23K5,924
Doctor of Jenology
23K5,924

Dec 09, 2016#151

OH MY GOD YES, get Jane!!

I'd like the cast to be more diverse, though. Everybody keeps suggesting all these white people. lol

Intro to Jenology

Dec 09, 2016#152

I'm really excited about this project.

Bachelor of Jenology

Dec 09, 2016#153

nixy1991 wrote:OH MY GOD YES, get Jane!!

I'd like the cast to be more diverse, though. Everybody keeps suggesting all these white people. lol
        While it would be nice to have a racially diverse cast, it naturally would not fit that time period, honestly.

23K5,924
        Doctor of Jenology
        23K5,924

Dec 09, 2016#154

Nothin On Me wrote:

While it would be nice to have a racially diverse cast, it naturally would not fit that time period, honestly.
          I was under the impression they were going to update it?

Bachelor of Jenology

Dec 09, 2016#155

nixy1991 wrote:
            Nothin On Me wrote:

I was under the impression they were going to update it?
            Oh, I was not aware of this. That makes me weary, then. Not saying I wouldn't not love a racially diverse cast, I just know the kind of backlash it may receive either way.

14K6,346
            Contributor
            14K6,346

Dec 09, 2016#156

It will probably be diverse with the supporting cast but not the leads well you have Jen and their story is that the family of her fiance doesn't accept that he marry a Latina. They can always make Conrad not white, I read someone suggesting Bruno Mars for that part it's actually a great idea.

46K3,604
              Admin
              46K3,604

Dec 09, 2016#157

I don't think they've said whether or not they are going to make it more current yet.

Jane would be really good. I saw her this year in She Loves Me and she was great. I like the Steve Carrell idea, too. I don't particularly like him, but at least in the movie, the actor played him goofy like that, lol.

14K678
                Admin
                14K678

Dec 09, 2016#158

I have never seen this show, so I'm not sure which character she could play, but I want Amy Poehler to be part of it.

She's working on a show for NBC so it'd make sense.

12K588
                  Doctor of Jenology
                  12K588

Dec 10, 2016#159

SC88 wrote:I have never seen this show, so I'm not sure which character she could play, but I want Amy Poehler to be part of it.

She's working on a show for NBC so it'd make sense.

46K3,604
                    Admin
                    46K3,604

Dec 29, 2016#160

FYI, I bought the Hairspray DVD and major mistakes (the audio drops, the big Hairspray prop that didn't close, Kristin Chenoweth's bow, etc.) were fixed. The prop part must have been replaced with rehearsal footage because if you remember what I'm talking about, a mistake like that can't be fixed in editing, haha. I expect the same would happen with Birdie.

Anyone think maybe Drake could be Birdie? lol

16K4,305
                      Contributor
                      16K4,305

Dec 30, 2016#161

JenRox wrote:FYI, I bought the Hairspray DVD and major mistakes (the audio drops, the big Hairspray prop that didn't close, Kristin Chenoweth's bow, etc.) were fixed. The prop part must have been replaced with rehearsal footage because if you remember what I'm talking about, a mistake like that can't be fixed in editing, haha. I expect the same would happen with Birdie.

Anyone think maybe Drake could be Birdie? lol
                        Its def. Drake, there is no other way Jen/Drake would post that instagram photo at the same time if its not work related

23K5,924
                        Doctor of Jenology
                        23K5,924

Dec 30, 2016#162

Drake playing Birdie would be the miscasting of the year.

14K6,346
                          Contributor
                          14K6,346

Dec 30, 2016#163

No way lol I agree with Nixy and it would be a really bad move for his career too.

46K3,604
                            Admin
                            46K3,604

Dec 30, 2016#164

It was just a thought. :lol

14K6,346
                              Contributor
                              14K6,346

Jan 18, 2017#165

Jan 18, 2017#166

Bye Bye Birdie: Jennifer Lopez wants to ‘push the envelope’ with next live musical
                                  Here’s the story, morning glory: Jennifer Lopez’s upcoming star turn in NBC’s next live musical, Bye Bye Birdie, will restore the show to its topical roots that some critics argue were ‘watered down’ in the beloved 1963 film version.

Lopez herself offered those words during NBC’s leg of the semi-annual Television Critics Association press tour, where she was promoting her sophomore series Shades of Blue. Asked to discuss her forthcoming role in the network’s fifth live musical, Lopez gushed about her excitement for tackling Birdie with a modern POV, even as it remains set in the ‘60s.

In Bye Bye Birdie, Lopez will star as Rosie, the sarcastic, whip-smart, and perennially put-upon secretary of a frazzled music agent named Albert — who happens to be her boyfriend but can’t seem to commit. A key facet of Rosie’s character, originated in the 1960 Broadway production by Chita Rivera, is her Puerto Rican heritage, which drives a wedge between Rosie and Albert’s racist mother; the latter’s jokes at Rosie’s expense inspires one of the leading lady’s most memorable songs, a solo of reckless abandon in act two called ‘Spanish Rose.’

However, in the 1963 movie, Janet Leigh played the role and though Rosie was still of Latin descent, the filmmakers scrapped both the song and much of the racial antagonism from Albert’s mother.

“The role of Rosie onstage…is such a great role, and it got watered down a little bit in the movie version,” said Lopez, who began her performing career in musical theater. “She was Puerto Rican, and Albert, who she was with, was not marrying her, [because] his mother did not like that she was Puerto Rican. There’s all these dynamics that were in the original play that didn’t make it into the movie.”

“It’s going to be interesting to actually play that part and be a woman who’s pushing 40 and feeling like, ‘Are we ever getting married?’ and wanting that and being the driver of the whole piece,” Lopez continued. “It’ll be authentic, it’ll be colorful, and we want to just push the envelope of how great these live television musicals can be. So I’m excited to take it on as a producer, and as a role.”

She’ll executive produce the musical with her producing partner Elaine Goldsmith-Thomas (with whom she brought the title to NBC) and Benny Medina, as well as Craig Zadan and Neil Meron. Harvey Fierstein will update the book for television, as he did for Hairspray Live.

Meanwhile, casting has not yet been announced for the other pivotal roles in the musical, including songwriter Albert (originated by Dick Van Dyke), local fan girl Kim MacAfee (immortalized onscreen by Ann-Margret), and of course, titular bad-boy musician Conrad Birdie (a role which we can only assume was written specifically so Nick Jonas could play him in 2017).
                                  http://ew.com/tv/2017/01/18/bye-bye-bir ... e-musical/

46K3,604
                                  Admin
                                  46K3,604

Jan 19, 2017#167

Ohhhh, Nick Jonas. Interesting choice!

14K6,346
                                    Contributor
                                    14K6,346

Jan 19, 2017#168

Yeah this isn't a bad idea.

12K588
                                      Doctor of Jenology
                                      12K588

Jan 19, 2017#169

Yaaasss! Nick would be a great choice and i think they really like each other! :D

23K5,924
                                        Doctor of Jenology
                                        23K5,924

Jan 19, 2017#170

So happy to hear that! Should be great.

16K4,305
                                          Contributor
                                          16K4,305

Jan 19, 2017#171

Nick is the best pop-male singer at the moment, would be an AMAZING choice.

Contributor

Feb 02, 2017#172

Maybe John Stamos will have a part on Bye Bye Birdie since this is one of the producer and he was there for JLOs Birthday with Stamos

46K3,604
                                              Admin
                                              46K3,604

Feb 02, 2017#173

That's a good guess! He was Albert on Broadway.

14K6,346
                                                Contributor
                                                14K6,346

Mar 03, 2017#174

‘Bye Bye Birdie Live’: Jerry Mitchell & Alex Rudzinski Set To Direct NBC Musical
                                                  Tony winner Jerry Mitchell and Emmy winner Alex Rudzinski have signed on as directors for NBC’s Bye Bye Birdie Live holiday musical production starring Jennifer Lopez.

Mitchell has joined as stage director and World of Dance helmer Rudzinski will serve as the telecast’s live television director.

Set at the height of rock ’n’ roll, Bye Bye Birdie takes us to Sweet Apple, Ohio, where hip-thrusting music heartthrob Conrad Birdie is scheduled to give a lucky Sweet Apple lady “One Last Kiss” before being drafted into the Army. Conrad’s rock ’n’ roll ways send the small town reeling, giving the teens Birdie fever, shocking the parents with moral indignation, and placing songwriter/agent Albert Peterson along with his savvy sweetheart, Rosie, right in the thick of things. The story was inspired by the popularity of Elvis Presley and his induction into the Army in 1957.

Mitchell, who choreographed NBC’s 2016 production of Hairspray Live!, is currently directing the Gloria Estefan bio-musical On Your Feet on Broadway. He earned his Tonys for the choreography of the 2013 Tony-winning Best Musical Kinky Boots, for which he was also nominated as director, and the 2005 revival of La Cage Aux Folles.

Rudzinski is director and co-executive producer of NBC’s upcoming dance competition series “World of Dance, with judges Jennifer Lopez, Derek Hough and NE-YO, and host Jenna Dewan Tatum. Rudzinski, who was nominated for a DGA Award for his live television direction of Hairspray Live!, has won two Emmy Awards, including Outstanding Direction for a Variety Special for his work on Fox’s musical Grease Live! His other credits include directing 22 seasons of ABC’s Dancing with the Stars.

“It’s a joy to work with Jerry Mitchell and Alex Rudzinski again after their incredible partnership on ‘Hairspray Live!,’ which elevated our live musicals to a new height,” said Robert Greenblatt, Chairman, NBC Entertainment. “Jerry is the cream of the crop of Broadway director/choreographers with two hits running on Broadway right now, and Alex is peerless in the world of live television direction.”

Harvey Fierstein will pen the teleplay adaptation for Bye Bye Birdie Live. Lopez will executive produce with her producing partner Elaine Goldsmith-Thomas and Benny Medina alongside Craig Zadan and Neil Meron. Rudzinski is also an executive producer and Mitchell a producer. Universal Television will produce with Lopez’s Nuyorican Productions, Storyline and Sony Pictures Television.
                                                  http://deadline.com/2017/03/bye-bye-bir ... 202035761/

Bachelor of Jenology

Mar 03, 2017#175

I love the idea of a diverse cast tbh

Read more posts (182 remaining)