Bachelor of Jenology

May 18, 2017#151

Ne-Yo Dishes on Jennifer Lopez’s Big Appetite: She Can Eat ‘Half a Pizza By Herself’

We all know that Jennifer Lopez loves pizza more than your average superstar, but could anyone have guessed how much?

Acclaimed R&B singer Ne-Yo stopped by the PEOPLE Now studios to talk about the forthcoming premiere of NBC’s high-stakes World of Dance, which he cohosts with Derek Hough, Jenna Dewan-Tatum and Lopez. He revealed some interesting details about the judging panel’s after-show hangouts, particularly their frequent pizza parties at the home of Lopez.

“We hung out a couple times at J Lo’s home,” he said, revealing that the place was so big it was “embarrassing” for him and the other judges.

“She lives on a literal compound,” said Ne-Yo of Lopez’s Bel-Air estate, “That’s where I realized just how much J Lo can eat.” According to Ne-Yo, she is a prolific snacker and champion eater, finishing “a whole half a pizza by herself.”

“You’d never know by looking at her,” he added, “She works out like a beast.”

RELATED: Jennifer Lopez Ate One Slice of Pizza a Day Before She Made It

Despite this being the show’s first season, the judges already seemed to know each other quite well.

Opening up about the roles each of them played on the judging panel, Ne-Yo said, “Jen is mom. She’s the cool mom. She’s the mom that lets you stay out late.” He also added that Derek Hough was the “goofball” of the bunch, while Jenna Dewan-Tatum played the “sweetheart.”

Bachelor of Jenology

May 19, 2017#152

I think World of Dance will be a hit. They have definitely promoted this show perfectly.

1. A good set of advertisements on TV and Social media that really capture the best of the show.
      2. Talk shows like Ellen, Kathy Lee and Hoda, James Corden for the months leading up to the premiere
      3. The World of Dance Challenge has put it all over social media. People like Mario Lopez, Kathy Lee and Hoda, The minions, and a million NBC news anchors have taken part.

Please Jen. DO something like this for your album.

12K11,445
      Contributor
      12K11,445

May 19, 2017#153

I wasn't excited for this show at all but I'm a bit curious now. Plus I love that this project barely took any of her time and has the potential of being a hit for her.

Doctor of Jenology

May 19, 2017#154

It looks like a well-produced show after all, I hope that this will be good.

13K1,207
          Doctor of Jenology
          13K1,207

May 21, 2017#155

14K2,609
            Admin
            14K2,609

May 22, 2017#156

I'm super excited for this....can't wait! :D

Intro to Jenology

May 22, 2017#157

Bachelor of Jenology

May 23, 2017#158

They are making all the right moves in promoting this show. Hopefully they will do the same with her album.

Bachelor of Jenology

May 23, 2017#159

14K6,354
                    Contributor
                    14K6,354

May 23, 2017#160

that's from January but I don't remember those pictures.

Bachelor of Jenology

May 25, 2017#161

46K3,607
                        Admin
                        46K3,607

May 25, 2017#162

A nice write-up in the NY Times:

LOS ANGELES — In a small studio tucked into an industrial park next to the Burbank Airport last month, 11 dancers clad in black rehearsed moves for a coming concert, the men brandishing sparkly canes. They were soon called into another studio, where Jennifer Lopez was gripping a glittery microphone, her young daughter hanging off her waist.

“O.K., let me see what you guys did,” she said matter-of-factly. They spun, strutted and shimmied for her in a fusion of salsa and hip-hop dance. Ms. Lopez nodded in approval and, child-free, improvised some fast hip swirls. She then joined her crew members, matching them beat for beat, grooving seductively one moment and hitting quick, sharp positions the next.

Yep, she’s still got it. And if she blended in with the dancers, it’s because once upon a time she was one of them, part of the support squad. Ms. Lopez started out dancing for acts like New Kids on the Block, Janet Jackson and, most famously, as a Fly Girl on the 1990s television series “In Living Color.”

“Before I was anything, I was a dancer,” Ms. Lopez said in a phone interview the next week. “It’s so much a part of my trajectory.”

That trajectory comes full circle with “World of Dance,” a new reality dance competition for which she is an executive producer and the lead judge. The show, which is to have its premiere Tuesday, May 30, on NBC, features 47 acts from around the world battling in divisions based on age (the youngest is 9) and group size (from soloists to large troupes). Division winners will compete for the modest title of Best in the World.

That definitive-sounding honor and the tournament-like format go hand in hand with the sports metaphors that Ms. Lopez and others regularly used in talking about the show, citing its athleticism, sense of drama and physical risk. “We had broken bones on the show; we had injuries and emotional breakdowns,” she said. (Several of the show’s creators call it “the Olympics of dance” and refer to contestants as “artistic athletes.”)

Unlike the popular television dance competition “So You Think You Can Dance,” which challenges contestants to perform a variety of styles in routines created by a roster of choreographers, the competitors on “World of Dance” perform their own routines in their preferred styles. And unlike “Dancing With the Stars,” which pairs celebrities with professional ballroom dancers, “World of Dance” features only dancers: no football players, washed-up politicians or former Playboy bunnies.

“My whole goal with this show was to create an opportunity and a venue for dancers to actually be the stars,” Ms. Lopez said, and to get to do something they rarely have a chance to do: “really make some money.”

The grand prize is a staggering $1 million. As Meredith Ahr, president of Universal Television Alternative Studio and a producer of the show, said, “Having a prize that was meaningful and life-changing was very important.”

Among those competing for the jackpot are 801 Squad, a ballroom/jazz group from Utah; the French hip-hop pair Les Twins; and Prodijig, a contemporary Irish dance group from Dublin. Also represented are tap ensembles, ballet duos and a flamenco dancer. Some participants have already made names for themselves, like the young hip-hop troupe the Lab, which has performed with Justin Bieber, and the Jabbawockeez, which headline a Las Vegas show. Others have yet to “make a brand for themselves,” as Ms. Lopez put it, something she said she hoped the show’s exposure would help them do.

Such diversity leads to an obvious problem: “How is a soloist going to compete with a big crew?” asked Derek Hough, a champion ballroom dancer, frequent “Dancing With the Stars” pro and one of three judges on “World of Dance,” along with Ms. Lopez and the R&B singer Ne-Yo.

To answer his own question, Mr. Hough cited an episode in which a young girl took the stage alone after a large group. “I thought, This is so unfair,” he recalled. “But she blew us away. It just silenced that question.” Referring to the same situation in a separate interview, Ne-Yo said, “One dancer with the right amount of passion can be just as dynamic as 20 people.”

A similar question can be posed about the impossibility of pitting vastly different styles against one another. “World of Dance” will use a numbers-based scoring system that awards points in categories like technique, creativity and transitions. “It’s a rubric you can break down,” Mr. Hough said. Unlike other TV talent competitions, there is no audience input. Episodes are prerecorded, and all decisions are made by the judges.

The show’s formula follows a model developed on the competition dance circuit, a robust industry that hops from one convention center to the next across the country, offering master classes and contests aimed at teenage and preteen dancers. The circuit is organized by production companies like World of Dance (the show’s namesake, and one of its producers), which was founded in 2008 and fueled by the eruption of dance on the internet.

“YouTube really grew this phenomenon,” said the company’s founder, David Gonzalez, who recognized dance’s business potential after seeing the reaction to break dancers at a car show he produced. By 2011, World of Dance had expanded internationally and now attracts a significant following on social media and at live events. Ms. Lopez said she had found choreographers and dancers from its competitions. After scouting one event last year, network producers invited World of Dance to partner on a show.

Jenna Dewan Tatum, the host of “World of Dance,” is a proud product of dance conventions. A self-described “competition kid,” Ms. Tatum was a backup dancer for Justin Timberlake and Ricky Martin before starring in the 2006 dance film “Step Up.” She marveled at how TV dance shows have elevated the image of the dancer in the entertainment industry since she began.

“When I started, the dream was to dance for Janet Jackson,” she said — a dream she achieved. “I’ve watched the dream change for dancers. Now the dancer’s dream is to be the star.”

Ms. Tatum also serves as the show’s mentor, motivating and consoling the dancers backstage, which stirred fond memories of “my own teenage self going through this ride,” and sobering ones about “how I’m going to feed myself, pay my rent, get the next job.”

“World of Dance” proved a similarly poignant experience for Ms. Lopez. “It’s a struggle to be a dancer,” she said, recalling years of training as a child — her idols were Rita Moreno, Chita Rivera and Michael Jackson — and endless auditions. “It takes discipline and passion, and you have to be relentless.”

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/05/25/arts ... d=tw-share

Bachelor of Jenology

May 26, 2017#163

20K7,828
                            Doctor of Jenology
                            20K7,828

May 26, 2017#164

14K678
                              Admin
                              14K678

May 26, 2017#165

Nice video, but I kind of wished they'd have used one of her new Spanish songs for this challenge + Toddlerography, On The Floor is getting kind of old.

Master of Jenology

May 26, 2017#166

omg thats sooo amazing... Jen frikking stick... she could have released an english single to promote this. SMH...

Bachelor of Jenology

May 26, 2017#167

i hope this show was one of the reasons why BBB was delayed. hope the show succeed ill be watching!

Master of Jenology

May 26, 2017#168

14K678
                                      Admin
                                      14K678

May 26, 2017#169

:Bravo: :woot

20K7,828
                                        Doctor of Jenology
                                        20K7,828

May 26, 2017#170

Great ! She should be posting more stuff like that !

46K3,607
                                          Admin
                                          46K3,607

May 26, 2017#171

Wow, so they had rehearsals for their dancing in the promo. It's amazing how much goes into everything she does.

Intermediate Jenology

May 26, 2017#172

The promo for this show has been on point. This could be a huge hit for her.

Contributor

May 26, 2017#173

jenNY88 wrote:Ne-Yo Dishes on Jennifer Lopez’s Big Appetite: She Can Eat ‘Half a Pizza By Herself’

We all know that Jennifer Lopez loves pizza more than your average superstar, but could anyone have guessed how much?

Acclaimed R&B singer Ne-Yo stopped by the PEOPLE Now studios to talk about the forthcoming premiere of NBC’s high-stakes World of Dance, which he cohosts with Derek Hough, Jenna Dewan-Tatum and Lopez. He revealed some interesting details about the judging panel’s after-show hangouts, particularly their frequent pizza parties at the home of Lopez.

“We hung out a couple times at J Lo’s home,” he said, revealing that the place was so big it was “embarrassing” for him and the other judges.

“She lives on a literal compound,” said Ne-Yo of Lopez’s Bel-Air estate, “That’s where I realized just how much J Lo can eat.” According to Ne-Yo, she is a prolific snacker and champion eater, finishing “a whole half a pizza by herself.”

“You’d never know by looking at her,” he added, “She works out like a beast.”

RELATED: Jennifer Lopez Ate One Slice of Pizza a Day Before She Made It

Despite this being the show’s first season, the judges already seemed to know each other quite well.

Opening up about the roles each of them played on the judging panel, Ne-Yo said, “Jen is mom. She’s the cool mom. She’s the mom that lets you stay out late.” He also added that Derek Hough was the “goofball” of the bunch, while Jenna Dewan-Tatum played the “sweetheart.”
                                                "Selena" tea.

Wasn't it stated before that Selena also loved pizza and would eat a whole box by herself. I think Chris Perez said this as well. How ironic, or maybe Latinas just love pizza. :lol

14K2,609
                                                Admin
                                                14K2,609

May 27, 2017#174

rainman wrote:
                                                  Wow....I love seeing them dance together!! :D

Bachelor of Jenology

May 27, 2017#175

Wow the World of Dance Challenge Vid looks great. They got a load of entries. Awesome promo, something like this for one of her singles would be great too.

Read more posts (15 remaining)