregnant). Lopez opened her set wearing a pair of flowy, blue bell-bottoms and a matching baby-doll top with, um, plenty of room to "grow."

As for her moves? The former "fly girl" did dance - and threw in some wicked salsa moves for Anthony fans - but she appeared to keep her moves toned down. Bun in the oven, perhaps? You decide.

If one theme seemed to carry across through the entire show, it was this - the couple was having a great time onstage. Closing the concert with their well-known duet, the Spanish language "No me Ames," they certainly appeared to be a happy couple. That makes for a better show.

"This night is so special on so many levels," Anthony said. "You guys are the first to witness this moment."

The concert, scheduled to begin at 8 p.m., was a little behind schedule getting started. Opening comedian Joe Vega, who did not take the stage until 8:45, lightened the mood for the crowd - and put the delay in perspective.

"If you notice, all the Latinos are walking in right now," said Vega, who has appeared on "The Sopranos" and "Latin Legends of Comedy." "And they'll be about 6,000 more walking in at 9:30. The white people got here at 7:30."

To e-mail Regina Schaffer at The Press:

[email protected]

LINK:
    http://www.pressofatlanticcity.com/news ... 3343c.html

20K2,682
    Admin
    20K2,682

Sep 29, 2007#2

Thanks! This forum is going to be B-USY!!!
      Twitter: @timmylovesjlo

Doctor of Jenology

Sep 29, 2007#3

nice!

Master of Jenology

Sep 29, 2007#4

great see see a mostly positive review of Jen's set! and im glad the reviewer, like me, has realised how great it is that Jen didnt just do CAUM songs and a few hits, she performed the hits from her entire career.

Bachelor of Jenology

Sep 29, 2007#5

You know what song I truely want JLO to sing at the CHICAGO UNITED CENTER -- :clears throat (Marc tell this to Jenny PPPPPPPLEASE!!): is The One part 2, Oh my Gosh I will like tear up if she does cuz thats my favorite favoriteeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee song from her! I know its a ballad but she'll look so beautiful singing it :in awwzs and ahhzs: hehe :=]p*

Sep 29, 2007#6

You know what song I truely want JLO to sing at the CHICAGO UNITED CENTER -- :clears throat (Marc tell this to Jenny PPPPPPPLEASE!!): is The One part 2 or AGAIN , Oh my Gosh I will like tear up if she does cuz thats my favorite favoriteeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee song from her! I know its a ballad but she'll look so beautiful singing it :in awwzs and ahhzs: hehe :=]p*

Doctor of Jenology

Sep 29, 2007#7

I love 'The One' too but I prefer the original not part 2

46K3,606
                Admin
                46K3,606

Sep 29, 2007#8

OMG, yes, they started SO late, lol. Marc seriosly, did not come out, till like 9:30. And, yes, people were still walking in like the comedian said. He was quite funny. He's Jen and Marc's favorite comedian, they said. If you're Hispanic, you'll like it.