23K5,924
Doctor of Jenology
23K5,924

Dec 14, 2016#601

OMG :lol So that's what the movie is about. Now I can't wait to see it.

14K6,346
    Contributor
    14K6,346

Dec 14, 2016#602

It's pretty surreal that this is the story I can't wait to watch it too but won't pay for it.

23K5,924
      Doctor of Jenology
      23K5,924

Dec 15, 2016#603

14K6,346
        Contributor
        14K6,346

Dec 15, 2016#604

And they both got $20M each, if it flops..

23K5,924
          Doctor of Jenology
          23K5,924

Dec 19, 2016#605

I went to see Rogue One yesterday. It was alright, I guess. It has by far the best action sequences of any Star Wars movie, and the final 30-40 minutes are incredible. Some really mindblowing stuff, and some of the most impressive CGI work of the year. The characters, though, are boring, one dimensional cardboard cutouts. I didn't care for any of them, not even Felicity Jones, who's basically the only one with an actual backstory. Even the robot's sarcastic, quippy attitude felt forced. And because the characters are so uninteresting, getting to that big final act was a bit of a drag. It's a shame, because if they polished the script a bit more, this could've been one of the best in the franchise. This way, it's just kind of in between the awfulness of the prequels and the greatness of the original trilogy + The Force Awakens. That said, I'll definitely re-watch it eventually, for the action alone.

Doctor of Jenology

Dec 19, 2016#606

I seen two movies this past week....

Rogue One was awesome in my opinion! Despite of a couple flaws like the lack of the Star Wars theme which was extremely jarring, and lack of an opening crawl which should have been added .... it is a Star Wars movie afterall! An awesome prequel which is by no means in reference to the historically bad 'prequels' filmed by George Lucas. I think this was way better than 'The Force Awakens' and I really enjoyed that one, but the highlight from that movie was the characters more than the story because it is basically 'A New Hope' retold again but not as good. In 'Rogue One' the highlight is the story and that's because the characters serve the story more than anything and the movie literally ends within a few minutes of when 'A New Hope' begins. All I wanted to do is go home and pop in 'A New Hope' to continue the story... a perfect fit for the Star Wars saga. The best Star Wars movie since the original trilogy!

'La La Land' was terrific!!! This one I was looking forward to more than any other movie this year as soon as I saw the trailers for it earlier this year, and it had a lot to live up to because my imagination ran wild of all the possibilities this movie could be after watching those trailers. Then after learning that this was directed by Damien Chizelle, director of 'Whiplash', I thought this could be a hit or miss because it is only his second film and not too many new directors can hit it out of the park on their second try, shit, not many can do it on their first like he did, but he certainly did, and he did it again!!! Ugh, I have to admit I am partial to musicals, but I don't love all of them, even some of the classics I don't particularly adore like most people, but I am a huge fan of the genre. There haven't been too many good ones as of recently 'Moulin Rogue', 'Chicago', and 'Hairspray' have probably been the only good/decent ones in recent memory out of the bunch, but 'La La Land' zooms past those and becomes what will probably be one of my favorite musicals of all time, definitely my favorite movie of 2016 so far... (I still have to check out 'Moonlight', 'Manchester by the Sea', 'Fences', and a couple more movies from this year. I loved everything about this film, the casting was spot on, it's as if the roles were written for these two... Emma Stone is brilliant! Her acting during an audition in the movie is even spectacular, which made the scene even more heartbreaking when some idiot walks into her audition to relay a message to the casting crew, which brings to light of excruciatingly painful and difficult the process of auditioning and making it big in Hollywood can be. The chemistry between Gosling and Stone is effortless, just breathlessly effortless. The musical numbers don't even take you out of the movie, first of all because the movie begins on traffic ridden freeway with a huge musical number that's done in ONE TAKE!!! ONE BIG FREAKIN' TRACKING SHOT!!!! In fact a lot of the musical numbers here are done in one take which is so refreshing to see because a lot of modern day musicals with big dance numbers are all cut and paste here and there. My theater erupted into applause after that first number it was done so well. Another reason why the music doesn't take you out is because the music advances and serves the story. Speaking about the music, Ryan and Emma aren't the best singers but they don't have to belt the songs out like Whitney in 'The Bodyguard' or Hugh Jackman in Les Miz, their singing works and the songs sound great. One of the reasons why this movie works so much for me is because it takes what was so great about the musicals of the past during the 50s and 60s and brings into present day and makes no apologies for it while at the same time telling a story that is grounded and so real life that it breaks your heart. I cannot wait till this movie comes out on bluray because I am probably going to wear it out from watching it so much. As you can see I am gushing about this movie and I'd love to meet other people who have seen it because I couldn't find anyone to go with me to experience this movie, but I could talk about this movie a lot more!!! GO SEE 'LA LA LAND'..... even if you're not a fan of musicals, there have been a lot of people who have reviewed this movie and their opening statements always start within 'I'm not a fan of musicals, BUT I LOVE THIS MOVIE'.... GO SEE IT NOW!!!!!!!!!

23K5,924
              Doctor of Jenology
              23K5,924

Dec 19, 2016#607

Thanks for your reviews! La La Land is my most anticipated for the rest of the year, hope it lives up to the hype.

Doctor of Jenology

Dec 19, 2016#608

nixy1991 wrote:Thanks for your reviews! La La Land is my most anticipated for the rest of the year, hope it lives up to the hype.
                  Man I was worried about it not living up to the hype, because almost every critic has been calling it a masterpiece. But it met my expectations and then some, I think you're in for a treat!

14K6,346
                  Contributor
                  14K6,346

Dec 19, 2016#609

^ can't wait for LaLa Land

Excited for this I hope they did a great job, Blade Runner is one of my favorite movie.

Doctor of Jenology

Dec 19, 2016#610

daisylo wrote:^ can't wait for LaLa Land

Excited for this I hope they did a great job, Blade Runner is one of my favorite movie.

Wow that was a pretty awesome teaser trailer. I love Denis as a director. 'Arrival' was one of my top favorites of the year as well.

Intro to Jenology

Dec 21, 2016#611

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... t-AINEJhBo

Check out my new stuff , some amazing things : 007 , Batman '66 , Wang Yu , Bruce Lee.....some even signed.

23K5,924
                        Doctor of Jenology
                        23K5,924

Dec 22, 2016#612

Doctor of Jenology

Dec 22, 2016#613

That's awful... I'm a little sad over this because he has proved himself to be a fantastic director with his past 3 or 4 films. But everyone has their hiccups. I still have high hopes for his Batman movie. He just needs to be focused!

23K5,924
                            Doctor of Jenology
                            23K5,924

Dec 25, 2016#614

Oh :popcorn

Prometheus is underrated, BTW.

14K6,346
                              Contributor
                              14K6,346

Dec 27, 2016#615

Loved Prometheus this one looks even creepier can't wait.

Bachelor of Jenology

Jan 09, 2017#616

23K5,924
                                  Doctor of Jenology
                                  23K5,924

Jan 09, 2017#617

^ She can't sing.

The Globes were predictable but I'm fine with the winners.

I'm so happy Huppert won. Imagine if they actually give her the Oscar. :love

Jan 13, 2017#618

Okay, I guess?

BTW, I have 3 or 4 movies left to see and a few to re-watch before I can put together of 2016 list.

Bachelor of Jenology

Jan 13, 2017#619

FeelinSoGood2002 wrote: 'La La Land' was terrific!!! This one I was looking forward to more than any other movie this year as soon as I saw the trailers for it earlier this year, and it had a lot to live up to because my imagination ran wild of all the possibilities this movie could be after watching those trailers. Then after learning that this was directed by Damien Chizelle, director of 'Whiplash', I thought this could be a hit or miss because it is only his second film and not too many new directors can hit it out of the park on their second try, shit, not many can do it on their first like he did, but he certainly did, and he did it again!!! Ugh, I have to admit I am partial to musicals, but I don't love all of them, even some of the classics I don't particularly adore like most people, but I am a huge fan of the genre. There haven't been too many good ones as of recently 'Moulin Rogue', 'Chicago', and 'Hairspray' have probably been the only good/decent ones in recent memory out of the bunch, but 'La La Land' zooms past those and becomes what will probably be one of my favorite musicals of all time, definitely my favorite movie of 2016 so far... (I still have to check out 'Moonlight', 'Manchester by the Sea', 'Fences', and a couple more movies from this year. I loved everything about this film, the casting was spot on, it's as if the roles were written for these two... Emma Stone is brilliant! Her acting during an audition in the movie is even spectacular, which made the scene even more heartbreaking when some idiot walks into her audition to relay a message to the casting crew, which brings to light of excruciatingly painful and difficult the process of auditioning and making it big in Hollywood can be. The chemistry between Gosling and Stone is effortless, just breathlessly effortless. The musical numbers don't even take you out of the movie, first of all because the movie begins on traffic ridden freeway with a huge musical number that's done in ONE TAKE!!! ONE BIG FREAKIN' TRACKING SHOT!!!! In fact a lot of the musical numbers here are done in one take which is so refreshing to see because a lot of modern day musicals with big dance numbers are all cut and paste here and there. My theater erupted into applause after that first number it was done so well. Another reason why the music doesn't take you out is because the music advances and serves the story. Speaking about the music, Ryan and Emma aren't the best singers but they don't have to belt the songs out like Whitney in 'The Bodyguard' or Hugh Jackman in Les Miz, their singing works and the songs sound great. One of the reasons why this movie works so much for me is because it takes what was so great about the musicals of the past during the 50s and 60s and brings into present day and makes no apologies for it while at the same time telling a story that is grounded and so real life that it breaks your heart. I cannot wait till this movie comes out on bluray because I am probably going to wear it out from watching it so much. As you can see I am gushing about this movie and I'd love to meet other people who have seen it because I couldn't find anyone to go with me to experience this movie, but I could talk about this movie a lot more!!! GO SEE 'LA LA LAND'..... even if you're not a fan of musicals, there have been a lot of people who have reviewed this movie and their opening statements always start within 'I'm not a fan of musicals, BUT I LOVE THIS MOVIE'.... GO SEE IT NOW!!!!!!!!!
                                        I watched it the other day and I was so excited for it after I saw your post here.
                                        I must say I completely share your excitement because the movie is insanely good, I love everything about it, the plot, actors, production, dialouge... Well maybe not everything, I got teary because of its ending. Maybe it'd be cheesy if it ended the other way but I wouldn't mind. I don't follow Emma's work too much but she is great in this movie, very suggestive. I also wasn't a big fan of Ryan Gosling but he really proved himself. He's crazy talented and their scenes seemed really effortless.
                                        I really loved it, it easily became one of my favorite movies and deserves every praise it gets.
                                        I wish my life was like that :smile:

23K5,924
                                        Doctor of Jenology
                                        23K5,924

Jan 15, 2017#620

La La Land is one of the best movies of the decade, and the best movie of 2016 by a looong mile. Damien Chazelle really is the most talented young filmmaker in the business. I agree with pretty much everything above said, but I have to say that the ending of this movie and that whole sequence is one of the most perfect, beautiful endings I've seen to any movie, ever. I love this movie to death, and if it wins every single Oscar it gets nominated for, it more than deserves it.

14K2,614
                                          Doctor of Jenology
                                          14K2,614

Jan 15, 2017#621

I hope Jennifer Works one day with Damien Chazelle !!!

23K5,924
                                            Doctor of Jenology
                                            23K5,924

Jan 18, 2017#622

Been waiting for this one. It's from the director of the AMAZING The One I Love, and it's a "love story set one year after the existence of the afterlife is scientifically verified." Such an original premise, hope it's good.

BTW, Netflix is killing it, I hope Jennifer does something with them eventually.

14K6,346
                                              Contributor
                                              14K6,346

Jan 18, 2017#623

nixy1991 wrote:
                                                Been waiting for this one. It's from the director of the AMAZING The One I Love, and it's a "love story set one year after the existence of the afterlife is scientifically verified." Such an original premise, hope it's good.

BTW, Netflix is killing it, I hope Jennifer does something with them eventually.
                                                So "The One I Love" is good? saw it was on Netflix but didn't watch it yet and yeah she should do a movie with them.

23K5,924
                                                Doctor of Jenology
                                                23K5,924

Jan 18, 2017#624

daisylo wrote:So "The One I Love" is good? saw it was on Netflix but didn't watch it yet and yeah she should do a movie with them.
                                                  It's so good, one of my favorite films of 2014. I don't know how much you know about it, but if you're not familiar with the premise, avoid all trailers and stuff like that. I went into it blind, and I loved it. Definitely check it out.

14K6,346
                                                  Contributor
                                                  14K6,346

Jan 18, 2017#625

nixy1991 wrote: It's so good, one of my favorite films of 2014. I don't know how much you know about it, but if you're not familiar with the premise, avoid all trailers and stuff like that. I went into it blind, and I loved it. Definitely check it out.

I don't know anything about it, I'll try to watch it this week.

Read more posts (2572 remaining)