'Mrs. Doubtfire' Sequel in the Works

'Mrs. Doubtfire' Sequel in the Works

46K3,676
Admin
46K3,676

Apr 17, 2014#1

Fox 2000 is ready to have more hot flashes.

The studio is developing a sequel to the 1993 hit Mrs. Doubtfire, which would reunite director Chris Columbus and star Robin Williams.

David Berenbaum, who wrote Elf, is writing the script.

Doubtfire starred Williams as a struggling actor and recently divorced father of three who, in order to be closer to his children, takes on the persona of a Scottish nanny, Euphegenia Doubtfire.

Hilarity, misunderstandings and family love ensued to the tune of $219 million domestically and $222 million internationally. Williams won a Golden Globe in the best actor in a musical/comedy category while the movie won the Globe for best comedy/musical.

A sequel has been in the works since 2001 when Bonnie Hunt was tapped to write a script, but despite many drafts and other scribes hired, the project slowly died and has been inactive for years, mainly due to Columbus and Williams not sparking to any new take.

The project became active again early this year with Berenbaum’s involvement and while it’s too soon to predict if all the elements will ultimately come together, Williams and Columbus are attached and hopeful about the outcome.

Elizabeth Gabler and Marisa Paiva are overseeing for Fox 2000.

In addition to penning Elf, the Will Ferrell Christmas comedy that is now a perennial classic, Berenbaum has worked on family films such as Haunted Mansion and The Spiderwick Chronicles.

Columbus is in preproduction on his latest movie, Pixels, the sci-fi adventure movie that will star Adam Sandler and shoot in Toronto this summer.

Williams has Lionsgate’s drama The Angriest Man in Brooklyn opening May 23 and is the star of CBS’ The Crazy Ones.

Columbus, Williams and Berenbaum are all repped by WME.

Columbus is additionally repped by Hansen Jacobson, Williams by MBST Entertainment and Berenbaum by Kaplan/Perrone Entertainment and Rosen Feig.

:woot :woot :woot

Master of Jenology

Apr 17, 2014#2

you always beat me to everything. why? lol ... I am excited

23K5,924
      Doctor of Jenology
      23K5,924

Apr 17, 2014#3

Is this really necessary?

46K3,676
        Admin
        46K3,676

Apr 17, 2014#4

No, but the original is hysterical, so if they can make it work, I'd love a sequel.

Contributor

Apr 17, 2014#5

I'd be here for this !

20K2,688
            Admin
            20K2,688

Apr 17, 2014#6

I recently filled out one of those Buzzfeeds "How many bad movies have you seen?" survey and there were a lot of Robin Williams films. lol (Gigli was there as well :paperbag )

As a child I remember loving this movie but now realizing how many shit movies Williams has done I'm a little nervous about a sequel. Then again, the nostalgic part of me doesn't care and wants to see Mrs. Doubtfire twerking to Beyonce.