Fashion Magazine - November 2007

Fashion Magazine - November 2007

Admin

Oct 22, 2007#1

She's not on the cover, but there's a brief interview and picture. I can't find the accompanying photo and I don't have a scanner, but she's wearing shiny round earrings, her hair is up in a kind of French twist with some bangs, and a peacoat-style top...it looks kinda retro?
    (It's actually called Fashion magazine btw, lol.)

Brave Heart: Jennifer Lopez was just 30 when her debut album, On the 6, transformed her into a superstar. Eight years later, J.Lo finds her groove.
    By John Crossingham.

"Being brave has always been a philosophy of mine," says Jennifer Lopez, "to forge ahead - no matter what happens."

Moving forward -and fast- Lopez's just-released sixth album, Brave, is actually her second 2007 disc. Appropriately titled for a women who shows zero fear in the pursuit of her ambitions, it follows the release of her all-Espanol Como Ama Una Mujer (How A Woman Loves). With it's two lead singles, "Hold It Don't Drop It" and "Do It Well" - both catchy slices of R&B pop - Brave also underscores a radio-ready approach in the wake of her Spanish offering.

"It's a hard dance-groove album in general. I set out to make something that always makes your head bop, even in the mid-tempo moments," says Lopez, who seems eager to re-establish herself as a musical force after the less-than-stellar performance of 2005's Rebirth, an album whose tepid performance seemed to signal an oversaturation of all things J.Lo.

Or maybe it was just confusion. Actress? Singer? Dancer? Perfumer? International brand? Serial wife? Television producer? Tabloid fixture? Fashion designer? Jack of all trades, master of none? Hers is a multi-faceted career for which she is the modern archetype, but she paid a price for her omnivorous work ethic. Still, Lopez is a fighter. This isn't the first time a few odds were against her.

While working as a dancer on the '90s comedy series In Living Color, she spent years toiling on go-nowhere TV shows. When her breakthrough role in the 1997 film Selena earned her a Golden Globe nomination, no one predicted her future status as a global phenomenon. But the role was a catalyst - shortly afterwards, Lopez began branching out from acting.

"Everything happened at the right time for me, " she says of her career's pace. "In my early 20s, I was auditioning and struggling. That was good for my character. By the time I put out my first record, my feet were firmly planted on the ground."

Lopez was on the cusp of 30 when that debut album, 1999's On the 6, was released. "I was mature enough to be able to handle things that are very difficult, that come with success and fame," says Lopez, now 38. Of a career that exploded in her 30s, she adds, "I know to appreciate things."

It would appear. Three times looks to be the charm in her married life. She and singer Marc Anthony, whom she wed in 2004, co-starred in this year's El Cantante, have a joint tour this autumn and, three years after getting married, are still spotted holding hands and gazing dreamily at each other. Of course, a skeptical public continues to puzzle Lopez.

"It's funny," she says - but you can tell it's not ha-ha funny - "the strange question we always get about working together. It's not 'What's the best thing about it?' It's always 'What's the worst thing? Tell us!'"

Which is something Lopez has long figured out about us - that we're interested only in the worst. A happy marriage? It's only a matter of time before it implodes, jeers an incredulous public. It's a perspective that ultimately bags the question: How would she like us to view her?

"God, I don't even know anymore," she gasps, laughing. If anything, she may have learned the sly trick to being a celebrity: Don't worry about a public opinion you essentially can't change.

"I'm in a really great time now," says Lopez, "professionally and, more than that, personally." Whether or not Brave is a smash, you get the sense that she's found a way to be content, that the machine that was "J.Lo" has, finally, found a neutral gear.

14K2,609
    Admin
    14K2,609

Oct 23, 2007#2

Thanks Jess.
      "I'm in a really great time now," says Lopez, "professionally and, more than that, personally." Whether or not Brave is a smash, you get the sense that she's found a way to be content, that the machine that was "J.Lo" has, finally, found a neutral gear.

46K3,606
      Admin
      46K3,606

Oct 24, 2007#3

Thanks!
        Don't worry about a public opinion you essentially can't change.
        Yup.

Bachelor of Jenology

Oct 24, 2007#4

thanks! =)

Intro to Jenology

Oct 24, 2007#5

thanx!