Jennifer Lopez to Play Drug Lord Griselda Blanco in @HBO TV Movie

All the latest Jennifer Lopez news, pictures, gossip, appearances, etc.
daisylo
Contributor
Contributor

by daisylo, Aug 10th, 2016, 3:33 pm

:woot
Good that it's for HBO but no director yet so we'll see they have Rick Yorn as a producer he has a good resume and Alex Pettyfer as an executive producer ? that's random but explain his presence at one of her vegas show.

The 'Shades of Blue' star will also executive produce the TV movie.
Jennifer Lopez is headed for HBO.

The star of NBC's Shades of Blue is set to topline and exec produce an untitled TV movie revolving around late drug lord Griselda Blanco, The Hollywood Reporter has learned.

The film, which is in development, focuses on the rise and fall of Blanco, the notorious drug lord known as "The Cocaine Godmother" who revolutionized the U.S. drug trade during the 1970s and 1980s and became the most powerful female cartel member of all time.

Lopez will star and exec produce via her Nuyorican Productions alongside company topper Elaine Goldsmith-Thomas, the singer-actress' manager, Benny Medina, as well as LBI Entertainment's Julie and Rick Yorn. Alex Pettyfer will co-exec produce alongside Nuyorican's Priscilla Porianda and LBI's Patrick Walmsley. Actor Pettyfer is attached only as a co-EP and it's unclear if he will have any on-screen role in the movie.

"I’ve been fascinated by the life of this corrupt and complicated woman for many years,” Lopez said. “The idea of teaming with HBO felt like the perfect fit for finally bringing Griselda’s story to life.”

For Lopez, the HBO movie comes as production on season two of NBC drama Shades of Blue, which she also exec produces. The singer-actress has been making a major TV push of late with Nuyorican also behind Freeform's critical darling The Fosters.

For HBO, the movie marks the premium cable network's latest star-driven take following its Emmy-nominated Anita Hill entry Confirmation with Kerry Washington and Bryan Cranston's All the Way.

The HBO also arrives as USA Network has found success with its female-driven drug kingpin drama Queen of the South, which was partially inspired by Blanco's story.

Blanco was killed in Colombia in September 2012. She was the subject of documentary feature Cocaine Cowboys and allegedly gunned down her first two husbands. She is said to have trafficked 300 kilos of cocaine per month during the height of her operation and became a multi-millionaire several times over during her 40s and is said to have ordered dozens of murders in order to keep her place at the top of Miami's gangster heap. She was arrested in 1985 and sentenced to almost two decades in a U.S. prison before being deported and, by reported accounts, going on to live a quiet life in Colombia's second-largest city, which has its own reputation as a favorite home-base for drug kingpins and cartels.

Lopez is repped by CAA, Medina and Hirsch Wallerstein.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-f ... ord-918749
chrisjlover
Bachelor of Jenology

by chrisjlover, Aug 10th, 2016, 3:39 pm

daisylo wrote:https://twitter.com/THR/status/763457562616352769

:woot

Good that it's for HBO but no director yet so we'll see, and Alex Pettyfer as an executive producer ? that's random but explain his presence at one of her vegas show.

The 'Shades of Blue' star will also executive produce the TV movie.
Jennifer Lopez is headed for HBO.

The star of NBC's Shades of Blue is set to topline and exec produce an untitled TV movie revolving around late drug lord Griselda Blanco, The Hollywood Reporter has learned.

The film, which is in development, focuses on the rise and fall of Blanco, the notorious drug lord known as "The Cocaine Godmother" who revolutionized the U.S. drug trade during the 1970s and 1980s and became the most powerful female cartel member of all time.

Lopez will star and exec produce via her Nuyorican Productions alongside company topper Elaine Goldsmith-Thomas, the singer-actress' manager, Benny Medina, as well as LBI Entertainment's Julie and Rick Yorn. Alex Pettyfer will co-exec produce alongside Nuyorican's Priscilla Porianda and LBI's Patrick Walmsley. Actor Pettyfer is attached only as a co-EP and it's unclear if he will have any on-screen role in the movie.

"I’ve been fascinated by the life of this corrupt and complicated woman for many years,” Lopez said. “The idea of teaming with HBO felt like the perfect fit for finally bringing Griselda’s story to life.”

For Lopez, the HBO movie comes as production on season two of NBC drama Shades of Blue, which she also exec produces. The singer-actress has been making a major TV push of late with Nuyorican also behind Freeform's critical darling The Fosters.

For HBO, the movie marks the premium cable network's latest star-driven take following its Emmy-nominated Anita Hill entry Confirmation with Kerry Washington and Bryan Cranston's All the Way.

The HBO also arrives as USA Network has found success with its female-driven drug kingpin drama Queen of the South, which was partially inspired by Blanco's story.

Blanco was killed in Colombia in September 2012. She was the subject of documentary feature Cocaine Cowboys and allegedly gunned down her first two husbands. She is said to have trafficked 300 kilos of cocaine per month during the height of her operation and became a multi-millionaire several times over during her 40s and is said to have ordered dozens of murders in order to keep her place at the top of Miami's gangster heap. She was arrested in 1985 and sentenced to almost two decades in a U.S. prison before being deported and, by reported accounts, going on to live a quiet life in Colombia's second-largest city, which has its own reputation as a favorite home-base for drug kingpins and cartels.

Lopez is repped by CAA, Medina and Hirsch Wallerstein.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-f ... ord-918749

If it's true, it looks REALLY interesting. The right role during SoB, to make critics take her seriously.
Mille Backer
Master of Jenology

by Mille Backer, Aug 10th, 2016, 3:46 pm

I hope she gets her blood in this movie!
daisylo
Contributor
Contributor

by daisylo, Aug 10th, 2016, 3:49 pm

She's probably gonna film this next March/April !

She's not gonna gain weight for it but I hope she'll still really transform herself for the role.
JenRox
Admin
Admin

by JenRox, Aug 10th, 2016, 3:50 pm

Super excited about this! That should be fascinating to watch.
jennylover83
Intro to Jenology

by jennylover83, Aug 10th, 2016, 3:51 pm

Yes. The good thing about no more Idol is that she gets to do stuff like this! I just know she'll kill it in this role. Can't wait to find out about the director and cast. Hopefully Steven Soderbergh! :love2
emilin
Doctor of Jenology

by emilin, Aug 10th, 2016, 3:52 pm

:woot :woot
WOW
JFan
Intermediate Jenology

by JFan, Aug 10th, 2016, 3:53 pm

Remember she was trying to play her in "Cocaine Cowboys" with Mark Wahlberg a few years back? Guess the movie never got made. Great news!
timmyd2121
Admin
Admin

by timmyd2121, Aug 10th, 2016, 3:55 pm

This is awesome news!!
daisylo
Contributor
Contributor

by daisylo, Aug 10th, 2016, 3:56 pm

jennylover83 wrote:Yes. The good thing about no more Idol is that she gets to do stuff like this! I just know she'll kill it in this role. Can't wait to find out about the director and cast. Hopefully Steven Soderbergh! :love2

that would be a dream and get Oscar Isaac in the cast :D
Luka711
Doctor of Jenology

by Luka711, Aug 10th, 2016, 4:11 pm

Should be a great role for Jen !
J
Doctor of Jenology

by J, Aug 10th, 2016, 4:11 pm

Yesss!!!! :woot

Hopefully it wil be in Spanish (but probably not).

Do they already have a script? :interesting
nixy1991
Doctor of Jenology

by nixy1991, Aug 10th, 2016, 4:14 pm

I'm gonna die :woot This is SUCH an interesting role!

PLEASE get a good director, PLEASEEE
CosTaSsSs
Doctor of Jenology

by CosTaSsSs, Aug 10th, 2016, 4:19 pm

Let this be true!!!!
nixy1991
Doctor of Jenology

by nixy1991, Aug 10th, 2016, 4:27 pm

She better do her research, don't be slacking Jennifer!

And OMG Jen with a butt chin. :lol The make-up department has their work cut out for them. lol
atheros
Intermediate Jenology

by atheros, Aug 10th, 2016, 4:43 pm

DominicanPapiBlaze
Contributor
Contributor

by DominicanPapiBlaze, Aug 10th, 2016, 4:45 pm

This is great news for Jennifer.! Awesome alliance with HBO plus she's producing it! I believe she really is her best when she plays someone else, not just a given character for example (Selena, Puchi in El Cantante).

I need her company to allow a big budget for this. We already know that the promo will be on point like TBND. I hope she does do her research because to me she's been trying to get this role for a while now so it must be a passionate project. Shes deff went ahead Mark Wahlberg putting this on paper and out to the public. I wonder where is his movie standing (Anyone has info on it?)

Plus, I hope its really raw with the husband killings and dramatization of Griselda, (Curse some bitches out Jennifer!) . I want her to allow herself to get dirty and really divorce from the Jennifer Lopez the comedy actress. With HBO she can really expose a more raw and serious side of her. This enforces her view of a serious actress by the critics and more importantly she has two possibilities for awards nomination along with SOB season 2 or 3 like Kerry Washington with Scandal and Confirmation. I just need to have a good TEAM/CO STARS! and that's a WIN! Thanks Elaine for becoming Jennifer Tommy Motola in her acting career!
Crazy4JenL
Contributor
Contributor

by Crazy4JenL, Aug 10th, 2016, 4:45 pm

Yaaasss I've wanted her to make a movie about her for the longest time! I am so fascinated with this woman's life and I'm so glad it's with HBO. She better sink her teeth into this and get some awards/nominations.
JLOFANCHRIS
Contributor
Contributor

by JLOFANCHRIS, Aug 10th, 2016, 4:49 pm

OMFG YES THANK GOD A NEW MOVIE THIS IS GONNA BE AMAZING
chrisjlover
Bachelor of Jenology

by chrisjlover, Aug 10th, 2016, 4:53 pm

I've never been more excited about a new project from her lately. I hope that her acting will be as good as El Cantante, if not better!
Maybe EMMY-lo, GoldenGlobe-lo, even Oscar-lo is coming soon!
chrisjlover
Bachelor of Jenology

by chrisjlover, Aug 10th, 2016, 4:59 pm

Confirmed:
Taina Mia
Doctor of Jenology

by Taina Mia, Aug 10th, 2016, 5:00 pm

Yes she got it so fucking happy right now! Well deserved.
juniorsega
Master of Jenology

by juniorsega, Aug 10th, 2016, 5:02 pm

Yasss. Movie-lo, actor-lo, acclaim-lo!!! :rockon

I hope we get a great director and script. I want it to be gritty and vulgar. And omg jen is gonna get the Leo treatment like he did in Edgar (?) That movie where he used prosthetics and a fat suit :woot
selena lopez
Doctor of Jenology

by selena lopez, Aug 10th, 2016, 5:03 pm

Yessss exciting
masc86
Contributor
Contributor

by masc86, Aug 10th, 2016, 5:20 pm

Super exciting
Love when she plays roles like this

Return to “General Discussion”