14K6,346
Contributor
14K6,346

Jun 23, 2017#801

nixy1991 wrote:Daisy, you should watch Colossal, it's fantastic.
    I was waiting to see it in theater but it was released everywhere except France which is pretty weird, I'll try to find it online.

Intro to Jenology

Jul 07, 2017#802

50 yrs ago : 007 YOLT , first Bond I ever saw......volcano set is amazing

40 yrs ago : 007 TSWLM , this was Moores favorite of the 7 he did....sadly only Bach is left of the main cast :(

30 yrs ago : 007 TLD , Dalton becomes Bond after 12 yrs of Moore

Doctor of Jenology

Jul 09, 2017#803

Spider-Man Homecoming was FANTASTIC!!! I freakin' loved it!

Baby Driver was such a good time!!! I seriously loved the fuck out of this movie!!!

So far Wonder Woman, Spider-Man Homecoming and Baby Driver the top 3 movies of my summer so far!

Still got Dunkirk, War for the Planet of the Apes, and Atomic Blonde to see... Oh and I've heard "The Big Sick" was pretty awesome too so I wanna see that.

Then comes the Oscar buzz films starting with "Detroit", that looks seriously intense and amazing. It's directed by Katherine Bigelow, who directed the AMAZING "Zero Dark Thirty"... Good year for movies!

14K6,346
        Contributor
        14K6,346

Jul 10, 2017#804

^ Can't wait for Baby Driver, have to wait next week.

23K5,924
          Doctor of Jenology
          23K5,924

Jul 10, 2017#805

I agree, 2017 has been a pretty good year for movies. Some thoughts on the ones I saw recently:

Okja: As genre-bending as his previous work, but it's probably Bong Joon Ho's movie I connected with most. It has four very distinct acts and genres (family, action, horror, drama) without them feeling all over the place, and the last part of the movie really affected me. Beautiful stuff. Also, I loved Jake Gyllenhaal's performance, so broad, yet so entertaining. Definitely an acquired taste, though, so if you decide to watch it (and you should), be prepared for it. It's a weird one.

The Zookeeper's Wife: Classy but generic with another incredible performance by Jessica Chastain. Worth seeing just for her.

The Circle: There's nothing more depressing than when a filmmaker you admire makes a shitty movie. I don't know what the hell happened, but it felt as though I was watching a spirit of a talentless, amateur director possess Ponsoldt. There's got to be a story behind this, because I refuse to believe somebody as talented as this man made a movie as horrible as this. Also, there's a scene in this movie that is probably the worst acted scene I've seen in a big Hollywood movie in forever. I swear, it was worse than the stuff in Kidnap. James, redeem yourself ASAP, this is NOT good.

Spider-Man: Homecoming: Decent, but I didn't feel like there was anything special about this movie. I liked how it referenced older teen movies, it was a fun experience, and Tom is by far the best on-screen Spider-Man, but I don't see myself watching, remembering, or discussing this movie 2 months from now. Forgettable fluff.

Lady Macbeth: Nobody is topping Florence Pugh's performance in this movie this year. It's about as pitch-perfect of a performance I've ever seen. The movie is a 19th century story of love and murder, and that's all I'll say, because I want everybody who reads this to experience what I did. It's PURE cinema, it's a disturbing piece of work, and it's BY FAR my favorite movie of the year. It's only 89 minutes, too, but its impact is HUGE.

Seeing Dunkirk on the 20th and praying it'll be good.

Baby Driver doesn't open here until next month, which SUCKS, because I'm a massive EW fan. Ugh.

Jul 10, 2017#806

daisylo wrote:^ Can't wait for Baby Driver, have to wait next week.

lol at "return to form", as if Nolan ever lost form. The man has literally NEVER made a bad movie.

14K6,346
              Contributor
              14K6,346

Jul 10, 2017#807

^ seem like a bunch of people didn't like Interstellar (for some weird reasons)

Jul 11, 2017#808

Well..

23K5,924
                  Doctor of Jenology
                  23K5,924

Jul 11, 2017#809

Doctor of Jenology

Jul 14, 2017#810

If Interstellar was a "bad" movie for Nolan, then that shows how good of a director he is. I didn't enjoy it as much I did his other films, but I would not call it a bad movie. I feel like there were some decisions he made in the script that didn't make sense to me and didn't work for me, but there were many things about it that I really enjoyed. Wasn't a straight up bad movie for me personally.
                      nixy1991 wrote: Spider-Man: Homecoming: Decent, but I didn't feel like there was anything special about this movie. I liked how it referenced older teen movies, it was a fun experience, and Tom is by far the best on-screen Spider-Man, but I don't see myself watching, remembering, or discussing this movie 2 months from now. Forgettable fluff.
                      Really?? OMG, I did not consider this fluff at all, but I guess that has to do with each one's taste I suppose. I think this was by far the best Spider-Man movie ever, and definitely agree with you about Tom being the best Spider-Man on screen ever. But every thing about it worked me, from all the homages to old classic 80's and early 90's coming of age movies, to Michael Keaton's villain in Vulture, the dude was bad ass. And it wasn't your typical origin story, they didn't do the whole Uncle Ben thing, we didn't see him get bit by a spider, it was a completely different take on Spider-Man and it was so purely refreshing for me.

23K5,924
                      Doctor of Jenology
                      23K5,924

Jul 14, 2017#811

FeelinSoGood2002 wrote:Really?? OMG, I did not consider this fluff at all, but I guess that has to do with each one's taste I suppose. I think this was by far the best Spider-Man movie ever, and definitely agree with you about Tom being the best Spider-Man on screen ever. But every thing about it worked me, from all the homages to old classic 80's and early 90's coming of age movies, to Michael Keaton's villain in Vulture, the dude was bad ass. And it wasn't your typical origin story, they didn't do the whole Uncle Ben thing, we didn't see him get bit by a spider, it was a completely different take on Spider-Man and it was so purely refreshing for me.
                        I actually liked it, it was a lot of fun, I just didn't feel there was anything special about it. It felt really generic. I liked it a lot more than Guardians 2, though. Glad you loved it, though. Ragnarok is the only Marvel movie I've ever been genuinely excited for, and I can't wait to see what Taika did with it.

Jul 15, 2017#812

Daisy, your boyfriend made a new movie.

And I got my tickets for Dunkirk on the 19th! I'm flipping out! :woot

14K6,346
                          Contributor
                          14K6,346

Jul 16, 2017#813

^ Chris :love2 lol that looks interesting !!

Dunkirk & Baby driver next week finally !!!

23K5,924
                            Doctor of Jenology
                            23K5,924

Jul 17, 2017#814

http://www.metacritic.com/movie/dunkirk/critic-reviews
                              https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/dunkirk_2017/

THE KING HAS RETURNED.

(Still keeping my expectations in check BTW, a lot of people hated Interstellar, and that's like one of my all time faves. Critics seem to respond to movies a lot differently than I do.)

Bachelor of Jenology

Jul 18, 2017#815

nixy1991 wrote:http://www.metacritic.com/movie/dunkirk/critic-reviews
                                https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/dunkirk_2017/

THE KING HAS RETURNED.

(Still keeping my expectations in check BTW, a lot of people hated Interstellar, and that's like one of my all time faves. Critics seem to respond to movies a lot differently than I do.)
                                9,6 on IMDb http://www.imdb.com/title/tt5013056/
                                but how they rated the movie if it comes in 3 days?

23K5,924
                                Doctor of Jenology
                                23K5,924

Jul 19, 2017#816

So, Dunkirk...

Wow. I can't fully talk about it without seeing it a second time, but let me just tell you, this movie affected me in a way no Nolan film ever did before. From a technical standpoint, it's all perfectly put together, the cinematography and sound design are phenomenal, (I'll be surprised if it doesn't sweep all the technical categories at next year's Oscars) but what I was mostly struck by was Nolan's directing and his unparalleled narrative skill. You have to be some sort of a genius miracle worker to tackle this subject in this way. I don't want to say too much in case you haven't read the reviews and don't know the structure of the film. (I have, got spoiled, and will regret it forever.)

The most impressive thing about this film is that Nolan somehow managed to make you, the audience member a character in it. At least that's how I experienced it. I felt like I was there, under gunfire, surrounded, drowning, flying, etc... It's just so brutally immersive. And the characters you meet along the way reveal their personalities through their actions, not what they tell us they are and how we should feel about them. It's a great way to portray and get attached to characters, and it's unlike anything I've seen - especially in this genre. And trust me, there was a time I went through my war movies phase, I've seen them all.

It's incredible to me that any filmmaker would get this much freedom to create something, which is essentially, a $150M arthouse film. People said the same thing about other Nolan movies, but here, he is at his MOST free and experimental. You'll know what I'm talking about when you see it. Imagine Fury Road, The Thin Red Line and Memento in a menage a trois. I actually wouldn't be surprised if general audiences hated this movie, because they're not used to being hit with this kind of structure, and because the way characters are portrayed is so unconventional, the point of why it is that way will fly over their heads. But if he trusts his audience enough to present something like this to them, then so should I, I guess.

It's a brutal experience, through and through, and I loved pretty much every second of it. There is some typical Nolan schmaltz I've come to expect, and the editing during the very last scene felt really off to me, but other than that - Wow.

14K6,346
                                  Contributor
                                  14K6,346

Jul 20, 2017#817

^ I can't wait might go tomorrow.

Saw Baby Driver last night, it was a lot of fun, the story isn't particularly original but the use of music make all the difference and it actually feel like you're watching something completely different and new it's also beautifully filmed the car chases are just amazing, the humor, the dialogues, the action all great, loved Ansel Elgort here never was particularly a fan before and he had great chemistry with Lily James the rest of the cast was great too. Perfect summer movie ! I need to get that soundtrack.

Jul 21, 2017#818

that looks like mix of Ayer's End of Watch & Suicide Squad, I'm intrigued.

23K5,924
                                      Doctor of Jenology
                                      23K5,924

Jul 21, 2017#819

Nice to hear you liked Baby Driver, it's not opening here for another month or so, it's really annoying. Edgar Wright is one of the directors whose films I HAVE to watch on the big screen.

That new Ayer movie could go either way, I guess. It does look interesting.

Jul 22, 2017#820

OH MY GOD this is going to be horrible. :paperbag

Bachelor of Jenology

Jul 22, 2017#821

23K5,924
                                            Doctor of Jenology
                                            23K5,924

Jul 22, 2017#822

Bachelor of Jenology

Jul 22, 2017#823

oh sorry :D

I hope this is:

23K5,924
                                                Doctor of Jenology
                                                23K5,924

Jul 22, 2017#824

Ugh this just looks so visually unappealing to me . :(

Jul 23, 2017#825

:jenclap2

Read more posts (2372 remaining)