Jennifer Lopez to star in NBC's Musical "Bye Bye Birdie Live!"

Jennifer Lopez to star in NBC's Musical "Bye Bye Birdie Live!"

10K7
Doctor of Jenology
10K7

Oct 28, 2016#1

'Bye Bye Birdie,' Starring Jennifer Lopez, Set as NBC's 2017 Live Holiday Musical

NBC has set its holiday 2017 live musical: Bye Bye Birdie, starring Jennifer Lopez.

NBC Entertainment chairman Bob Greenblatt made the announcement Thursday night during a Paley Center panel. "She came to us and said, 'I love this movie and I'd love to do it,'" Greenblatt revealed during the 45 minute discussion. Asked if she'd do it live, Lopez — who Greenblatt pointed out has show in Las Vegas where she preforms the song "Lot of Livin'" from the musical — responded, "Absolutely."

“Broadway musicals and films fueled my childhood and ‘Bye Bye Birdie’ was one of my favorites. I’m proud to be a part of the NBC family with ‘Shades of Blue’ and I thought it would be a blast to take on one of their big live musicals," says Lopez.

The singer-actress-producer will star as Rosie and executive produce the Universal Television live musical alongside Nuyorican Productions' Elaine Goldsmith-Thomas and her manager, Benny Medina. Also set to exec produce are NBC's live musical masterminds Craig Zadan and Neil Meron (Hairspray, The Wiz, Peter Pan and The Sound of Music). The production will be written by Harvey Fierstein, who also wrote and will co-star in the network's upcoming holiday live musical Hairspray.

NBC's Bye Bye Birdie Live will be based on the 1960 Tony-winning Broadway musical that starred Dick Van Dyke as Albert Peterson and Chita Rivera as Rosie. The book was written by Michael Stewart with lyrics by Lee Adams and music by Charles Strouse. Van Dyke took home the Tony for the role, while Rivera scored a nomination. The play was adapted into a 1963 Golden Globe-nominated feature film starring Van Dyke and Janet Leigh as Rosie. The film helped propel Ann-Margaret, who played Kim MacAfee, to stardom.

Set at the height of rock 'n' roll, Bye Bye Birdie takes place in Sweet Apple, Ohio, where hip-thrusting music heartthrob Conrad Birdie is scheduled to give a lucky Sweet Apple lady "One Last Kiss" before being drafted into the Army. Conrad’s rock 'n' roll ways send the small town reeling, giving the teens Birdie fever, shocking the parents with moral indignation, and placing songwriter-agent Albert Peterson along with his savvy sweetheart, Rosie, right in the thick of things. The story was inspired by Elvis Presley and his induction into the Army in 1957.

“To have a superstar like Jennifer Lopez starring in this classic show, which every high school in America has done, will ensure that our holiday musicals continue to be must-see events for the whole family,” added Greenblatt. “It was her idea to take on this classic singing and dancing role made famous by the legendary Chita Rivera, and we are so happy to oblige! This show has delighted audiences for generations with classic songs that include ‘Put on a Happy Face’ and ‘A Lot of Livin’ to Do,’ and this will be an extravagant production built around this big star.”

The live production extends NBC and Universal Television's relationship with Lopez. She currently has a residency at Planet Hollywood in Las Vegas where she preforms 40 shows a year. She also stars in NBC's Shades of Blue, with its second season due in 2017. She will also exec produce and serve as a judge on NBC's UTV reality competition series World of Dance. Lopez, who has a development deal with UTV, is readying futuristic bio-terror drama C.R.I.S.P.R. for NBC and has an untitled legal drama set up at CBS. She next will play drug lord Griselda Blanco in an HBO TV movie.

Lopez and Goldsmith-Thomas are repped by CAA.

For NBC, Bye Bye Birdie will mark its fifth holiday live musical event. Hairspray, starring Kristin Chenoweth, Jennifer Hudson and Fierstein, will air Dec. 7 on NBC. The network is also teaming with Aaron Sorkin to bring A Few Good Men to the network live, which sources say is being eyed for an April debut though no announcements about a premiere or time frame other than a 2017 date have been made.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-f ... cal-941868

Intermediate Jenology

Oct 28, 2016#2

That's a very smart and unexpected move.

10K7
      Doctor of Jenology
      10K7

Oct 28, 2016#3

Ok, so she bought NBC and we don't know. :lmao

Excited for this! I will check the soundtrack.

Contributor

Oct 28, 2016#4

Jen has TAKEN OVER television. Shades of Blue, American Idol, Q'Viva, World of Dance, The Fosters, producing C.R.I.S.P.R. and now A LIVE MUSICAL? This will be amazing. :woot Griselda Blanco movie too. God bless Jen, she is truly unstoppable. Spanish Album, Las Vegas, etc... there's nothing she can't do.

Doctor of Jenology

Oct 28, 2016#5

What? Jen, for real now. She is doing way to much. I just hope she leaves enough room for griselda movie.

Doctor of Jenology

Oct 28, 2016#6

Is here the Tony Awards Tour?

Oct 28, 2016#7

She's thirsty for EGOT, but poor... The reality is another, I hope she can be critical acclaim this time and reaches her goals!

Doctor of Jenology

Oct 28, 2016#8

This sounds great! :woot

Intro to Jenology

Oct 28, 2016#9

We know she can do many things at the same time. When she is truly inspired she can slay like there is no tomorrow.

14K2,614
                    Doctor of Jenology
                    14K2,614

Oct 28, 2016#10

OMG I'm so excited !!! I just bought the 3000-Limited Edition "Bye Bye Birdie" Blu-Ray !!!!I can't wait for the soundtrack !!!!

Doctor of Jenology

Oct 28, 2016#11

Mille Backer wrote:She's thirsty for EGOT, but poor... The reality is another, I hope she can be critical acclaim this time and reaches her goals!

14K6,346
                        Contributor
                        14K6,346

Oct 28, 2016#12

Hmm I don't know what to think.. and this is gonna be hard that's some real live singing no prerecorded vocals , also won't she be the 1st Alister doing this ? (If she's still considered like one) I wonder who else gonna be cast with her but it's still far away.

16K4,305
                          Contributor
                          16K4,305

Oct 28, 2016#13

daisylo wrote:Hmm I don't know what to think.. and this is gonna but hard that's some real live singing no prerecorded vocals , also won't she be the 1st Alister doing this ? (If she's still considered like one) I wonder who else gonna be cast with her but it's still far away.

23K5,924
                            Doctor of Jenology
                            23K5,924

Oct 28, 2016#14

Ugh, she's such a legend! Can't wait for this.

14K6,346
                              Contributor
                              14K6,346

Oct 28, 2016#15

Oh she's playing the Janet Leight character I was kinda afraid that she would have to sing the bye bye birdie song, I don't remember which song Rosie sing in the movie.

Doctor of Jenology

Oct 28, 2016#16

That's amazing!

23K5,924
                                  Doctor of Jenology
                                  23K5,924

Oct 28, 2016#17

She has a few songs, but she also has a big dance number, so she's perfect for the role.

14K6,346
                                    Contributor
                                    14K6,346

Oct 28, 2016#18

Yeah I remember the dance number, this was good.

14K2,771
                                      Contributor
                                      14K2,771

Oct 28, 2016#19

Now this is exciting!

14K6,346
                                        Contributor
                                        14K6,346

Oct 28, 2016#20

from the original musical

and from a more recent one, the last song will be the most challenging, the songs won't be easy for her, but in the movie her character doesn't has that many songs, so maybe she won't have all those numbers.

Master of Jenology

Oct 28, 2016#21

Holy smokes I just watched the first one and that was gooooood but INTENSE! I'll watch the others later. I know Bianca, she's super super talented. This'll be some intense training for Jen lol I mean, nothing she can't do but this is going to be hard work.

Contributor

Oct 28, 2016#22

It was about time!
                                              I was just thinking recently how she is really one of the few artists of our generation who has excelled in acting, singing, and dancing with ease.

It's honestly rare to see in today's day and age. This is her expertise. Weird, she hasn't done it years ago tbh.

Anyway, I'm excited, and nervous for some of the vocal performances, but I have faith in her. She can work with a vocal coach starting now. I can't wait! :clap

14K2,614
                                              Doctor of Jenology
                                              14K2,614

Oct 28, 2016#23

I think they will use the Original Play where Chita Rivera was the main star, cause in the movie adaptation the star it's the Ann Margret character not the Jennifer one !!!

2017 will be amazing, New Spanish album, and 2 of her biggest challenges like actress (Griselda Blanco/Bye Bye Birdie)

Bachelor of Jenology

Oct 28, 2016#24

Wait wait... wait...

Am I reading this right? This will air THIS December 7th??? Like in less than a month and a half from now??? Or will this be airing next year?... How the hell is she going to learn choreo, songs, acting parts, rehearsals and prepare for live singing for an entire freaking musical in such a short time??? I mean, I am totally excited for this, but someone tell me I am wrong and this is actually for next year.

22K4,141
                                                  Doctor of Jenology
                                                  22K4,141

Oct 28, 2016#25

This is great!!!!

Read more posts (332 remaining)