Contributor
14K6,334

Sep 13, 2017#851

the new Alexander Payne :bow

23K5,923
    Doctor of Jenology
    23K5,923

Sep 14, 2017#852

^ A new Alexander Payne movie is always an event. Can't wait.

Also really excited for Lady Bird, written and directed by Greta Gerwig.

And it looks like James Franco might've finally made a good movie. It's about the infamous The Room.

:bewildered

I spent so much money on movies this year, I need to cool it a bit. lol I have to see mother! on the big screen, though.

Might do a megapost on a few movies I've seen lately. There's some really good ones.

14K6,334
      Contributor
      14K6,334

Sep 14, 2017#853

Greta Gerwig love her and Saoirse is one of my favorite young actress really looking forward to that.

I don't know about Lawrence in that role but that looks good.

23K5,923
        Doctor of Jenology
        23K5,923

Sep 14, 2017#854

^ That looks so pretty, almost like a perfume commercial, which is usually a bad thing, but for this one it seems like it will work.

I really think Francis Lawrence has yet to reach his full potential directing-wise. I loved Constantine and Water for Elephants (both are disgustingly underrated), and Catching Fire was by far the best in the HG series, but the studio interference and the decision to split Mockingjay into 2 parts really killed his vision, I think. Both those movies, while well directed, were a CHORE and a HALF to sit through.

He and Jen collaborated before and made some really great MVs, wouldn't kill him to cast her in something in the future.

14K6,334
          Contributor
          14K6,334

Sep 15, 2017#855

yes that's why it's important to keep good relationship with your directors, Jen must be one of the rare Soderbergh lead actress that he hasn't worked with a second time.
            I would love to see her in that type of badass role even tho now they're all doing it but would have been smarter than an other mediocre rom-com, even Jennifer Garner has an action movie coming up.

Doctor of Jenology

Sep 16, 2017#856

nixy1991 wrote:

OH MY GOD this is going to be horrible. :paperbag
              I believe he got major backlash for this movie. I just wanna see it to see how terrible it is. Just doesn't seem like an appropriate movie for using the backdrop that it did. Granted, fictional stories with a factual and historical backdrop have always been a thing and has worked, but this just looks so fuckin cheesy!

Sep 16, 2017#857

nixy1991 wrote:^ That looks so pretty, almost like a perfume commercial, which is usually a bad thing, but for this one it seems like it will work.

I really think Francis Lawrence has yet to reach his full potential directing-wise. I loved Constantine and Water for Elephants (both are disgustingly underrated), and Catching Fire was by far the best in the HG series, but the studio interference and the decision to split Mockingjay into 2 parts really killed his vision, I think. Both those movies, while well directed, were a CHORE and a HALF to sit through.

He and Jen collaborated before and made some really great MVs, wouldn't kill him to cast her in something in the future.
                I had no idea "Red Sparrow" was a Francis Lawrence directed movie. The cinematography looks amazing and even though it does look like a perfume commercial, it looks really enticing... I am looking forward to hearing what the reviews are like. I loved "Water for Elephants" and "Mockingjay". I really enjoyed the last two parts of the HG series, except at times it really felt like they were trying to hammer certain parts in. Ugh and the multiple endings in part 2 was "OH.... MY.... FUCKING.... GOSH... KILL ME NOW!!!!!!"

Francis so far is set up to be one of the best directors ever if studios would let him, unless he decides to go independent.

Sep 16, 2017#858

The Disaster Artist looks soooo good! I can't wait to see that!!! He really looks like he put his heart and soul into this one.

Sep 16, 2017#859

nixy1991 wrote:
                    I spent so much money on movies this year, I need to cool it a bit. lol I have to see mother! on the big screen, though.

Might do a mega post on a few movies I've seen lately. There's some really good ones.
                    I always allot myself a certain amount of money for movies a month because I go so often lol. Only except is this month and last month, didn't see as many cuz this is month and sometimes January are usually the shit-bowl months for movies.

Just seen "It" and I don't mean to sound like most other reviewers, but it was FANTASTIC!!!! Scary as hell and so much fun at the movies!!! It was like "The Sandlot" and "The Conjuring" mixed together. Weird combination but I'm sure you'll get it once you see it.

14K6,334
                    Contributor
                    14K6,334

Sep 17, 2017#860

^ really want to see it, even if the original traumatised me when I first saw it but I was probably around 8 years old.

In France we're lucky and I'm surprised they don't do that everywhere, we have a membership, its a pass 20€ a month and you can see as many movie as you want even 4 a day, I've had it for over 10 years now.

16K4,277
                      Contributor
                      16K4,277

Sep 17, 2017#861

Saw Aamir Khan's movie, Dangal. Liked it. No wonder that its in Imdb Top 100.
                        See it if you haven't already.

23K5,923
                        Doctor of Jenology
                        23K5,923

Sep 20, 2017#862

Megapost! Here's a few noteworthy movies I saw recently.

Beatriz at Dinner: A very interesting, darkly comedic character piece with a career-best performance from Salma Hayek. The movie completely falls apart in the last 15 or 20 minutes, but up until then, it's pretty great. This is the kind of low-budget movies Jennifer could be developing for herself with her production company, if they were willing to experiment with edgier material.

Megan Leavey: Cute and heartwarming, a perfect rainy Sunday afternoon kind of movie. Nothing more, nothing less.

Captain Underpants: The most energetic movie of the year, and by far the best animated movie of the year. The whole thing is basically just toilet humor, but it's done in such a clever, subversive way, I was laughing all the way through. Definitely check it out.

It Comes at Night: I appreciated it for the way it was directed, and the acting was amazing, but I can't say I loved it. Still, some of it is very impressive, and I feel like Trey Edward Shults has yet to reach his full potential.

The Big Sick: It's well-written, and Holly Hunter gives her best performance in forever, but there was honestly nothing exciting here filmmaking-wise. Just because the movie is a romantic comedy doesn't mean it should be directed like it belongs on television. A script this good could've been elevated even more by a stronger director.

The Hitman's Bodyguard: Another Salma Hayek movie, and she's the only good thing in it. Ryan and Samuel deliver performances we've seen from them countless times, it's painfully predictable, the action is shot in a very underwhelming Taken-like style, and the movie looks so blurry and ugly that it almost gave me a headache. The entire thing looks like they forgot to clean the camera lenses.

Dave Made a Maze: One of the most ambitious and inventive movies of the year. See it ASAP.

My Cousin Rachel: Beautiful cinematography, and Rachel Weisz is good as always, but it's so, so, so boring. It starts off strong, then screeches to a halt in the middle, and somewhat picks up the pace in the last half hour. By the time it finished I honestly could not care less about anything that was going on.

Baby Driver: Amazing, as expected. Nobody makes movies like Edgar Wright. The ending could've been better, and one of the characters' moments near the end felt off, but other than that, it's one of the best movies of the year and I can't wait to see it again.

The Book of Henry: It's like three shitty Lifetime movies in one; A shitty Lifetime movie about terminal illness, a shitty Lifetime movie about child molestation, and a shitty Lifetime movie about the struggle of being a single parent, that's also a romance, and a thriller. Avoid it like the plague.

A Ghost Story: Interstellar's micro-budget arthouse litter brother. The tagline is very appropriate: "It's all about time." Slow paced, but consistently captivating, this movie is such a thing of beauty. The cinematography is gorgeous, the acting is impeccable (I'm starting to get the hype for Rooney Mara) and the score is probably my favorite of the entire year. I've been thinking about it ever since I saw it.

Doctor of Jenology

Sep 22, 2017#863

daisylo wrote:the new Alexander Payne :bow

Didn't know Jessica Chastain has a new movie

It's always nice to watch her

Sep 22, 2017#864

You guys sure have time to watch Movies ;/

I finally watched the Batman Trilogy and I am IN LOVE :woot :love2

Bachelor of Jenology

Sep 22, 2017#865

emilin wrote:I finally watched the Batman Trilogy and I am IN LOVE :woot :love2
                                :lol:

Now you're ready for Inception & Interstellar both directed by Chris Nolan :twisted:

Doctor of Jenology

Oct 01, 2017#866

emilin wrote:
                                  daisylo wrote:
                                  Didn't know Jessica Chastain has a new movie

It's always nice to watch her
                                  Loooooove Jessica Chastain. My favorite role from her is when she was in Zero Dark Thirty.

22K4,125
                                  Doctor of Jenology
                                  22K4,125

Oct 01, 2017#867

I just came back from IT, it was an amazing movie! Really didn't expect it to be like that. It was even better and scarier than the 1st one.

Intro to Jenology

Oct 03, 2017#868

Just watched this and loved it :)

Can you recommend something like this to me? I also love Fifty shades, drama and sex :D

14K6,334
                                      Contributor
                                      14K6,334

Oct 05, 2017#869

looks intriguing

Doctor of Jenology

Oct 12, 2017#870

lucinda wrote:
                                          emilin wrote:I finally watched the Batman Trilogy and I am IN LOVE :woot :love2
                                          :lol:

Now you're ready for Inception & Interstellar both directed by Chris Nolan :twisted:
                                          Since release, it is my favorite movie of all times, watched a hundred of times I guess lol
                                          I'm about to watch Inception but I havent's got the time. ;)

Oct 12, 2017#871

Saw Blade Runner 2049 and I though it was slow and loooong LOL, but great visuals, I should have watched the original one but it was a good movie.

Saw Mother! today and it was just %)
                                            At the movies I was like, What the hell is going on in here :lol:
                                            But it all makes sence after reading what the movie is really about ;)

14K6,334
                                            Contributor
                                            14K6,334

Oct 12, 2017#872

Loved Blade Runner 2049 not as good as the first one which is one of my all time favorite I expected a more complex story but I didn’t find the movie slow at all the 2h45 went fast for me, the visual were exceptional that’s a movie you Have to see in a theater.

23K5,923
                                              Doctor of Jenology
                                              23K5,923

Oct 12, 2017#873

Blade Runner 2049 was really fantastic. It took me by surprise how much I liked it, considering I had no expectations going in. It improves on the original in pretty much every way, and I feel like it's definitely important to watch the first Blade Runner before you go into this one. From what I can tell, the people who found it slow are usually the ones who aren't familiar with the original. I thought it was excellently paced (Denis Villeneuve's movies usually are) and far more action-packed than the original. The story itself isn't anything groundbreaking, it's actually very predictable, and some of it is really corny and contrived, but the film's presentation makes up for all that entirely. It's quite an experience, and probably my favorite Villeneuve movie so far. It's a shame that big-budget movies this great, ambitious and well-realized struggle at the box office, while boring, generic ones like IT become huge global smashes.

20K7,749
                                                Doctor of Jenology
                                                20K7,749

Oct 14, 2017#874

I saw Blade Runner too and it was great, but a bit too long for me too lol

14K6,334
                                                  Contributor
                                                  14K6,334

Oct 17, 2017#875

Kingsman the golden circle I enjoyed it almost as much as the first one, the actions is so over the top yiu can't get bored watching it and Julianne Moore was great as the baddie.

Gifted Liked it more than I expected, the story has been done a thousand times but this one felt more sincere and it mixed the moving and funny moments well, also loved the young actress .

Barry Seal Disappointed by this one I absolutely loved the trailer but expect a couple of good scenes it felt flat.

Read more posts (2322 remaining)