‘American Idol’: Deal in Place at ABC to Revive Competition Series

‘American Idol’: Deal in Place at ABC to Revive Competition Series

46K3,606
Admin
46K3,606

May 05, 2017#1

ABC has a deal in place with FremantleMedia to revive “American Idol.”

The broadcast network and the production company have settled on a framework for an agreement to bring back the long-running singing-competition series. According to sources, the Alphabet is eyeing a March premiere for the show, which would potentially air on Sunday nights, where ABC has struggled in recent seasons against NBC’s “Sunday Night Football” and programming on Fox and CBS that benefits from a strong NFL lead-in. The Alphabet is the only broadcaster of the Big Four that does not have an NFL package.

Yet to be decided is whether or how longtime host Ryan Seacrest could return to the franchise. Seacrest this week was announced as the new co-host of ABC syndicated morning program “Live!” with Kelly Ripa. He is relocating to New York for the role — a move that presents a substantial obstacle to a return as host of “Idol,” which has always filmed in Los Angeles.

ABC, which has yet to close the deal, had passed on “Idol” after hearing a pitch for it earlier this year. At that time, as Variety reported exclusively, NBC had emerged as the lead network to pick up a revival being shopped by FremantleMedia, which has insisted on a minimum 25-hour order from any broadcast partner.

But the Peacock backed away from a deal, concerned that “Idol” could negatively impact singing competition series “The Voice,” and turned off by a high asking price from the producer. The ABC deal would preclude the involvement of original judge Simon Cowell, who was rumored to be a possibility to rejoin the show at NBC, where he produces “America’s Got Talent” and has an exclusive agreement.

One potential name that has been floated to join the revived series is that of Kelly Clarkson, the singer who won the first season of “Idol” and went on to achieve pop-star status with hits such as “Since U Been Gone.”

ABC, which works with FremantleMedia on “Celebrity Family Feud” and “Match Game,” took another look at “Idol” last month while mapping out contingency plans for a possible strike by the Writers Guild of America. Broadcast and cable networks in the weeks leading up to the strike devoted a significant amount of time and energy to exploring what unscripted programming could be greenlit or expanded in the event of a strike.

To land the show, ABC had to outbid Fox, which moved aggressively in recent weeks to bring the series back to its air. “Idol” ran on Fox for 15 seasons beginning in 2002. For eight consecutive seasons, beginning in 2003-04, it was the highest-rated show on television. At its peak in 2006, “American Idol” averaged a 12.4 rating among in the 18-49 demographic and 36.4 million total viewers, according to Nielsen live-plus-same day numbers.

Ratings began to decline steeply in the show’s later years, to the point that Fox decided that it no longer represented a worthwhile financial or scheduling commitment. (The series aired two nights a week, typically beginning in midseason.) The final season in 2016 averaged a 2.2 and 9.1 million viewers. Those numbers were far diminished from what the show drew in its heyday, but they remain respectable by contemporary standards, with delayed viewing and increased competition applying downward pressure on live ratings across television.

ABC is expected to announce the return of “Idol” next week at its upfront presentation in New York.

Iiiinteresting. I think it's unlikely Jen would be part of it beyond something small because it's on ABC and the paycheck, LOL. Plus, would she even have time? I can't think of her schedule next year at the moment.

Bachelor of Jenology

May 05, 2017#2

I saw this a few hours ago, it's interesting, but I don't think that she will have the time to do another season of Idol.

12K11,437
      Contributor
      12K11,437

May 05, 2017#3

Tired of her and these reality shows and easy checks..hope she does not do this.

Intro to Jenology

May 06, 2017#4

no she won't do this...ending Idol the way she did it with the "final season" was perfect
          i also think this time they shouldn't use celebrity judges, they should keep it very simple and real and focus on the talent

Contributor

May 06, 2017#5

If idol is revived, she problably won't have time next year but I always see a possibility as long as it's alive lol..

14K6,346
            Contributor
            14K6,346

May 06, 2017#6

Next year if her stuff are renewed it should be WOD season 2, SOB season 4, Vegas and The Griselda movie so yeah let's hope she won't have time for Idol if they ask her, she needs to move on. And if it's a Reboot would be dumb of them to get the old judges.

Contributor

May 06, 2017#7

She is one of the judges on World of Dance. I don't see her doing two judge jobs.

Contributor

May 06, 2017#8

Idol is over. She needs to not backtrack.

Bachelor of Jenology

May 06, 2017#9

ouch! i loved idol when she was on but its time to move on. WOD and SOB is enough for Jen. but hey i wouldn't mind for her to go as a guest judge.

Bachelor of Jenology

May 06, 2017#10

No way!
                      :jenclapno

Bachelor of Jenology

May 07, 2017#11

American Idol should stay dead; if any show should be revived, it should be The X Factor, which has a much better premise than Idol ever did. But, at the end of the day, no one gives a fuck about these talent shows. Look at The Voice, all of the winners haven't done anything significant in the music industry. People watch, they vote and then they don't support.

As for Jennifer's involvement, I wouldn't see it happening unless it were NBC that aired the series. And putting it on Sunday is leading me to believe that ABC is planning to cancel its entire Sunday night lineup to make room for Idol. I think it's still too soon for this, and they should honestly allow it to rest.

May 09, 2017#12

Variety wrote:ABC is the official new home of “American Idol.”

The broadcaster revealed Tuesday morning on “Good Morning America” that it has given a greenlight to a 16th season of the long-running music competition. The series order ends not only a process that saw multiple networks explore bringing the reality franchise to their air, but also a briefer-than-anticipated absence for a show that just a year ago celebrated its “farewell season.”

“GMA” anchors Robin Roberts and George Stephanopoulos offered few details about the planned revival. They said details such as the show’s host and judging panel were still to be determined, and there’s no word yet about a showrunner.

“America, get ready for the return of a bigger, bolder and better-than-ever ‘Idol,’ ” Disney/ABC TV Group president Ben Sherwood promised.

As rumors of “Idol’s” move to ABC spread, there’s been speculation about whether Ryan Seacrest would be able to return as host. Seacrest earlier this month was named permanent co-host of the “Live with Kelly and Ryan” syndicated morning show, in addition to hosting his daily radio program. “Live” is distributed by Disney, which could make it easier for Seacrest to juggle an obligation to another ABC program.

“ ‘American Idol’ is a pop-culture staple that left the air too soon,” said Channing Dungey, president of ABC Entertainment, in a statement. “ABC is the right home to reignite the fan base. We are thrilled viewers will once again share in these inspiring stories of people realizing their dreams.”

The new-model “Idol” comes from FremantleMedia North America and Core Media Group’s 19 Entertainment. Executive producers include FremantleMedia North America’s Trish Kinane and Jennifer Mullin. Fox is believed to still have an ownership interest in the show.

”ABC’s passion and enthusiasm make them a perfect home for ‘American Idol,’ ” said Cecile Frot-Coutaz, CEO of FremantleMedia Group. “We are excited to be partnering with them to discover the next generation of talented artists. It’s an irresistible combination that means now is the ideal time to welcome back one of the most successful shows in the history of contemporary television.”

ABC emerged as the leading candidate to bring back “Idol” in recent weeks, and by Friday had a deal in place with producers FremantleMedia and Core Media Group to lock up the show. That framework for an agreement withstood a last-second bid by Fox, which aggressively pursued the pricey series that it had canceled a year earlier. Fox was rebuffed, and by Friday evening ABC and FremantleMedia were in exclusive negotiations, putting the finishing touches on the deal.

As negotiations entered their final stages Friday, ABC was already mulling scheduling options, with insiders telling Variety at the time that the show was primed for a March 2018 premiere and would likely air on Sunday nights.

When Fremantle began shopping “Idol” earlier this year, NBC at first emerged as the most likely home for the show. But the Peacock walked away from talks, worried about the series’ costs and its potential negative effect on existing singing-competition series “The Voice.”

“Idol” ran on Fox for 15 seasons beginning in 2002. For eight consecutive seasons, beginning in 2003-04, it was the highest-rated show on television. At its peak in 2006, “American Idol” averaged a 12.4 rating in the 18-49 demographic and 36.4 million total viewers.

Ratings declined steeply in the show’s later years, to the point that Fox decided that “Idol” no longer represented a worthwhile financial or scheduling commitment. (The series aired two nights a week, typically beginning in midseason.) The final season in 2016 averaged a 2.2 and 9.1 million viewers. Those numbers were far diminished from what the show drew in its heyday, but they remain respectable by contemporary standards, with delayed viewing and increased competition applying downward pressure on live ratings across television.

14K2,609
                          Admin
                          14K2,609

May 09, 2017#13

I just heard on the radio here that all the filming would be done here at Disney to cut all the travel cost. Don't know how true that is. lol If so, I would definitely check it out and hope for a guest appearance from Jen.

Heather, maybe we could get another visit to the Idol set!! :D lol

Master of Jenology

May 09, 2017#14

don't even show her this article!! jen, stay away from ANY reboot.

Bachelor of Jenology

May 09, 2017#15

Jen won't do this. She has World of Dance to make a HUGE success.

Bachelor of Jenology

May 09, 2017#16

tah71 wrote:I just heard on the radio here that all the filming would be done here at Disney to cut all the travel cost. Don't know how true that is. lol If so, I would definitely check it out and hope for a guest appearance from Jen.

According to what I have read, ABC has tried moving filming to New York, but producers are demanding it remain in Los Angeles.

May 09, 2017#17

Dan#jlofan wrote:Jen won't do this. She has World of Dance to make a HUGE success.
                                    ABC is [reportedly] looking to cast a fresh judging panel.

14K2,609
                                    Admin
                                    14K2,609

May 09, 2017#18

Nothin On Me wrote:
                                      tah71 wrote:I just heard on the radio here that all the filming would be done here at Disney to cut all the travel cost. Don't know how true that is. lol If so, I would definitely check it out and hope for a guest appearance from Jen.

According to what I have read, ABC has tried moving filming to New York, but producers are demanding it remain in Los Angeles.
                                      'American Idol' Auditions Will Go Down at Disney World!!!

EXCLUSIVE

ABC ... you just snagged "American Idol." So, where you goin' for auditions? We're goin' to Disney World!!!

Yep, TMZ has learned the show will shoot audition weeks at Walt Disney World in Orlando. We're told there are 2 reasons:

-- It promotes a huge brand within the Disney company -- amusement parks.

-- It's way more cost-effective than travelling the show to various cities.

A source familiar with the deal tells us there's also talk of doing some of the auditions at Disneyland on the West Coast.

It would also give the show a cross-section of America and beyond, without having to hit the road.

Money is definitely an issue. The show got too expensive to produce, which is why it went off the air a year ago, and this will save a considerable sum.
                                      http://www.tmz.com/2017/05/09/american- ... ney-world/

46K3,606
                                      Admin
                                      46K3,606

May 09, 2017#19

tah71 wrote: Heather, maybe we could get another visit to the Idol set!! :D lol
                                        :love

I can't imagine it would actually go to Orlando, though? I think it would be too hard to get people down there to perform on the show each week, but who knows!

Master of Jenology

May 10, 2017#20

I doubt she will do this.... but im sure she will be part of it somehow... maybe she will wait until it starts back to see the ratings then jump abroad.

Master of Jenology

May 10, 2017#21

If they're trying to save production costs this time, there's nooooo way they'll hire Jen back. Still, you never know with her though

Master of Jenology

May 11, 2017#22

PLEASE NO.

Intro to Jenology

May 11, 2017#23

Cant they rest the show for at least 10 years to give it some value. .i mean these networks are soooo desperate for money!!!!

Bachelor of Jenology

May 11, 2017#24

I hope it bombs like crazy. It will make Jens last few seasons look like ratings Gold.

13K1,207
                                                  Doctor of Jenology
                                                  13K1,207

May 14, 2017#25

Read more posts (20 remaining)