23K5,923
Doctor of Jenology
23K5,923

Jan 05, 2018#926

OMG I am DYING to see Molly's Game. Great review, can't wait. :woot

I saw Wonder, and I thought it was really cheesy, generic and manipulative. I was eye rolling all the way through. There were people in my theater crying buckets and I was just sitting there wondering what I was missing. I gotta say though, movies like this in general are so not my thing. So if you watch the trailer and you like what you see, you'll probably love the hell out of it.

Downsizing was fucking phenomenal. It divided critics, and audiences seem to hate it, but to me, it's one of the best movies of the year. I love when a great, well established director takes chances and explores different genres, and to see Alexander Payne take on this kind of story was really exciting to behold. It's probably the funniest Alexander Payne movie since Election, and the structure is so strange and disorienting, it almost felt like watching a double bill. The movie takes a turn halfway through, after it introduces one more major character, and if you go with it, you'll probably like it, and if you don't, well, too bad. I did, and I had a blast. Also - this movie has probably the funniest scene of all of 2017, I was in tears. You'll know it when you see it, if you're not annoyed by it, that is (a lot of people seem to be.)

I found out it's one of Denis Villeneuve's favorite movies of the year too, so... Sorry hatrez.

14K6,334
    Contributor
    14K6,334

Jan 05, 2018#927

^ I love Alexander Payne but I just can't stand Matt Damon I can't even explain it, he's the only actor that would stop me from watching a movie if he's the lead i mean I skipped The Martian because of him.

23K5,923
      Doctor of Jenology
      23K5,923

Jan 05, 2018#928

daisylo wrote:^ I love Alexander Payne but I just can't stand Matt Damon I can't even explain it, he's the only actor that would stop me from watching a movie if he's the lead i mean I skipped The Martian because of him.
        I don't really have an actor that would stop me from watching a movie if they're in it, thank goodness. Matt Damon is a giant douchebag in general, but he continues to get cast in way too many good movies, and he's really good in most of them. The Martian is one of my favorite movies of 2015, it's a lot of fun, you should definitely see it sometime.

Bachelor of Jenology

Jan 05, 2018#929

nixy1991 wrote:OMG I am DYING to see Molly's Game. Great review, can't wait. :woot

I saw Wonder, and I thought it was really cheesy, generic and manipulative. I was eye rolling all the way through. There were people in my theater crying buckets and I was just sitting there wondering what I was missing. I gotta say though, movies like this in general are so not my thing. So if you watch the trailer and you like what you see, you'll probably love the hell out of it
          You're entitled to you own opinon, but I thought it was really good. It's like the book, though the book goes into much more detail. It's better to read the book first and then watch the movie. Then again, it's more targeted for adolescents because the book is around those of that range, so it may not have appealed to you, due to it's target audience. I wouldn't call it manipulative, but I do think it's interesting to bring situations like Auggie's to life. I surprisingly liked Julia Roberts' performance in the movie.

23K5,923
          Doctor of Jenology
          23K5,923

Jan 05, 2018#930

QueenCedar101 wrote:
            nixy1991 wrote:OMG I am DYING to see Molly's Game. Great review, can't wait. :woot

I saw Wonder, and I thought it was really cheesy, generic and manipulative. I was eye rolling all the way through. There were people in my theater crying buckets and I was just sitting there wondering what I was missing. I gotta say though, movies like this in general are so not my thing. So if you watch the trailer and you like what you see, you'll probably love the hell out of it
            You're entitled to you own opinon, but I thought it was really good. It's like the book, though the book goes into much more detail. It's better to read the book first and then watch the movie. Then again, it's more targeted for adolescents because the book is around those of that range, so it may not have appealed to you, due to it's target audience. I wouldn't call it manipulative, but I do think it's interesting to bring situations like Auggie's to life. I surprisingly liked Julia Roberts' performance in the movie.
            Sure, I have nothing against what the movie stands for, I definitely think it's necessary to portray situations like this in movies, I just have a problem with the way it was handled. It's really tiresome to see the same tropes used over and over again without anything new being brought to the table. I knew how this story would play out beat for beat before the first act even finished, and that was a problem for me. Like I said, though, it's not my kind of thing. The people in my audience were loving it. I'm glad you did too.

Bachelor of Jenology

Jan 05, 2018#931

nixy1991 wrote:
              QueenCedar101 wrote:

Sure, I have nothing against what the movie stands for, I definitely think it's necessary to portray situations like this in movies, I just have a problem with the way it was handled. It's really tiresome to see the same tropes used over and over again without anything new being brought to the table. I knew how this story would play out beat for beat before the first act even finished, and that was a problem for me. Like I said, though, it's not my kind of thing. The people in my audience were loving it. I'm glad you did too.
              Understandable. Everyone has different preferences. I do think there were some things that could've been handled better, but it was just like the book, which was a good thing.

14K6,334
              Contributor
              14K6,334

Jan 06, 2018#932

nixy1991 wrote:
                daisylo wrote:^ I love Alexander Payne but I just can't stand Matt Damon I can't even explain it, he's the only actor that would stop me from watching a movie if he's the lead i mean I skipped The Martian because of him.
                I don't really have an actor that would stop me from watching a movie if they're in it, thank goodness. Matt Damon is a giant douchebag in general, but he continues to get cast in way too many good movies, and he's really good in most of them. The Martian is one of my favorite movies of 2015, it's a lot of fun, you should definitely see it sometime.
                he's too much in it lol right now I can't.

by the way in Molly's game apparently Michael Cera = Tobey MaGuire and when they talk about the yankees player = Arod

Jan 06, 2018#933

looks fun

23K5,923
                  Doctor of Jenology
                  23K5,923

Jan 06, 2018#934

I kinda feel like they gave away the whole movie with that trailer. Looks fun, though.

This reminded me. I can't wait for Tully. It reunites Charlize with Diablo Cody and Jason Reitman. Young Adult is so fantastic, I still watch it once in a while, and I never get tired of it. Love that movie so much.

Intro to Jenology

Jan 08, 2018#935

Johannes Brost RIP (played Joker the bartender on Rederiet , he did almost 318 (!) shows over 10 yrs)

A huge loss for fans.

14K6,334
                      Contributor
                      14K6,334

Jan 09, 2018#936

Star Wars was so disappointing it had some good moments and I wasn't really bored watching it but the tone of the film, some of the dialogues and characters were completely off like it belong to an other movie, JJ Abrams did such a great job with The Force Awakens which wasn't perfect but a lot of fun to watch, he should have wrote and directed this one too and I love Rian Johnson but this is a miss for me.

Doctor of Jenology

Jan 10, 2018#937

Just seen "Molly's Game" last week and it was fantastic!!! So far it is number 2 of my favorite movies from 2017, right under "Dunkirk". I love Jessica Chastain's talent so damn much. She has yet to not impress me. Her role in "Zero Dark Thirty" is probably still my favorite from her, and an incredible movie too. But this was so damn good for me. Love Aaron Sorkin's script, and his style of dialogue, which is almost not 'real-world' type of dialogue, which in turn kind of reminds me of the movies from 50's and 60's, where people adapted that Trans-Atlantic accent style of speaking. Idris Elba was fantastic in here too, he needs to be in more quality movies like this.

23K5,923
                          Doctor of Jenology
                          23K5,923

Jan 11, 2018#938

:woot

14K6,334
                            Contributor
                            14K6,334

Jan 11, 2018#939

I hadn't hear about this movie before you mentioned it, I hope it will be as good as Young Adult

Intro to Jenology

Jan 13, 2018#940

The '96 Phantom movie was crappy compared to the Scandinavian comics which has a lot more depth and a rich history , several time periods : pirate era 16-1700s , medieval era 14-1600s , WW2 etc

The story called Golden runes from '89 would've been awesome as a movie with horror-esque elements , wizards etc.

23K5,923
                                Doctor of Jenology
                                23K5,923

Jan 18, 2018#941

Molly's Game was great, as expected. It was written to perfection, as most of Sorkin's stuff is, and Jessica delivers a career best. I'm so pissed she's not getting as much Oscar hype as she deserves, because I honestly don't see how she'll ever top this performance. The movie at times weirdly reminded me of The Wolf of Wall Street, which made me wonder how it would look if someone else directed it instead. Sorkin did a very good job, but I didn't really catch a distinct style, directing wise. It's his first movie, though, so I can't really fault him for that all that much. I had a few problems with the movie. The pacing was a bit all over the place at times, and the long scene with Molly and her father in the park near the end of the movie was cheesy beyond belief. That whole scene was so cringy and awful that it felt like Sorkin was possessed by the spirit of Nicholas Sparks or something. Ugh. Other than that, I pretty much loved it.

14K6,334
                                  Contributor
                                  14K6,334

Jan 24, 2018#942

^ I think Jessica can even do better I put her performance in ZDT and A Most Violent Year at the same level.

So what was all the talk around Girls Trip ? this was a pretty mediocre comedy with a couple of funny scenes that's all.

Ingrid goes West
                                    was really good the kind of Dark comedies I love and Plaza is perfect for that role.

Doctor of Jenology

Jan 25, 2018#943

nixy1991 wrote:Molly's Game was great, as expected. It was written to perfection, as most of Sorkin's stuff is, and Jessica delivers a career best. I'm so pissed she's not getting as much Oscar hype as she deserves, because I honestly don't see how she'll ever top this performance. The movie at times weirdly reminded me of The Wolf of Wall Street, which made me wonder how it would look if someone else directed it instead. Sorkin did a very good job, but I didn't really catch a distinct style, directing wise. It's his first movie, though, so I can't really fault him for that all that much. I had a few problems with the movie. The pacing was a bit all over the place at times, and the long scene with Molly and her father in the park near the end of the movie was cheesy beyond belief. That whole scene was so cringy and awful that it felt like Sorkin was possessed by the spirit of Nicholas Sparks or something. Ugh. Other than that, I pretty much loved it.
                                      I am really surprised at the amount of hate that scene gets because I thought it worked so well!! It made me shed a tear. It was cheesy but I thought it was good cheese.

23K5,923
                                      Doctor of Jenology
                                      23K5,923

Jan 25, 2018#944

daisylo wrote:So what was all the talk around Girls Trip ? this was a pretty mediocre comedy with a couple of funny scenes that's all.
                                        I have no idea. I was really bored for the most part.
                                        FeelinSoGood2002 wrote:I am really surprised at the amount of hate that scene gets because I thought it worked so well!! It made me shed a tear. It was cheesy but I thought it was good cheese.
                                        If it was in another movie, it might've worked. Nothing that happened before this scene in the film was even remotely as cheesy, which made it feel really out of place. Which is a shame, because I thought he did a pretty good job setting up her relationship with her father, so to have it culminate in that outburst of sentimentality came off really cheap in my opinion.

14K6,334
                                        Contributor
                                        14K6,334

Jan 26, 2018#945

I love that teaser.

23K5,923
                                          Doctor of Jenology
                                          23K5,923

Jan 26, 2018#946

That was really creative!

OMG, Charlie Kaufman is making a new movie!!
                                            Charlie Kaufman Set to Direct 'I'm Thinking of Ending Things' for Netflix

For his next feature, Charlie Kaufman is making the jump to Netflix.

The Being John Malkovich filmmaker, who hasn't been in the director's chair since 2015's stop-motion drama Anomalisa, is set to write and direct an adaption of Iain Reid's I'm Thinking of Ending Things for the streamer.

The novel takes place on a road trip, where Jake is taking his girlfriend to meet his parents on their secluded farm, all the while Jake's girlfriend is thinking of ending things. When Jake makes an unexpected detour leaving her stranded, a twisted mix of palpable tension, psychological frailty and sheer terror ensues.

Anthony Bregman — who worked with Kaufman on Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind and Synecdoche, New York — and Stefanie Azpiazu will produce via their Likely Story banner. Kaufman will also produce, while Reid will serve as co-producer.

Kaufman, who is credited as a writer on Doug Liman's upcoming sci-fi feature, Chaos Walking, is repped by WME and Hansen Jacobson.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/ ... ix-1078247
                                            :omg :wow :woot

14K6,334
                                            Contributor
                                            14K6,334

Jan 26, 2018#947

^ nice Eternal sunshine is Top 3 for me.

Tully is getting great reviews at Sundance.

23K5,923
                                              Doctor of Jenology
                                              23K5,923

Jan 26, 2018#948

That's exciting! :woot

I love Diablo Cody, and I'm so glad she and Jason are working again. The only Diablo Cody movie I disliked was Paradise, which was so bad in pretty much every way, I can't even believe she wrote it, yet alone had enough belief in it to make it her directorial debut. I'm one of the rare people who love Jennifer's Body, that movie doesn't get enough credit for being so boldly subversive, and I feel like it was ahead of its time, I think it would've be much better received if it were made 5 or so years later.

14K6,334
                                                Contributor
                                                14K6,334

Jan 26, 2018#949

I don't know that much about her work I've only seen Juno and Young adult + United States of Tara

23K5,923
                                                  Doctor of Jenology
                                                  23K5,923

Jan 26, 2018#950

daisylo wrote:I don't know that much about her work I've only seen Juno and Young adult + United States of Tara
                                                    Love that show. 3 great seasons, and it kept getting better with each one, and it solidified Toni Collette as my favorite living actress. She's been in a ton of shitty movies this year, and I still can't get enough of her.

Ricky and the Flash was good, but not particularly memorable, but you should probably check out Jennifer's Body at some point if you're feeling adventurous. It's a bizarre mix of genres, but it definitely worked for me.

Read more posts (2247 remaining)