Lila & Eve - discussion post; out now. Spoilers

Lila & Eve - discussion post; out now. Spoilers

Bachelor of Jenology

Jul 17, 2015#1

Now that the movie is released lets talk about how amazing this movie is. I'm so pissed that this didn't get a wide release.

Although I can see why they wouldn't release it wide. It sends a strong message. I guess you can say the wrong message about revenge and taking matters into your own hands. Especially with everything going on with cops killing civilians. And a lot of the gang violence out there.

Jennifer's and violas acting was incredible. I hope this gets some kind of acknowledgment.

14K2,614
    Doctor of Jenology
    14K2,614

Jul 17, 2015#2

its ON DEMAND with Subtitles availables?

14K6,346
      Contributor
      14K6,346

Jul 17, 2015#3

^ no I don't think they have subs.

watching it this afternoon.

Contributor

Jul 17, 2015#4

trying to buy it on amazon but apparently I have to use US Credit Card :( I'm in NZ

Doctor of Jenology

Jul 17, 2015#5

THAT MOVIE WAS PERFECT. JLo's acting was lovely

Contributor

Jul 17, 2015#6

On iTunes, they have closed captioning. :)

23K5,924
              Doctor of Jenology
              23K5,924

Jul 17, 2015#7

Just saw it.

I'm gonna need a moment to collect my thoughts...

13K1,207
                Doctor of Jenology
                13K1,207

Jul 17, 2015#8

Not available in my country yet :(

Doctor of Jenology

Jul 17, 2015#9

I liked it because the film and also her acting was something different. The plot twist was interesting. I just don't like it when she whispers a lot when acting.

I am upset that we don't have any other films to look forward to. :( At least we have SOB!

Jul 17, 2015#10

nixy1991 wrote:Just saw it.

I'm gonna need a moment to collect my thoughts...
                      Can't wait to read your review :)

Bachelor of Jenology

Jul 17, 2015#11

Down to 39% on RT .

23K5,924
                        Doctor of Jenology
                        23K5,924

Jul 17, 2015#12

There's a possibility I'll feel differently upon second viewing, but for now...

It's a weird one. On one hand, I appreciate the off-beat approach this movie takes. It feels very disjointed and odd throughout, which would be a bad thing in any other case, but I like the unfocused vibe the movie gives off. On the other hand, however, it's a real shame that the movie fails to make any kind of profound commentary on this kind of violence, and also, go even deeper into this woman's psyche, spend more time with her at the beginning of the film and not only lightly touch on what's torturing her so much, but make us feel it as well, no matter how nasty that may be (this would add another 10 minutes to the film, which I think it would benefit from).

Viola crushes it in this movie. She really is one of the most talented actors working today, and it's wonderful seeing her in any movie that gives her room to show off her chops. She's simply incredible.

That being said, I think the far trickier role falls on Jennifer's shoulders. She doesn't only have to play a figment of somebody's imagination, but has to make that character her own, give her depth, and also play it relatively vague so it wouldn't be over the top and obnoxious. She knocks it out of her park. This is honestly the best work she's done since El Cantante, and I think it actually tops her performance in that, because chewing up the scenery is a much easier task to accomplish than being quietly determined, but also going completely balistic when the opportunity shows itself. (Look out for the subtle mannerisms she adopted from Viola)

Couple things I appreciated about The Boy Next Door was how good it looked and sounded, despite being made on a shoestring budget. You'll get none of that here. The cinematography is at times pretty good, and the score sometimes goes from perfunctory to experimental, but other than that, there's not much here to be amazed by. This is a $5 million budget movie that looks and sounds like a $5 million budget movie. Visually there's nothing here you won't get in a Lifetime Original Movie, but what a Lifetime Original Movie doesn't have is two incredibly talented actors fully commited to the roles they're playing.

In conclusion, I'm glad Jennifer did this film. It's not a major addition to her filmography (Viola's either) It's a great performance, opposite a great actress in a film that doesn't quite deserve these two talented actors. This is a movie that definitely won't do Jennifer's film career any damage, but she won't benefit from it, either, unless some big shot director sees it and says 'Hey, I totally forgot Jennifer Lopez is a genuinely great actress. I am going to cast her in my next film' (I'm looking at you, Christopher Nolan & Steven Spielberg).

BTW, keep an eye out for breathing corpses. It's ridiculous.

ABBC3_SPOILER_SHOW

Bachelor of Jenology

Jul 17, 2015#13

Any chance to get GG or Oscar nomination?

23K5,924
                            Doctor of Jenology
                            23K5,924

Jul 17, 2015#14

Love_JLO wrote:Any chance to get GG or Oscar nomination?
                              Yes, but not for this film. :lol

14K6,346
                              Contributor
                              14K6,346

Jul 17, 2015#15

^ 0 chances

The movie biggest wickness was the script the story is interesting but it's badly written unfortunately, the direction was ok I agree that the cinematography didn't look good it looked much cheaper than TBND but at the end it's a better movie the performances is what I loved Viola is just amazing you really feel her pain and Jen I knew about the twist so I don't know how I would have perceived her performance if I hadn't but i loved her here, I can be really critical toward her because I know what she capable of and she really showed it here she never played a character like Eve it really was complex and she did perfectly.
                                Overall I enjoyed it but like I said mostly for the performances I also really like the actor playing Viola's youngest son.

Bachelor of Jenology

Jul 17, 2015#16

I think GG or Oscar depends on performances mostly not film,just Still Alice.
                                  I dreamed about all day Jen will get GG or Oscar even a Supporting Actress.

Intro to Jenology

Jul 17, 2015#17

I just watched the movie and I'm beyond proud of Jen. Her performance was simply amazing, specially knowing that this role wasn't the easiest one. She's a really great actress and I'm happy she gets to show it better in this :heart

23K5,924
                                    Doctor of Jenology
                                    23K5,924

Jul 17, 2015#18

The last scene they have together after Lila figures out what's going on. :bow Jen KILLED it.

14K6,346
                                      Contributor
                                      14K6,346

Jul 17, 2015#19

Love_JLO wrote:I think GG or Oscar depends on performances mostly not film,just Still Alice.
                                        I dreamed about all day Jen will get GG or Oscar even a Supporting Actress.
                                        depend of the actress if it's one that has been nominated before and is respected the movie doesn't have to be great but it's still helps a lot also when the movie is released too better be at the end of the year and Still Alice is a bad example it got pretty good reviews 83% on RT even 93% from Top critics

Bachelor of Jenology

Jul 17, 2015#20

You're right.
                                          Jen did't get nomination before,and it also has a "BAD" release date.

23K5,924
                                          Doctor of Jenology
                                          23K5,924

Jul 17, 2015#21

Who else loved the ending BTW? When Lila is in her car driving away with her son, she starts singing the Pretty Little Dutch Girl nursery rhyme and it's like a piece of Eve is still with her. That was so well done.

14K6,346
                                            Contributor
                                            14K6,346

Jul 17, 2015#22

^ yeah I liked it, I though she was gonna show up in that scene :p

Intro to Jenology

Jul 17, 2015#23

nixy1991 wrote:Who else loved the ending BTW? When Lila is in her car driving away with her son, she starts singing the Pretty Little Dutch Girl nursery rhyme and it's like a piece of Eve is still with her. That was so well done.
                                                loved it!!

Doctor of Jenology

Jul 17, 2015#24

Just watched it. It was ok but nothing mind blowing. For me it was all over the place, but Jens acting was amazing!

Jul 17, 2015#25

nixy1991 wrote:
                                                    Love_JLO wrote:Any chance to get GG or Oscar nomination?
                                                    Yes, but not for this film. :lol

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Read more posts (109 remaining)