Jennifer Lopez to Play Drug Lord Griselda Blanco in @HBO TV Movie

Jennifer Lopez to Play Drug Lord Griselda Blanco in @HBO TV Movie

14K6,346
Contributor
14K6,346

Aug 10, 2016#1

:woot
    Good that it's for HBO but no director yet so we'll see they have Rick Yorn as a producer he has a good resume and Alex Pettyfer as an executive producer ? that's random but explain his presence at one of her vegas show.

The 'Shades of Blue' star will also executive produce the TV movie.
    Jennifer Lopez is headed for HBO.

The star of NBC's Shades of Blue is set to topline and exec produce an untitled TV movie revolving around late drug lord Griselda Blanco, The Hollywood Reporter has learned.

The film, which is in development, focuses on the rise and fall of Blanco, the notorious drug lord known as "The Cocaine Godmother" who revolutionized the U.S. drug trade during the 1970s and 1980s and became the most powerful female cartel member of all time.

Lopez will star and exec produce via her Nuyorican Productions alongside company topper Elaine Goldsmith-Thomas, the singer-actress' manager, Benny Medina, as well as LBI Entertainment's Julie and Rick Yorn. Alex Pettyfer will co-exec produce alongside Nuyorican's Priscilla Porianda and LBI's Patrick Walmsley. Actor Pettyfer is attached only as a co-EP and it's unclear if he will have any on-screen role in the movie.

"I’ve been fascinated by the life of this corrupt and complicated woman for many years,” Lopez said. “The idea of teaming with HBO felt like the perfect fit for finally bringing Griselda’s story to life.”

For Lopez, the HBO movie comes as production on season two of NBC drama Shades of Blue, which she also exec produces. The singer-actress has been making a major TV push of late with Nuyorican also behind Freeform's critical darling The Fosters.

For HBO, the movie marks the premium cable network's latest star-driven take following its Emmy-nominated Anita Hill entry Confirmation with Kerry Washington and Bryan Cranston's All the Way.

The HBO also arrives as USA Network has found success with its female-driven drug kingpin drama Queen of the South, which was partially inspired by Blanco's story.

Blanco was killed in Colombia in September 2012. She was the subject of documentary feature Cocaine Cowboys and allegedly gunned down her first two husbands. She is said to have trafficked 300 kilos of cocaine per month during the height of her operation and became a multi-millionaire several times over during her 40s and is said to have ordered dozens of murders in order to keep her place at the top of Miami's gangster heap. She was arrested in 1985 and sentenced to almost two decades in a U.S. prison before being deported and, by reported accounts, going on to live a quiet life in Colombia's second-largest city, which has its own reputation as a favorite home-base for drug kingpins and cartels.

Lopez is repped by CAA, Medina and Hirsch Wallerstein.
    http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-f ... ord-918749

Doctor of Jenology

Aug 10, 2016#2

daisylo wrote:

:woot

Good that it's for HBO but no director yet so we'll see, and Alex Pettyfer as an executive producer ? that's random but explain his presence at one of her vegas show.

The 'Shades of Blue' star will also executive produce the TV movie.
      Jennifer Lopez is headed for HBO.

The star of NBC's Shades of Blue is set to topline and exec produce an untitled TV movie revolving around late drug lord Griselda Blanco, The Hollywood Reporter has learned.

The film, which is in development, focuses on the rise and fall of Blanco, the notorious drug lord known as "The Cocaine Godmother" who revolutionized the U.S. drug trade during the 1970s and 1980s and became the most powerful female cartel member of all time.

Lopez will star and exec produce via her Nuyorican Productions alongside company topper Elaine Goldsmith-Thomas, the singer-actress' manager, Benny Medina, as well as LBI Entertainment's Julie and Rick Yorn. Alex Pettyfer will co-exec produce alongside Nuyorican's Priscilla Porianda and LBI's Patrick Walmsley. Actor Pettyfer is attached only as a co-EP and it's unclear if he will have any on-screen role in the movie.

"I’ve been fascinated by the life of this corrupt and complicated woman for many years,” Lopez said. “The idea of teaming with HBO felt like the perfect fit for finally bringing Griselda’s story to life.”

For Lopez, the HBO movie comes as production on season two of NBC drama Shades of Blue, which she also exec produces. The singer-actress has been making a major TV push of late with Nuyorican also behind Freeform's critical darling The Fosters.

For HBO, the movie marks the premium cable network's latest star-driven take following its Emmy-nominated Anita Hill entry Confirmation with Kerry Washington and Bryan Cranston's All the Way.

The HBO also arrives as USA Network has found success with its female-driven drug kingpin drama Queen of the South, which was partially inspired by Blanco's story.

Blanco was killed in Colombia in September 2012. She was the subject of documentary feature Cocaine Cowboys and allegedly gunned down her first two husbands. She is said to have trafficked 300 kilos of cocaine per month during the height of her operation and became a multi-millionaire several times over during her 40s and is said to have ordered dozens of murders in order to keep her place at the top of Miami's gangster heap. She was arrested in 1985 and sentenced to almost two decades in a U.S. prison before being deported and, by reported accounts, going on to live a quiet life in Colombia's second-largest city, which has its own reputation as a favorite home-base for drug kingpins and cartels.

Lopez is repped by CAA, Medina and Hirsch Wallerstein.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-f ... ord-918749
      If it's true, it looks REALLY interesting. The right role during SoB, to make critics take her seriously.

Doctor of Jenology

Aug 10, 2016#3

I hope she gets her blood in this movie!

14K6,346
        Contributor
        14K6,346

Aug 10, 2016#4

She's probably gonna film this next March/April !

She's not gonna gain weight for it but I hope she'll still really transform herself for the role.

46K3,605
          Admin
          46K3,605

Aug 10, 2016#5

Super excited about this! That should be fascinating to watch.

Intro to Jenology

Aug 10, 2016#6

Yes. The good thing about no more Idol is that she gets to do stuff like this! I just know she'll kill it in this role. Can't wait to find out about the director and cast. Hopefully Steven Soderbergh! :love2

Doctor of Jenology

Aug 10, 2016#7

:woot :woot
                WOW

Intermediate Jenology

Aug 10, 2016#8

Remember she was trying to play her in "Cocaine Cowboys" with Mark Wahlberg a few years back? Guess the movie never got made. Great news!

20K2,682
                  Admin
                  20K2,682

Aug 10, 2016#9

This is awesome news!!

14K6,346
                    Contributor
                    14K6,346

Aug 10, 2016#10

jennylover83 wrote:Yes. The good thing about no more Idol is that she gets to do stuff like this! I just know she'll kill it in this role. Can't wait to find out about the director and cast. Hopefully Steven Soderbergh! :love2

that would be a dream and get Oscar Isaac in the cast :D

20K7,821
                      Doctor of Jenology
                      20K7,821

Aug 10, 2016#11

Should be a great role for Jen !

26K8,905
                        Doctor of Jenology
                        26K8,905

Aug 10, 2016#12

Yesss!!!! :woot

Hopefully it wil be in Spanish (but probably not).

Do they already have a script? :interesting

23K5,924
                          Doctor of Jenology
                          23K5,924

Aug 10, 2016#13

I'm gonna die :woot This is SUCH an interesting role!

PLEASE get a good director, PLEASEEE

22K4,141
                            Doctor of Jenology
                            22K4,141

Aug 10, 2016#14

Let this be true!!!!

23K5,924
                              Doctor of Jenology
                              23K5,924

Aug 10, 2016#15

She better do her research, don't be slacking Jennifer!

And OMG Jen with a butt chin. :lol The make-up department has their work cut out for them. lol

Bachelor of Jenology

Aug 10, 2016#16

Contributor

Aug 10, 2016#17

This is great news for Jennifer.! Awesome alliance with HBO plus she's producing it! I believe she really is her best when she plays someone else, not just a given character for example (Selena, Puchi in El Cantante).

I need her company to allow a big budget for this. We already know that the promo will be on point like TBND. I hope she does do her research because to me she's been trying to get this role for a while now so it must be a passionate project. Shes deff went ahead Mark Wahlberg putting this on paper and out to the public. I wonder where is his movie standing (Anyone has info on it?)

Plus, I hope its really raw with the husband killings and dramatization of Griselda, (Curse some bitches out Jennifer!) . I want her to allow herself to get dirty and really divorce from the Jennifer Lopez the comedy actress. With HBO she can really expose a more raw and serious side of her. This enforces her view of a serious actress by the critics and more importantly she has two possibilities for awards nomination along with SOB season 2 or 3 like Kerry Washington with Scandal and Confirmation. I just need to have a good TEAM/CO STARS! and that's a WIN! Thanks Elaine for becoming Jennifer Tommy Motola in her acting career!

12K11,426
                                    Contributor
                                    12K11,426

Aug 10, 2016#18

Yaaasss I've wanted her to make a movie about her for the longest time! I am so fascinated with this woman's life and I'm so glad it's with HBO. She better sink her teeth into this and get some awards/nominations.

Contributor

Aug 10, 2016#19

OMFG YES THANK GOD A NEW MOVIE THIS IS GONNA BE AMAZING

Doctor of Jenology

Aug 10, 2016#20

I've never been more excited about a new project from her lately. I hope that her acting will be as good as El Cantante, if not better!
                                          Maybe EMMY-lo, GoldenGlobe-lo, even Oscar-lo is coming soon!

Aug 10, 2016#21

Confirmed:

Doctor of Jenology

Aug 10, 2016#22

Yes she got it so fucking happy right now! Well deserved.

Doctor of Jenology

Aug 10, 2016#23

Yasss. Movie-lo, actor-lo, acclaim-lo!!! :rockon

I hope we get a great director and script. I want it to be gritty and vulgar. And omg jen is gonna get the Leo treatment like he did in Edgar (?) That movie where he used prosthetics and a fat suit :woot

12K1,502
                                                Doctor of Jenology
                                                12K1,502

Aug 10, 2016#24

Yessss exciting

14K2,771
                                                  Contributor
                                                  14K2,771

Aug 10, 2016#25

Super exciting
                                                    Love when she plays roles like this

Read more posts (409 remaining)