YOUR OPINION of J.LO's ACTING in 'TBND'

YOUR OPINION of J.LO's ACTING in 'TBND'

Master of Jenology

Jan 27, 2015#1

IF you have an opinion about J.Lo's acting in TBND and wish to participate , please do so asap ! - - Thanks

What did you think of J.Lo's 'Boy Next Door'? Time to play Monday Morning "Movie Critic"

NOLA.com

Jennifer Lopez stars in director Rob Cohen's psychological thriller 'The Boy Next Door.' (Suzanne Hanover/Universal Pictures)

Reddit
    What did you think of J.Lo's 'Boy Next Door'? Time to play Monday Morning Movie Critic -

The tables were turned this weekend on Jennifer Lopez. While the multi-hyphenate entertainer has been making her living lately as a judge on Fox's tuneful reality-show stalwart "American Idol," the nation's movie critics were the ones playing judge this past weekend.

Lopez's psychological thriller "The Boy Next Door" -- which she stars in and executive-produced -- landed in theaters nationwide on Friday, and she could only stand by and watch as critics' verdicts were delivered. It must have been an uncomfortable weekend for her.

Box-office wise, "The Boy Next Door" performed up to expectations, earning some $15 million in its initial frame. That was good enough for it to finish atop all new releases, even if it was far short of challenging the $64.4 million earned by "American Sniper" in its second week of release.

Critically, though, it was a far different story. Not only did Lopez's film notch a lowly 11 percent approval rating based on 80 reviews compiled by Rotten Tomatoes, but reviews regularly included such adjectives as "shameless," "abysmal" and "uninspired" (along with such nouns as "junk," "dreck" and "hot mess of a train wreck").

Now's your chance to weigh in and play Monday Morning Movie Critic. Did you see "The Boy Next Door" over the weekend? If so, what did you think? Are the critics being too hard on her -- or are they not being hard enough?

Cast your vote in our reader poll below, then expound on your thoughts in the comments section at the bottom of this post. There is only (1) Question, With (5) options to choose from.{color=#B4080]

Reader reviews: What's your take on 'The Boy Next Door'?
    I’ve seen it and I would recommend it.
    I’ve seen it and I wouldn’t recommend it.
    I haven’t seen it, but I probably will.
    I haven’t seen it, and I plan to skip it.
    I’m undecided.
    Vote
    View Results

Contributor

Jan 27, 2015#2

It was one of her worst moments on the big screen. She took 10 steps back in her film career with this movie. Bring back Puchi, Selena, Sharon Pogue. Stop with the predictable movies, take notes and learn from Ben Affleck. Fire her "Yes" team that said this would be a great movie to do.

12K588
      Doctor of Jenology
      12K588

Jan 27, 2015#3

I haven't watched it yet but it looks like once again her acting wasn't the problem for anyone in this one. From what i read she must've been solid. It may not be an acting highlight of her career but i think it is in the right direction of her being a bankable actress and so being considered by studios etc. I hope it pays off and gives her the opportunity to go after better and deeper roles.

Contributor

Jan 27, 2015#4

Her acting wasn't bad. It was pretty decent in this movie, but the script was pretty bad. I enjoyed the movie a lot, just wish the ending didn't end so abruptly and it left me wanting more. People are making it seem like a horrible film when it isn't. It's just a movie you don't take that seriously as somethint like an Oscar-nominated film.

Intro to Jenology

Jan 27, 2015#5

Aesthetics aside, she was okay, good in some parts. If you take the film for what it is, harmless entertainment, you'd appreciate what she did with it.

Master of Jenology

Jan 27, 2015#6

you're feeding the trolls with this thread.

Bachelor of Jenology

Jan 27, 2015#7

can't we just enjoy the moment :( :( really :argh

why don't we just dissect/take Jlo apart piece by piece...really sometimes this is not a fansite :evil:

Jlo did a great job with what she had to work with, a low budget film with a low rent story that if Jlo was not in it I would not have gone to see it.

However Jlo made it fun she made you believe in the character she did good with what she had.

I know all of us want Jlo to have an amazing script a la (out of sight) (selena) (mi familia) this was not that, but until that time comes I am just going to enjoy my girl on the big screen in a room full of people who also enjoyed it.

It was a popcorn thriller ...Jlo took a below par novella and made much more then what it really should have been she added a sparkle and even heart that made you gasp and scream .... :cool:

really everyone was having fun (because you know I was looking at everyone's reaction) :smile:

when we left the movies I was happy not only because Jlo did a good job but because everyone was laughing and smiling because they enjoyed it . :smile:

Master of Jenology

Jan 27, 2015#8

RuRuLoVesJLO wrote:It was one of her worst moments on the big screen. She took 10 steps back in her film career with this movie. Bring back Puchi, Selena, Sharon Pogue. Stop with the predictable movies, take notes and learn from Ben Affleck. Fire her "Yes" team that said this would be a great movie to do.
                  Questions like these feed assholes like this one . This betch never misses a chance to spread his hate towards Jennifer. NOT one word in any of his comments could be taken as constructive criticism.

Jan 27, 2015#9

This question is like asking your dentists to fix your back.

Bachelor of Jenology

Jan 28, 2015#10

djsable303 wrote:This question is like asking your dentists to fix your back.
                      OMG :lol: :lol:

Intro to Jenology

Jan 28, 2015#11

As a child, watching Jennifer on-screen was definitely one of the biggest inspirations for me to pursue my career as a professional actor. I grew up going to opening weekends of the likes of The Cell, Angel Eyes, An Unfinished Life, El Cantante, (when 'Bordertown' got put on a pretty long hold from release I learned how to find movies online, shamelessly).

When she got The Boy Next Door, I was not expecting an Oscar-pursuit. I just wanted some great movie star moments, and to see my Queen look amazing in a shameless, campy 80s/90s-esque erotic thriller.

Some humble thoughts, even though I do not consider my opinions be-all/end-all. I'm still a young actor pushing 30, and a long-time fan:

--I really, really dislike Claire Peterson. After watching countless interviews about how 'relatable' this character is...how about a couple more dimensions? This character wallows in self-pity the entire flick and never manages to pull herself by the bootstraps and take control of the situation.
                        --When Noah calls her a whore, she makes no attempt to imply a raising of the stakes and instead chooses mild discontent as her reaction.
                        --Every decision she makes is a decision to be a victim, and excuses her behavior over and over again with the word "vulnerable" being used at least four times. "Vulnerable" is something that is prescribed to characters, characters do not prescribe themselves as such.
                        --Her naivete is eye-rolling when Ryan Guzman makes no attempts to mask the fact that his character obviously has alterior motives when she tries to make a peace-offering. She LAUGHS OFF the things he's done, when the stakes have already been raised WAY past the point of laughing anything off.
                        --One of the biggest disappointments in the film is her going to the house to confront Noah. Which is awesome. What is not awesome is her fairly weak argument of why they will never be together, his ridiculous response, AND THEN THE CHOICE TO GO 'this is crazy' AND TRY TO LEAVE. WHAT?!?!?! If I've learned ANYTHING about acting, it's WHAT IS KEEPING YOU IN THE ROOM WITH THE OTHER CHARACTER. She hasn't conquered anything, and she thinks it's best to leave? Nothing's been remedied, you haven't even completely made your case or tried hard AT ALL to get Noah to see things from your perspective. I get that we give up easily in life, but it sure makes for boring character work.
                        --I remember the actress that fought for the life of her child in the river way back in Mi Familia. I'm hate to say this, but with the choices Jennifer makes now, that baby's gonna drown in Claire's care. Particularly with how often she lets herself get tossed about through this tumultuous river Noah puts her through.
                        <<<SPOILER>>>
                        Even in the final moments of the film, she chooses chaos over calculation...damsel-in-distress over woman-on-top, and triumphs only through happenstance...and doesn't seem to learn anything, instead feeling rightfully punished for her impure actions.

Sorry dudes.

I was IMMENSELY entertained by the camp of this film, and I'll watch it anytime it's on. (Unlike 'Parker', which couldn't have been less exciting of film...despite a pretty interesting portrayal of Leslie Rodgers). But as for acting, this is on my bottom 5 :-\

12K11,431
                        Contributor
                        12K11,431

Jan 28, 2015#12

I thought her acting was good in this movie, better than in others. She had some really good moments.

Master of Jenology

Jan 28, 2015#13

I saw "The Boy Next Door" and i gave it a 5.5 to a 6 for Effort. It may sound harsh but i felt while watching this movie was just so predictable. I am very disappointed out of all the BlumHouse Franchise of Thriller films they Slept on this one. Then again i can't blame them for picking up a Independent Movie that has "Jennifer Lopez" name on it and Stamp it as there own. I only jump in a few parts but i feel like Jen Acting has not made me believe in her in versatility it was flat.

The reason why Critics are so Harsh on her is Cause that the general public don't see her as a Actress which I don't blame them. She more of a Entertainer. I prefer her as a artist. Then again she not bad Actress she got some Acting chops it the type of scripts and role she choose. Especially she always rely on her looks that make people watch. She has not done a film where it was out of her element. That why no one can't take her serious.

Only Movies critically claim was Selena and Monster In Law got life due to Jane Fonda return to movies since she was away for years. Plus Maid In Manhatten was a good movie. Plus Shall We Dance was so her.

All and all congrats it banked Money but how many movies do well on Jan i have my own opinion and it just did not do it for me. It was like watching "Basic Instinct","Fatal Attraction" all over again with the roles reversed and more Eye Candy.

Intermediate Jenology

Jan 28, 2015#14

I thought it was good. At first, it felt slightly cheesy at the beginning when she was going through her breakup and talking to Kristin's character but it got better after Ryan Guzman came in.

Obvi, its not an oscar award winning role, lol, but she played the character well and I enjoyed her in the movie.

Contributor

Jan 29, 2015#15

djsable303 wrote:
                                RuRuLoVesJLO wrote:It was one of her worst moments on the big screen. She took 10 steps back in her film career with this movie. Bring back Puchi, Selena, Sharon Pogue. Stop with the predictable movies, take notes and learn from Ben Affleck. Fire her "Yes" team that said this would be a great movie to do.
                                Questions like these feed assholes like this one . This betch never misses a chance to spread his hate towards Jennifer. NOT one word in any of his comments could be taken as constructive criticism.

Hate? I love Puchi, I love Selena, I love Sharon Pogue, I love Lauren Adrian, Gertrude was cute, Paulina was interesting, I loved Young Maria too. The rest of her typical Rom-Com characters are boring and she needs to move away from that. There's so many areas to go in when it comes to film, but she's stuck on love.

Master of Jenology

Jan 29, 2015#16

RuRuLoVesJLO wrote:
                                  djsable303 wrote:

Hate? I love Puchi, I love Selena, I love Sharon Pogue, I love Lauren Adrian, Gertrude was cute, Paulina was interesting, I loved Young Maria too. The rest of her typical Rom-Com characters are boring and she needs to move away from that. There's so many areas to go in when it comes to film, but she's stuck on love.
                                  Name one positive thing you ever posted on one thread without being condescending trhu out the tread.

Contributor

Jan 29, 2015#17

djsable303 wrote:
                                    RuRuLoVesJLO wrote:
                                    djsable303 wrote:

Name one positive thing you ever posted on one thread without being condescending trhu out the tread.

You stalk all my posts, and stay coming for me, who the fuck are you?

Stick to the subject on these posts. If you don't like an opinion, then keep it moving or do what everyone else does and cry to the admins. All my posts are related to the subject posted for each thread, so hop off me.

Master of Jenology

Jan 29, 2015#18

RuRuLoVesJLO wrote:
                                      djsable303 wrote:
                                      RuRuLoVesJLO wrote:
                                      djsable303 wrote: Questions like these feed assholes like this one . This betch never misses a chance to spread his hate towards Jennifer. NOT one word in any of his comments could be taken as constructive criticism.

Stick to the subject on these posts. If you don't like an opinion, then keep it moving or do what everyone else does and cry to the admins. All my posts are related to the subject posted for each thread, so hop off me.
                                      Excuse you!!! but you Don't post opinions let's get that straight. You post ignorant comments like your shit Dont stank, and that's bashing,
                                      And guess what!!! Whatever so call ignorant opinion's you and the other minions in here have I will have one for each and everyone of you. So cry me a river.

PS. Dont worry about who I am.

Master of Jenology

Jan 29, 2015#19

Intermediate Jenology

Jan 29, 2015#20

Guess who I am ?

Jan 29, 2015#21

BlowAway wrote:
                                            Lol :D

Jan 29, 2015#22

djsable303 wrote:
                                              RuRuLoVesJLO wrote:
                                              djsable303 wrote:
                                              RuRuLoVesJLO wrote: Hate? I love Puchi, I love Selena, I love Sharon Pogue, I love Lauren Adrian, Gertrude was cute, Paulina was interesting, I loved Young Maria too. The rest of her typical Rom-Com characters are boring and she needs to move away from that. There's so many areas to go in when it comes to film, but she's stuck on love.

Excuse you!!! but you Don't post opinions let's get that straight. You post ignorant comments like your shit Dont stank, and that's bashing,
                                              And guess what!!! Whatever so call ignorant opinion's you and the other minions in here have I will have one for each and everyone of you. So cry me a river.

PS. Dont worry about who I am.
                                              Awe guys don't fight it makes me sad :( love one another let's forgive and forget :love2