Bachelor of Jenology

Jan 30, 2018#26

^Quality? They say they award artistic excellence. Where, though? They're all about the charts. They only throw in a couple of unknown records to make it seem like it's about talent.

22K4,141
    Doctor of Jenology
    22K4,141

Jan 30, 2018#27

QueenCedar101 wrote:^Quality? They say they award artistic excellence. Where, though? They're all about the charts. They only throw in a couple of unknown records to make it seem like it's about talent.
      LMAO! Exactly!

Bachelor of Jenology

Jan 30, 2018#28

QueenCedar101 wrote:^Quality? They say they award artistic excellence. Where, though? They're all about the charts. They only throw in a couple of unknown records to make it seem like it's about talent.
        I agree but they snubbed Despacito. Despite what someone thinks, that song broke every record and had the biggest impact this decade. I can't believe Bruno got that one. And that Shakira is one of the two ladies that even got Grammy in some big category :wow

Bachelor of Jenology

Jan 30, 2018#29

pitbulljlo wrote:
          I agree but they snubbed Despacito. Despite what someone thinks, that song broke every record and had the biggest impact this decade. I can't believe Bruno got that one. And that Shakira is one of the two ladies that even got Grammy in some big category :wow
          So broken records mean a song is better? Quantity =/= Quality. And the Best Latin Pop Album category can't be that big. Those are like the smaller ones. AOTY, ROTY, SOTY are the three biggies. I do think that Bruno sweeping in all of those categories wasn't right.

Bachelor of Jenology

Jan 30, 2018#30

QueenCedar101 wrote:
            pitbulljlo wrote:
            So broken records mean a song is better? Quantity =/= Quality. And the Best Latin Pop Album category can't be that big. Those are like the smaller ones. AOTY, ROTY, SOTY are the three biggies. I do think that Bruno sweeping in all of those categories wasn't right.
            No, you said they are about the charts and in that terms Despacito was snubbed.
            Imo, they are the smaller ones but on news they said it was night for male artists with only Shakira & Alessa Cara as female winners in important categories.

Bachelor of Jenology

Jan 30, 2018#31

pitbulljlo wrote:
              QueenCedar101 wrote:
              pitbulljlo wrote:
              No, you said they are about the charts and in that terms Despacito was snubbed.
              Imo, they are the smaller ones but on news they said it was night for male artists with only Shakira & Alessa Cara as female winners in important categories.
              Despacito may have been snubbed, but Bruno was very popular on the radio, and in terms of views, probably more so than Despacito. As for females, Rihanna won a category, but I think it was as a feature. Not a fan of Alessia at all, but better than Julia.

Master of Jenology

Jan 30, 2018#32

I think The Grammys are just like some bbers, they care only for hits, in other case Shakira and Fonsi would not even have been nominated for their generic records, cause you need to admit, there are some urban and reggaeton bops out there with quality, but Shakira and Luis Fonsi aren't one of those.

Bachelor of Jenology

Jan 30, 2018#33

daxview wrote:I think The Grammys are just like some bbers, they care only for hits, in other case Shakira and Fonsi would not even have been nominated for their generic records, cause you need to admit, there are some urban and reggaeton bops out there with quality, but Shakira and Luis Fonsi aren't one of those.
                  Very true. I agree with you tbh. If they were worthy for any Grammys, it would be for their earlier records from the early 2000's or somewhere like that. Plus, I find it hard to understand why Shakira has more Grammys than Gloria Estefan or Celia Cruz.

26K8,905
                  Doctor of Jenology
                  26K8,905

Jan 31, 2018#34

Chantaje and Despacito >>>>>>>>>>>>
                    QueenCedar101 wrote:
                    daxview wrote:I think The Grammys are just like some bbers, they care only for hits, in other case Shakira and Fonsi would not even have been nominated for their generic records, cause you need to admit, there are some urban and reggaeton bops out there with quality, but Shakira and Luis Fonsi aren't one of those.
                    Very true. I agree with you tbh. If they were worthy for any Grammys, it would be for their earlier records from the early 2000's or somewhere like that. Plus, I find it hard to understand why Shakira has more Grammys than Gloria Estefan or Celia Cruz.
                    Gloria Estefan and Celia Cruz = different generation/different genre! Comparing apples to oranges again. :coffee

And no, Shakira does not have more Grammys than Gloria Estefan or Celia Cruz. Nice try though!!! :jenlmao

Bachelor of Jenology

Jan 31, 2018#35

J wrote:Chantaje and Despacito >>>>>>>>>>>>
                      QueenCedar101 wrote:
                      Gloria Estefan and Celia Cruz = different generation/different genre! Comparing apples to oranges again. :coffee

And no, Shakira does not have more Grammys than Gloria Estefan or Celia Cruz. Nice try though!!! :jenlmao
                      How many times are you going to keep using the apples to oranges argument? Also, don't Latin Grammys count as actual Grammys? I would think so.

Shakira: 15 Grammys
                      Gloria Estefan: 7 Grammys
                      Celia Cruz: 5 Grammys (somewhere in there)

Funny how you keep saying that, yet can't back up with any real evidence. Nice try, though.

26K8,905
                      Doctor of Jenology
                      26K8,905

Jan 31, 2018#36

Dan#jlofan wrote:Lol at y'all acting dumb. Everyone here knows how the game works. Charts don't determine Grammys, but it does help determine what's on their radar. The stuff Jen has been releasing has been on no award shows radar. Do u think if desposito was a flop it would be getting nominated for anything?

I can't believe that some of you are actually trashing her vocal ability when every other fan base does that to Jen.
                        Well said. :clap

Bachelor of Jenology

Jan 31, 2018#37

Dan#jlofan wrote:
                          rafaelsalguero wrote:So the Grammy its about Charts or Quality??
                          The simple answer is both.
                          Both? Where? You said that Despacito wouldn't have been nominated if not popular. And El Dorado would've been nominated if it wasn't known?

26K8,905
                          Doctor of Jenology
                          26K8,905

Jan 31, 2018#38

QueenCedar101 wrote:How many times are you going to keep using the apples to oranges argument? Also, don't Latin Grammys count as actual Grammys? I would think so.
                            Eh.... NO! Grammys =/= Latin Grammys. The Recording Academy =/= Latin Recording Academy. :jenloco

Gloria released most of her albums in the 80/90s. Celia in the 50s/60s/70s/80s/90s. The Latin Grammy Awards debuted in September 2000. So yeah. Comparing apples to oranges again.

Nice try though! :jenlmao

Jan 31, 2018#39

QueenCedar101 wrote:
                              Dan#jlofan wrote:
                              rafaelsalguero wrote:So the Grammy its about Charts or Quality??
                              The simple answer is both.
                              Both? Where? You said that Despacito wouldn't have been nominated if not popular. And El Dorado would've been nominated if it wasn't known?

Definition of both
                              : the one as well as the other

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/both

Bachelor of Jenology

Jan 31, 2018#40

J wrote:
                                QueenCedar101 wrote:How many times are you going to keep using the apples to oranges argument? Also, don't Latin Grammys count as actual Grammys? I would think so.
                                Eh.... NO! Grammys =/= Latin Grammys. The Recording Academy =/= Latin Recording Academy. :jenloco

Gloria released most of her albums in the 80/90s. Celia in the 50s/60s/70s/80s/90s. The Latin Grammy Awards debuted in September 2000. So yeah. Comparing apples to oranges again.

Yeah. That means Shakira has the same talent they do.
                                "Hey, Becky, did you know that you shouldn't compare artists from different generations, because it's like comparing apples to oranges? Everyone has the same amount of talent".

26K8,905
                                Doctor of Jenology
                                26K8,905

Jan 31, 2018#41

QueenCedar101 wrote:
                                  J wrote:

"Hey, Becky, did you know that you shouldn't compare artists from different generations, because it's like comparing apples to oranges? Everyone has the same amount of talent".
                                  Why are you so mad at Shakira's success? Haters gonna hate. :jenlmao

Bachelor of Jenology

Jan 31, 2018#42

J wrote:
                                    QueenCedar101 wrote:
                                    J wrote:

Why are you so mad at Shakira's success? Haters gonna hate. :jenlmao

Yeah, because Shakira's album is definitely new and ground-breaking. No other Latin artists can do the style and music she's doing. Not even Anitta can do what she's doing.

26K8,905
                                    Doctor of Jenology
                                    26K8,905

Jan 31, 2018#43

QueenCedar101 wrote:
                                      Yeah, because Shakira's album is definitely new and ground-breaking. No other Latin artists can do the style and music she's doing. Not even Anitta can do what she's doing.
                                      Maybe you should just give up. :lmao

Shakira deserved to win.

Tú eres puro, puro chantaje
                                      Puro, puro chantaje
                                      :dance

Bachelor of Jenology

Jan 31, 2018#44

J wrote:
                                        QueenCedar101 wrote:

Shakira deserved to win.

Puro, puro chantaje
                                        :giggles Because she was the most successful out of all of them. Yep. She totally deserved it.

26K8,905
                                        Doctor of Jenology
                                        26K8,905

Jan 31, 2018#45

QueenCedar101 wrote:
                                          J wrote:
                                          QueenCedar101 wrote:

Shakira deserved to win.

Puro, puro chantaje
                                          :giggles Because she was the most successful out of all of them. Yep. She totally deserved it.
                                          No. She won, because the members of the Recording Academy (music industry professionals) think she deserved to win a Grammy (= the highest honor in music). :dance

Bachelor of Jenology

Jan 31, 2018#46

J wrote:
                                            QueenCedar101 wrote:
                                            J wrote:
                                            QueenCedar101 wrote:

Shakira deserved to win.

Puro, puro chantaje
                                            No. She won, because the members of the Recording Academy (music industry professionals) think she deserved to win a Grammy (= the highest honor in music). :dance

Yep. Because her music definitely represents "artistic excellence". Grammys =/= Talent one bit.

Doctor of Jenology

Jan 31, 2018#47

No she didnt deserve anything for that album. I used to be fan of her for years but damn that album was too bad lyrically: "Que boca más redondita, Me gusta esa barbita" I mean seriously?!

CAUM didnt have any nomination but El Dorato won it, sο the whole discussion of value is totally a fiasco...............

Bachelor of Jenology

Jan 31, 2018#48

alexjlover wrote:No she didnt deserve anything for that album. I used to be fan of her for years but damn that album was too bad lyrically: "Que boca más redondita, Me gusta esa barbita" I mean seriously?!

CAUM didnt have any nomination but El Dorato won it, sο the whole discussion of value is totally a fiasco...............

Translating that lyric into English, you're actually right. If I'm not lying, I heard that her songs were about sex, and I believe it had to have been dirty. I think that instead of trying to keep up with the trends and do what's popular to get publicity, she should be doing what she did back then, and go back to making great, memorable albums like Laundry Service. She might would be more worthy for Grammys then, and would probably be even more popular.

Read more posts (-2 remaining)