[BBvideo 716,428][/BBvideo]

Jan 04, 2015#28

Bachelor of Jenology

Jan 04, 2015#29

juniorsega wrote:
          lover06 wrote:
          juniorsega wrote:Well AKA was the worst album of 2014 (according to metacritic) that doesn't seem in any way like a progression. Even though I think they are severely wrong. Like Love? is higher but that album is trash and then some. She needs that #1 movie this month (wishful thinking) an acclaimed one later (lila & Eve) and release solid singles and album this year (if she plans to) to turn all that floppage around. We know all it takes is one great album or movie to turn everything around and get those great movie roles coming.
          She needs to REinvent herself Music wise and as an actress she needs a great movie/role!

here is a very good article from Billboard about her Music career and in general, I agree with most of what they said:

With a lackluster sales debut for her latest album, Lopez should consider a musical makeover.
          By Jason Lipshutz, N.Y. | June 30, 2014 4:00 PM EDT

Jennifer Lopez is an icon. We knew that long before she won the Icon Award last month. But musically, Lopez sounds trapped in a different era.

Her eighth studio album, "A.K.A.," starts on this week's Billboard 200 albums chart with 33,000 copies sold, according to Nielsen SoundScan -- good for a No. 8 debut, but not good for an artist who relentlessly promoted her first new project in three years. "A.K.A." includes guest spots from Rick Ross, T.I. and Iggy Azalea, on songs that sound derivative of Lopez hits from last decade ("Worry No More," for instance, sounds like the "Ain't It Funny" remix, but with Auto-tune). "First Love," the glitzy single co-produced by Max Martin, starts out as a promising pop confessional focused on Lopez's misfortune in romance, but the combustible hook it wants to flaunt is not present.

In many ways, the Lopez empire is booming, with film projects, wireless stores, an autobiography, fragrances and fashion endeavors offsetting a shrug-worthy album launch. "I Luh Ya Papi," the lead single from "A.K.A.," came nowhere near the Top 10 of the Hot 100... but with Kohl's, Nuvo TV,Viva Movil and ABC Family's "The Fosters" all keeping Lopez busy, it's hard to imagine that chart stat really stinging. In her recent cover story for Billboard, Lopez was asked about her place in the pop stratosphere, and said, "I don't feel like I have anything to prove anymore." Even if "A.K.A." sounds like an unnecessary power play for commercial relevance, maybe she didn't flinch when those first-week sales came out.

But Lopez, an artist with a bulletproof greatest-hits compilation, does not necessarily have to put music on the back burner -- she just has to evolve her sound. Surprisingly, Lopez's voice sounds markedly more powerful on "A.K.A." than it has on recent albums: "Emotions," a ballad co-written by Chris Brown, oscillates between full-throated crooning and sassy name-taking, while "Let It Be Me" finds Lopez quivering, "But when they ask/Who was the one? Who did you love? Let it be me," with impressive restraint. Throughout her career, Lopez's greatest strengths have been dancing and churning out dance music. However, the ballads on "A.K.A." hint at a sweeping musical direction that Lopez has typically relegated to the back of her albums, as a supplement to her uptempo spectacles. Perhaps it's time to move it front and center.

Why not aim for a more thoughtful sound with producers like The-Dream & Tricky Stewart, James Fauntleroy and Harmony Samuels (the latter of whom co-produced "Let It Be Me")? Write a heartbreak album riddled with self-empowerment anthems, and embrace the artistic progression already made by artists like Cher, Mary J. Blige and Tina Turner. Lopez is a very different singer than Mariah Carey, but her blueprint should be something like 2005's "The Emancipation of Mimi" -- an album anchored by sleek, breathy ballads like "We Belong Together" and "Shake It Off," and a pivotal moment for Carey's commercial comeback. Carey currently has her own issues with relevancy, but "The Emancipation of Mimi" was one of the more impressive pop returns of the 2000s, and effectively wiped away the doubts caused by her "Glitter"/"Charmbracelet" phase.

Carey is also among several pop divas to prove that ballads can rule the airwaves when properly executed -- "#Beautiful" was a Top 20 hit a year ago, after all -- and a whole lot of people are still singing along to John Legend's "All Of Me" this summer. A song like "Let It Be Me" on "A.K.A." proves that, if Lopez finds the right production partners, she can serve up slower material that can measure up to the best balladeers' work. And if a vocals-driven project doesn't sell, Lopez still has that multi-media empire to fall back on. More likely, she'll will praise for showing off her voice in a more demonstrative way, and for taking the risk of rearranging her style.

From a commercial standpoint, something's got to give for Lopez. The lackluster start for "A.K.A." is actually the latest in a string of deflated beginnings: Lopez's 2011 LP "Love?" debuted with 83,000 copies sold, according to Nielsen SoundScan, despite including the Top 5 smash "On The Floor" and arriving when the singer was more visible than ever, thanks to her first "American Idol" stint. The album before that, 2008's "Brave," did not include a smash hit, and debuted with 53,000 copies sold. Lopez may simply be a veteran pop star with declining album sales -- there are a lot of those around, and no one needs to mock them. But a personality like Lopez also has enough cultural capital to survive a string of misfires and come back with her profile intact. "I Luh Ya Papi" was another fun, weightless radio offering from Lopez, and it didn't work at Top 40. If Lopez really wants to reclaim pop fans' attention, it might be time to turn down the French Montana collaborations and enter what Beyonce might call her 'Grown Woman Phase.'

The 33,000-copy sales debut of "A.K.A." represents a crossroads moment for a superstar who's about to turn 45. Lopez is right when she says that she doesn't have anything more to prove, but her sound needs to develop alongside the rest of her professional life. J.Lo needs to own that far-reaching brand, acknowledge that her fans have grown up too, and give them the adult album they want to hear.
          Mhmm I agree with everything except bringing ballads to the forefront on her albums. Because as much as people would like to dream Jen will never be known for her ballads. But I don't think Jen has it in her to create adult oriented music. With 3 consecutive albums dealing with the same arguments (dated, generic, filler, basic lyrics etc..) and what 10 years now and its still the same complaint and critique fans and critics make you would think Jen would quickly try to fix but she hasn't. I want mature lyrics, descriptive recordings of her life, not vague and ambiguous pop songs of how she still believes in love.

Yeah, me too, I agree with most of it except the part about ballads, .. people expect fun/dance tracks from Jenn, not ballads, .. I mean she is not Mariah, general public expect more ballads from Carey!

Jan 04, 2015#30

Lucy19 wrote:
            Lucy19 wrote:
            Mhmm I agree with everything except bringing ballads to the forefront on her albums. Because as much as people would like to dream Jen will never be known for her ballads. But I don't think Jen has it in her to create adult oriented music. With 3 consecutive albums dealing with the same arguments (dated, generic, filler, basic lyrics etc..) and what 10 years now and its still the same complaint and critique fans and critics make you would think Jen would quickly try to fix but she hasn't. I want mature lyrics, descriptive recordings of her life, not vague and ambiguous pop songs of how she still believes in love.
            Jennifer had success when she had hard ass record label bosses Tommy mottola, (LA. Reid, On The Floor)
            She should have little control. When you hear she had her twins picking singles from A.K.A. then you can see problems.[/quote][/quote]

Yeah! .. I was going to say that Jennifer is lost without Tommy Mottola, but 'On the floor' came to my mind .. and now that you mention, you're right she had LA Reid at that time.

So, yeah, she needs someone who put her in the right direction, .. her last 4 albums have been just misfires that didn't have any chance just because she doesn't have the right management and support from Radios right now!

If she was Katy Perry or Rihanna who get all the support from Radios perhaps her singles and albums would be more successful, .. but she lost all the Radio support when Mottola left Sony back in the 2000's.

Contributor

Jan 04, 2015#31

lover06 wrote:
              Lucy19 wrote:
              Lucy19 wrote:
              Jennifer had success when she had hard ass record label bosses Tommy mottola, (LA. Reid, On The Floor)
              She should have little control. When you hear she had her twins picking singles from A.K.A. then you can see problems.
              [/quote]

Yeah! .. I was going to say that Jennifer is lost without Tommy Mottola, but 'On the floor' came to my mind .. and now that you mention, you're right she had LA Reid at that time.

So, yeah, she needs someone who put her in the right direction, .. her last 4 albums have been just misfires that didn't have any chance just because she doesn't have the right management and support from Radios right now!

If she was Katy Perry or Rihanna who get all the support from Radios perhaps her singles and albums would be more successful, .. but she lost all the Radio support when Mottola left Sony back in the 2000's.[/quote]

Amen!!! Jennifer and her "YES" squad are the worst, thanks to Chris Brown making her record a Diplo produced track she had a somewhat hit on her stale mess AKA.

Get rid of Rooney forever, re-hire L.A. Reid, get Diplo to executive produce her next album and then we can really expect a true new Jen-eration

Doctor of Jenology

Jan 05, 2015#32

I want someone tough as nails to manage Jlo's music career. Someone who will say no, this song is trash and has no substance go back in the studio record something better. That's what I feel Mottola was to her career. Telling her these are your singles and that's how its gonna be. She has more control now since she probably funds her own projects but she's surrounded by a yes team.

I remember when I use to stan for Gwen and when she came up with LAMB certain songs had to be rewritten numerous times because the producers or her team were honest with her and told her the verses were weak. Dre told her when she wrote Rich Girl that it was trash and she needed to rewrite everything. It made her want to work harder.Nobody has enough respect for Jen to tell her the truth.

Contributor

Jan 05, 2015#33

It's really not all Jen's fault. The truth is, she's just not first pick for any of the smash singles. They all get sent to Rihanna, Katy, Miley etc ... She's getting all the rejects to choose from.

Doctor of Jenology

Jan 05, 2015#34

Which is why Jen needs to create songs from the ground up and stop relying on pre-existing demos where the song is basically already finished. Hell, hire a writing camp, tell them your direction,and then get those lyrics put through rigorous analysis if she doesn't want to write. Then go in studio and take your ideas of how you want the song to sound like and work with the producer. You'll yield something more heartfelt like this.

12K11,429
                    Contributor
                    12K11,429

Jan 05, 2015#35

Jen is probably more liked as an artist now, but i wouldn't say she is getting respect. Her career is to all over the place and she does to much.

Master of Jenology

Jan 06, 2015#36

Jamie_J wrote:It's the second thread you do to try to make it look like her flops doesn't matter, but it does...
                        Nothing changed, she is still underated and that's her and her team's fault.
                        Get used to it, as it is more likely to release another pitbull collab then a good material to call people's attention.
                        Anyone would say the same about your comments? Do they matter ....no

But I'm sure you think your so cool cause you think you have a brain, in all reality your a hatter and have bash Jennifer at any chance you get

What I Dont get is why have they let you continue with your stupidity is beyond me.

Jan 06, 2015#37

The respect she should receive is from this fourm that is dedicated to her, but she don't event get that here, she works really hard and if "YOU" so call fans know in your hearts that she not meeting your expectations why are you still here? ... I'll tell you why!!! cause your life is so miserable that it makes you happy to bash Jennifer just to make yourself feel better.

If the shoe fits wear it. Cause as far as I'm concerned you bitches have no music career or movie career at that. Your not at her level and who are you to judge?

She has accomplish so much shit that you fools only dream about so stfu with your stupid nagging it's already old.

Read more posts (-13 remaining)