Bachelor of Jenology

Jun 23, 2017#151

Mille Backer wrote:Which JLo's movies were #1?
    Jack
    Anaconda
    ANTZ
    The Cell
    The Wedding Planner
    Maid in Manhattan
    Monster
    Ice Age: Continental Drift
    Home

23K5,924
    Doctor of Jenology
    23K5,924

Jun 23, 2017#152

I'm not upset that she's doing a romantic comedy. A few good ones come along every year that manage to be funny and subversive. Sleeping With Other People and Ruby Sparks come to mind. It's that the plot and crew they put together don't inspire a lot of confidence. I know what kind of director Peter Segal is, and pretty much every one of his movies have bored me to death by how generic they are. I liked Get Smart, but even that one was instantly forgettable. Justin Zackham wrote The Big Wedding, which I hated with a passion.

I get how hard it is to develop and make movies, especially for someone like Jennifer, but it's incredibly depressing that this is the best her production company can do, and she wants to do. Couldn't they instead, I don't know, option an interesting book and get a better creative team to develop it for her? Reese Witherspoon does it all the time, which resulted in some really great films. Can Jennifer really afford to be away from the big screen for so long and come back with something like this?

I don't understand why she doesn't take chances as an actress anymore. The Cell is one of the greatest films ever made (don't @ me, non-debatable), it's pure cinema, so why is she settling for stuff like this? I get that this movie will probably make money. But she can't treat her film career as some big business venture and then demand to be taken seriously. Sorry if I'm coming off as an asshole. Trust me, nobody wants more than me for this movie to be great, and of course I'll give it a fair chance like I do every other movie. It's just that I know that she can, and deserves to do better than this.

16K4,305
      Contributor
      16K4,305

Jun 23, 2017#153

As a huge JLo fan for more than 15 years, even I do not consider her as a serious actress. Sorry.
        I think its just another business opportunity for her to make more money. Yes, she had few good movies, but i guess she only got lucky. Even Jen said she's making rom-coms because they are "easy to film"

She has been away from big screen for a looooooong time and now she'll be back with another rom-com (she has way too many of them) and with bad director and script writer. How can she expect anyone to consider her as a serious actress?

Doctor of Jenology

Jun 23, 2017#154

I'll agree with Nixy.. she CAN be considered as a good actress, because she IS a good actress... but with movies likes this one, it looks like she's doing it for the money only, and she'll never be considered as a good actress with, in general, bad (she had some good ones) movies.

Intro to Jenology

Jun 23, 2017#155

Shes a great actress...but yes you have to prove prove and prove yourself in the industry. You cant keep doing the same movies over and over. I feel like since Bye Bye birdie was cancelled she ahd free time and she just took this up.

23K5,924
            Doctor of Jenology
            23K5,924

Jun 23, 2017#156

mEm wrote:As a huge JLo fan for more than 15 years, even I do not consider her as a serious actress. Sorry.
              I think its just another business opportunity for her to make more money. Yes, she had few good movies, but i guess she only got lucky. Even Jen said she's making rom-coms because they are "easy to film"

She has been away from big screen for a looooooong time and now she'll be back with another rom-com (she has way too many of them) and with bad director and script writer. How can she expect anyone to consider her as a serious actress?
              I wanted to shake her after reading this comment. It's so bizarre, because first she says she likes rom-coms because they're easy, and then she says she likes to be challenged as an actress. Well which one is it? She will not be challenged as an actress in a Peter Segal movie, I can tell you that much.

46K3,605
              Admin
              46K3,605

Jun 23, 2017#157

nixy1991 wrote:
                mEm wrote:As a huge JLo fan for more than 15 years, even I do not consider her as a serious actress. Sorry.

I wanted to shake her after reading this comment. It's so bizarre, because first she says she likes rom-coms because they're easy, and then she says she likes to be challenged as an actress. Well which one is it? She will not be challenged as an actress in a Peter Segal movie, I can tell you that much.
                Can't she want to do roles for the fun of it and also want to do roles that will challenge her? It's her favorite genre to work on and she's talked about how heavy Shades is for her. Just like any other person, maybe she had a really hard day or week on the set and that's why she quipped that she likes rom coms because they're easy. Or if she had a great week and felt really inspired, then she loves the challenge of a heavy role. She's a human being like us, guys, LOL.

I think strategically, it's smart to make a movie that is an easier sell box-office-wise. She's covering all her bases as far as genres and box office success is also key to creating her projects. She's so busy that she needs productions to work around her schedule entirely and that's probably incredibly difficult when you think about everything else that goes into it.

The whole second act thing is something she feels very strongly about. I think if they do it right, it could have a good social message.

Contributor

Jun 23, 2017#158

Trust me, I support Jen in everything she does. Music, fashion, shows, businesses, etc...

But film and television are very close to my heart and I know Jen is a great actress. I just want to see her getting critically acclaimed. I think I'll like this movie, it'll be fun and cute. I just wanna see her get 60+ on Rotten tomatoes. :lmao

Contributor

Jun 23, 2017#159

The meltdowns. Ironically, the movie stans have also said the same about her music career, yet have learned to deal with what she dishes out.

Well, time to smell the Goya beans buttercups. Jennifer Lopez will never be considered a great actress along the likes of Meryl Streep, Katherine Hepburn, or even Kate Winslet. She's good, but she's not great (something she's admitted herself). She does extremely well when directed properly.

I honestly think she's just OK with her position. Jennifer is a hustler, a go getter, with a N.Y. state of mind. I think her goal after becoming a singer was just to work on expanding her empire and make millions of money off her image because it's brought her much success, and it has worked for her all these years. I don't think Jennifer is the kind of artist who cares about her artistry or even her craft (not since 2000 anyway). She just doesn't care to evolve or push herself. She's become comfortable. She's realized that what makes her iconic and successful is her image and her brand, and it makes her and her team millions of dollars every year. It's the classic "rags to riches" story of a young Puerto Rican girl from the Bronx who strived to become a successful entertainer, and conquer every aspect of the entertainment business to further showcase her capabilities and her power, to set her apart from everyone else.

It's sad to say it in that way, but it is the truth. Yes, Jennifer Lopez is indeed in a league of her own, but her schtick is being an entertainer, and getting her next coin. How she can capitalize on the success and popularity of said projects to further grow her empire, and keep her career and name on high demand is literally her thing. It's something that as fans we just have to learn to digest. She isn't going to change, especially not at 48 years old.

#ChurchDismissed

Intro to Jenology

Jun 23, 2017#160

I don't think it's fair to say she does anything just for the money anymore. She's already made more money than she could ever possibly spend. Plus between her endorsements, Vegas and producing she's got a very healthy annual income. SOB, WOD, Griselda, BBB, and the Spanish album are all passion projects. This film will obviously be very commercial, but the concept sounds strongly connected to her roots and like something that could easily be meaningful to her and hopefully her fan base.

20K7,821
                      Doctor of Jenology
                      20K7,821

Jun 23, 2017#161

I dk if this was posted, but Elaine's comment about the movie.

“It’s about reinvention at a time when everyone is getting marginalized and downsized,” said Goldsmith-Thomas, who noted that Lopez embodies that spirit. “It’s about the every man who says that you can do more, you can be more.” To that point, Lopez has found success in multiple avenues of entertainment — music, TV and film. “This is a story that supports the dreamer,” said Goldsmith-Thomas. “It also celebrates street smarts. It’s about a woman who might not have a formal education but has an amazing amount of street smarts and she proves that it can win the day.”

Master of Jenology

Jun 23, 2017#162

JLOz1FaNaTiC wrote:The meltdowns. Ironically, the movie stans have also said the same about her music career, yet have learned to deal with what she dishes out.

Well, time to smell the Goya beans buttercups. Jennifer Lopez will never be considered a great actress along the likes of Meryl Streep, Katherine Hepburn, or even Kate Winslet. She's good, but she's not great (something she's admitted herself). She does extremely well when directed properly.

I honestly think she's just OK with her position. Jennifer is a hustler, a go getter, with a NY mentality. I think her viewpoint after becoming a singer is just to work on various projects and make millions of money off her image because it has brought her much success, and it has worked for her all these years. I don't think Jennifer has been the kind of artist who cares about her artistry or her even craft (not since 2000 anyway). She just doesn't care to evolve or push herself. She's realized that what makes her iconic and successful is her image and her brand, and it makes her and her team millions of dollars every year. It's the classic "rags to riches" story of a young Puerto Rican girl from the Bronx who strived to become a successful entertainer, and conquer every aspect of the entertainment business to further showcase her capabilities and her power, to set her apart from everyone else.

It's sad to say it in that way, but it is the truth. Yes, Jennifer Lopez is indeed in a league of her own, but her schtick is all about getting the next coin. How she can capitalize on the success and popularity of said projects to further grow her brand and keep her career in high demand. It's something that as fans we just have to learn to digest. She isn't going to change, especially not at 48 years old.

#ChurchDismissed

Amen

14K6,346
                          Contributor
                          14K6,346

Jun 23, 2017#163

with that writer I really I doubt it but maybe a good cast might same it a little, we'll see who they'll be able to get.

Doctor of Jenology

Jun 23, 2017#164

Jloveandjlo wrote:
                              Mille Backer wrote:Which JLo's movies were #1?
                              Jack
                              Anaconda
                              ANTZ
                              The Cell
                              The Wedding Planner
                              Maid in Manhattan
                              Monster
                              Ice Age: Continental Drift
                              Home
                              Thank you!

26K8,905
                              Doctor of Jenology
                              26K8,905

Jun 23, 2017#165

Let me say something nice.... :lol:

Peter Segal is not a good director, but The Nutty Professor 2, Anger Management, 50 First Dates, The Longest Yard and Get Smart were all box office hits. :D

22K4,141
                                Doctor of Jenology
                                22K4,141

Jun 23, 2017#166

If she was to be acknowledged as a good actress, she should decide better on the movies she chooses. Who knows, this movie may end up being good and get some good reviews... but if she wants to be considered a great actress, she def. needs to challenge herself. I'm not mad that she's doing a rom-com... Shades of Blue and Griselda are on the right path, but she needs to decide for better roles.

46K3,605
                                  Admin
                                  46K3,605

Jun 23, 2017#167

jennylover83 wrote:I don't think it's fair to say she does anything just for the money anymore. She's already made more money than she could ever possibly spend. Plus between her endorsements, Vegas and producing she's got a very healthy annual income. SOB, WOD, Griselda, BBB, and the Spanish album are all passion projects. This film will obviously be very commercial, but the concept sounds strongly connected to her roots and like something that could easily be meaningful to her and hopefully her fan base.

Plus, I'm sure she will only make serious money if it's a huge hit. Wasn't her income on TBND a percentage of the box office?

Bachelor of Jenology

Jun 24, 2017#168

Now I feel it's OK to do this kind of movie for her,the biggest reason I convince myself is that I know there is another Drama Griselda,I look forward to it since day 1.Hope this can make a box office hit and Griselda movie will get critics' praise even some awards.

Aug 24, 2017#169

There is nearly Sep and we still have nothing news about this movie,it will be filmed after Oct?

Doctor of Jenology

Aug 24, 2017#170

They had a live on instagram yesterday, they'll film this movie October and Griselda on HBO after WOD (for WOD they'll start January, so after January)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14K6,346
                                          Contributor
                                          14K6,346

Aug 24, 2017#171

I at least hope they make things a bit different like with an African American or latino love interest and not another white guy like all her rom-com (except if it's Chris Pine but not gonna happen) O:)

12K11,426
                                            Contributor
                                            12K11,426

Aug 24, 2017#172

chrisjlover wrote:They had a live on instagram yesterday, they'll film this movie October and Griselda on HBO after WOD (for WOD they'll start January, so after January)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When does she have time to promote her Spanish album? This is the main reason her music goes no where...she releases music and forgets about it with no proper promo.

Anyways, VERY excited for Griselda movie!!

Intro to Jenology

Aug 24, 2017#173

This Spanish Album might come out when we least expect it

Doctor of Jenology

Aug 24, 2017#174

jenny4life2love wrote:
                                                  JLOz1FaNaTiC wrote:The meltdowns. Ironically, the movie stans have also said the same about her music career, yet have learned to deal with what she dishes out.

I honestly think she's just OK with her position. Jennifer is a hustler, a go getter, with a NY mentality. I think her viewpoint after becoming a singer is just to work on various projects and make millions of money off her image because it has brought her much success, and it has worked for her all these years. I don't think Jennifer has been the kind of artist who cares about her artistry or her even craft (not since 2000 anyway). She just doesn't care to evolve or push herself. She's realized that what makes her iconic and successful is her image and her brand, and it makes her and her team millions of dollars every year. It's the classic "rags to riches" story of a young Puerto Rican girl from the Bronx who strived to become a successful entertainer, and conquer every aspect of the entertainment business to further showcase her capabilities and her power, to set her apart from everyone else.

It's sad to say it in that way, but it is the truth. Yes, Jennifer Lopez is indeed in a league of her own, but her schtick is all about getting the next coin. How she can capitalize on the success and popularity of said projects to further grow her brand and keep her career in high demand. It's something that as fans we just have to learn to digest. She isn't going to change, especially not at 48 years old.

#ChurchDismissed

Amen
                                                  This is very well said. I don't agree with you all the time, but you hit the nail on the head on this one.

10 years ago I would've not agreed with you. But today, yes. Not that it really matters for me personally, though, . I still follow her and like to see what she's up to. I just try not to get invested in it too much anymore to avoid disappointment, since these are not the J.Lo / This Is Me... Then and Out of Sight / The Cell days anymore. Things are different now.

Doctor of Jenology

Aug 24, 2017#175

I had already forgotten about this soon to be horrid movie. I'd wish jen focus on challenging roles. I want to see her in a sci fi movie, a thriller, drama but nope were getting more same old same ol. So depressing at times.

Read more posts (762 remaining)