14K6,334
Contributor
14K6,334

Dec 01, 2017#901

Damn they’re all in it, did they announce that it will be the last Avenger movie ?

loved Battle of sexes I’ve heard mixed opinions about it so didn’t know what to expect but it was really enjoyable to watch and the subject very important with today’s environment + Emma Stone and Carrell were excellent !

23K5,923
    Doctor of Jenology
    23K5,923

Dec 01, 2017#902

There's another one coming out in 2019, they shot them back to back.

If they actually manage to cram all these characters into one movie without making a mess, I'll be very impressed.

Can't wait to see Battle of the Sexes!

14K6,334
      Contributor
      14K6,334

Dec 01, 2017#903

2 at once ? Must have been a long shoot, should be fun.

Intro to Jenology

Dec 05, 2017#904

Riki Hashimoto RIP (Fist of Fury main villain)

I met 2 of the opponents from Game of Death , how cool is that :x

23K5,923
          Doctor of Jenology
          23K5,923

Dec 14, 2017#905

Zero spoilers, if anyone gives a shit.

Just saw Star Wars: The Last Jedi, and it was good. I'm not really into SW so much, so I went in just expecting to have fun, and that's pretty much what I got for the most part. This being a SW movie, I expected a lot of cheesiness, ridiculous dialogue and bad acting, and there's a lot of that. At this point with Star Wars that doesn't exactly bother me as it would with any other movie, just because that's pretty much what this franchise has always been and I've accepted it as such. It has its own tone and if it were handled in a more drastically serious way, it would most probably take away from the overall enjoyment of it.

Rian Johnson gets most of it so right. His movies so far have all been consistently interesting and well made, and I feel like he has a unique voice, so to see him add his own spin to this franchise was really exciting. It's not the kind of movie you look at and think it was made by a committee, it feels like a singular directorial vision, and it's all the better for it. I don't think JJ Abrams is a bad or even mediocre filmmaker, but I have yet to see a film of his that feels completely his own, rather than a really talented, skilled fan doing an impersonation of a director he admires.

It's by far the most visually stunning Star Wars movie yet. That was evident even from the trailers, but there's so many incredible shots and exciting camerawork that I was really surprised by. Major props to the costume department, too, they actually got a chance to to something original for the first time since the franchise started, finally. The costumes in The Force Awakens were depressing to look at, to say the least. John William's score sounded like any other Star Wars score to me, which it should have, I guess. Don't expect any innovation on that front anytime soon.

The movie has major pacing issues. The main plot is intercut with three different subplots, and while they were all essential to the film, each of them is so bizarrely paced that the movie ended up feeling twice as long that it actually is. There's an entire subplot involving a main character from the last movie and a newbie, in some weird Vegas-like planet that if you showed me any random shot from that part I would've guessed it's something from the Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them movie. Also, some of the humor felt too... Marvel-ish, for lack of a better description.

There's more stuff that I liked/disliked but I'll stop. I didn't think I'd write about it this much. lol I got carried away.

TL;DR: You're gonna see it anyway. It doesn't suck.

Bachelor of Jenology

Dec 22, 2017#906

Has anyone watched the movie Madame?
              Rossy de Palma is great in it but I'm confused by the ending. It feels like there'd be a sequel but I saw the movie hasn't been successful (so far).

23K5,923
              Doctor of Jenology
              23K5,923

Dec 22, 2017#907

pitbulljlo wrote:Has anyone watched the movie Madame?
                Rossy de Palma is great in it but I'm confused by the ending. It feels like there'd be a sequel but I saw the movie hasn't been successful (so far).
                No, but I definitely will by year's end. I adore Toni Collette, and I hope it's good, she's been in a ton of shitty movies this year.

Bachelor of Jenology

Dec 22, 2017#908

nixy1991 wrote:
                  pitbulljlo wrote:Has anyone watched the movie Madame?
                  No, but I definitely will by year's end. I adore Toni Collette, and I hope it's good, she's been in a ton of shitty movies this year.
                  The movie is good but kinda short, I think everyone in theatre had the same face expression after it lol.
                  She did well, imo.
                  I'm looking forward to your review :cheer
                  Make sure to post it!

14K6,334
                  Contributor
                  14K6,334

Dec 23, 2017#909

Bright was pretty bad David Ayer should stop with the surnaturel stuff it’s really not his thing.

23K5,923
                    Doctor of Jenology
                    23K5,923

Dec 24, 2017#910

daisylo wrote:Bright was pretty bad David Ayer should stop with the surnaturel stuff it’s really not his thing.
                      It was horrible. It was so bad that I actually started wondering if David Ayer was ever good to begin with, or if he just got lucky with Training Day and End of Watch. End of Watch remains the only movie he both wrote and directed that was genuinely fantastic. But with that screenwriter, I can't say I'm surprised. Every movie Max Landis has written since Chronicle was a disaster. Ugh.

14K6,334
                      Contributor
                      14K6,334

Dec 25, 2017#911

nixy1991 wrote:
                        daisylo wrote:Bright was pretty bad David Ayer should stop with the surnaturel stuff it’s really not his thing.
                        It was horrible. It was so bad that I actually started wondering if David Ayer was ever good to begin with, or if he just got lucky with Training Day and End of Watch. End of Watch remains the only movie he both wrote and directed that was genuinely fantastic. But with that screenwriter, I can't say I'm surprised. Every movie Max Landis has written since Chronicle was a disaster. Ugh.
                        That's what I don't understand you see the last 3/4 movies Landis wrote how can you trust him to write your movie (the same thing that piss me off with the movies Jen produces), End of Watch was my favorite movie the year it was released not sure what happen to him after that.

23K5,923
                        Doctor of Jenology
                        23K5,923

Dec 25, 2017#912

Exclusive footage of me watching Call Me By Your Name:
                          ABBC3_SPOILER_SHOW
                          I can't even put into words how this movie made me feel. Sorry, Dunkirk, but I've found my new favorite film of the year.

Please don't miss it. It's an incredible experience.

14K6,334
                          Contributor
                          14K6,334

Dec 25, 2017#913

^ lucky! I have to wait late February :(

Bachelor of Jenology

Dec 25, 2017#914

What do you think? Will females own 2018? :D

14K6,334
                              Contributor
                              14K6,334

Dec 25, 2017#915

It doesn’t look very good, hopefully it’s just a bad trailer.

23K5,923
                                Doctor of Jenology
                                23K5,923

Dec 27, 2017#916

I have a few more movies I want to see before making my best of 2017 list. I saw these ones recently:

mother!: It's by far the most messed up movie Aronofsky has ever made. It pretty much pushed all my buttons and made me uncomfortable in ways I haven't been watching a movie in a long time. It's impossible not to appreciate the pure craftsmanship of it. The performances are all fantastic. The cinematography is one of the best of the year. The choice not to use any music worked for it incredibly well. And I love how the humor in this movie is so subtle that it went over most people's heads. I honestly found it hilarious. All that said, I can absolutely see why a lot of people hated it. As much as I loved it, I can't fault people for finding it ridiculous and self-indulgent.

Paddington 2: Not as good as the first, but still adorable. I think it's really impressive how they managed to make this CG bear fit in so seamlessly with the live action surroundings. Hugh Grant in one of the most entertaining performances of the year.

The Party: Why is this a movie, and why is it on the big screen? Maybe it would've worked on stage, but as a film, it's really obnoxious to sit through, there's nothing cinematic about it, and the whole thing seems so rushed, like the huge chunk of it is missing. I really liked Patricia Clarkson in it, though.

Lady Bird: Really good script by Greta Gerwig, and a typically great performance by Saoirse Ronan, but I didn't find it as affecting as so many other people seem to have. I loved some of the editing choices, and I really appreciate how Greta Gerwig did her best not to make it look and feel like a TV movie, which with a different director could've easily happened (*cough*, The Big Sick). Don't think it'll make it on my list, but it's a real crowd pleaser, and I definitely recommend it.

Coco: It was really annoying how predictable and full of cliches this movie was. I feel like I've seen this storyline a million times already, and not just in an animated movie. That said, I really liked the characters, the music was nice, and it has a really touching (although predictable and kinda manipulative) ending. Also, it's by far the most beautifully animated Pixar movie ever. It's just so incredibly detailed and interesting to look it.

Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle: Generic and disposable, but it was just so much fun to watch The Rock and Jack Black play these characters. I probably won't remember it in like a week, but it was entertaining for what it was, I guess.

I, Tonya: Pretty much a masterclass in mixing different genres to a great effect. This is one of the most entertaining movies of the year. There is a lot of 4th wall breaking in it, which worked perfectly. I loved how self aware it was about its own soapiness. It's hilarious, at times horrifying, and by the end really tragic and heartbreaking. Somebody described it as Goodfellas of figure skating, and that's exactly what it is. Margot Robbie and Allison Janney are fantastic in it. There's a few things that bothered me, for example, there's a part of the movie where Margot and Sebastian Stan play teenagers which was ridiculous, and some of the editing and CGI during the skating scenes looked kinda shitty. Other than that, it's a lot of fun, and I can't wait to see it again.

Doctor of Jenology

Dec 27, 2017#917

Check out Call Me By Your Name!

What a great little film. I hope they receive Oscar noms.

23K5,923
                                    Doctor of Jenology
                                    23K5,923

Dec 27, 2017#918

2017 has honestly been A GIFT. Such an incredible year for movies.

I just watched Dunkirk again, and wow, what an absolute masterpiece.

Making this year's list will be so hard. I'll have to watch both Dunkirk and CMBYN one more time before I decide.

14K6,334
                                      Contributor
                                      14K6,334

Dec 28, 2017#919

Paddington 2 was so cute and Fun, not as great as the first one but pretty close.

I got dragged to Jumanji , loved the original but this looked stupid, well it wasn't great but I had a good time, it was pretty funny.

so many movies so little time, next should be Star Wars, The Florida Project, Girls Trip & Molly's Game

23K5,923
                                        Doctor of Jenology
                                        23K5,923

Dec 29, 2017#920

So excited for The Florida Project and Molly's Game. :woot

Intro to Jenology

Dec 30, 2017#921

Way of Dragon is 45 today , Lee vs Norris is one of the greatest fight scenes of all time , amazing !

Trivia :

-Lee's 3rd movie and last of his own he saw in the cinema (Enter was released post-death)

-Norris' debut movie

-Marco Pane played the icecream boy which Lee spooks in the movie , lol (he watched Lee film for 12 hrs , a memory he'll never forget!)

I met Whang Ing Sik in London , he played the japanese fighter whom Lee beats up in this movie :omg

Dec 31, 2017#922

Back when movie posters were true works of art , not the shitty photoshop stylee of today :bow

Jan 02, 2018#923

-

Bachelor of Jenology

Jan 02, 2018#924

Did anyone watch the movie Wonder? It's based off of the book, and while people like to say that the book is much better than the movie, I actually low-key loved the movie. I happened to want to watch it, because I read the book. It's about a boy named Auggie Pullman with facial defects. He's had numerous surgeries to fix it, and after years of homeschooling, he goes to public school for the first time. He also has a sister named Via. There wasn't that many differences, except that I believe that unlike the movie, the characters were of Brazillian descent or what not, but it was such a good movie and it was like the book. Of course the book goes into much more detail, it would take ages to make it exactly like the book. I won't go into too much detail, because you'll have to see for yourself to see how it is. Overall, I loved it all.

14K6,334
                                                  Contributor
                                                  14K6,334

Jan 05, 2018#925

^ i wasn't gonna see it but a few friends of mine loved it so I might if I have time.

Molly's Game, every-time I see a movie with Jessica Chastain I think no one could have played that character better than her and this is no exception, Molly's is so complex, vulnerable, smart, strong and she played it all perfectly I loved her even more in the scene where she's quiet her face fascinate me, the movie had none stop dialogues which could be a bore but Sorkins made it super entertaining it's well written, smart, quick and just pure fun and it was nice to see a movie about a beautiful, sensual woman that does not succeed because her femininity but only because she is smart and the best in her field.

Read more posts (2272 remaining)