Doctor of Jenology
    26K8,905

Mar 06, 2012#102

Monique Frausto

Creator, Blogs By Latinas

Huffington Post

¡Q'Viva! The Chosen, More than a Talent Competition

Posted: 03/ 6/2012 8:18 am

Over the weekend, ¡Q'Viva! The Chosen, debuted on Fox. Yes, it's airing on Univision, but this non-Spanish speaking girl didn't know that. I did end up watching it in Spanish, but realized they're already a few episodes in. So, I kind of got a sneak peek at some of the finalists. Oops!

If you don't know what television show I'm talking about, then you're missing out. Well, you're missing out if you like "reality" entertainment and talent competition shows.

¡Q'Viva! The Chosen features superstars and ex's Marc Anthony and Jennifer Lopez. Along with show producer and choreographer, Jamie King, they travel to over 21 Latin American countries. Their goal is to "discover the most authentic, genuine, and talented entertainers."
      2012-03-05-QVIVAJLO_FilmingLATAM_Cropped1.jpeg

As I sat and watched the most passionate Argentinian Tango ever performed, I realized something. This really is more than a talent competition. It's about pride in where you come from, tradition, and what you're passionate about in life. It's about showing the world that we're more than the stereotypes they've placed us in.

Yes we love music and yes we love to dance, but there's more to it. At one one point Jennifer says, "This is like me being able to really really go, I am Latina and this is who we are!"

This is who we are and now it's time for the world to see and learn.

It is also a realization for me. It's a look inside the different countries values and expectations. Many of the performers speak about how their families don't take their art seriously and are told that they will never succeed. Or how they will just end up poor and hungry. One woman even goes as far as describing how her family doesn't want her to see her own daughter because she's a dancer.

On the other hand, there are some very supportive families. A young Puerto Rican man, surrounded by his family and with tears in his eyes, expresses how being chosen to move on to the next phase will serve as an example to his daughters to never give up on their dreams.

Throughout the show, goosebumps covered my arms as each singer, dancer, acrobat, performer, and musician auditioned in their native country. And tears filled my eyes with each emotional moment. Maybe I'm biased because I'm Latina, but it has definitely touched me in a way that no other talent competition has.

It's like each and every person was born to perform. It's in their blood.

In the end, this is a television show and the winners will be part of a showcase in Las Vegas. But, this doesn't take away from each performer's desire for the "American Dream." The look on their faces and the joy they experience when they find out they've been selected to head to the United States and represent their country. And the sadness when they find out they didn't make the cut.

Say what you want about Marc and Jennifer, but I think they've got something here.

Master of Jenology

Mar 06, 2012#103

deleted -- wrong thread

Master of Jenology

Mar 06, 2012#104

American Way Magazine

Master of Jenology

Mar 07, 2012#105

Q’Viva!'The Chosen' Proves That Jennifer Lopez And Marc Anthony
            Value Their Professional Relationship Over Their Marriage

by Natalie Zutter
            Sun, Mar 4, 2012 - 7:12 pm E T

http://crushable.com/entertainment/qviv ... -cher-630/

Q'Viva! The Chosen - Jennifer Lopez Marc Anthony working together Sonny and CherYou might assume that with Jennifer Lopez and estranged husband Marc Anthony working on a reality show together, there’d be plenty of tears. But the only waterworks came from the performers that the two singers scouted out in Latin America and invited back to the United States to compete for the chance to be on Q’Viva! The Chosen. By contrast, Jennifer and Marc got along alarmingly well.

We already knew this, of course; a few months ago, there were rumors that the two divorcing celebrities were acting “like Sonny and Cher after the divorce.” In last night’s pilot, we got a taste of the exes’ new working relationship, which has us puzzled. Was their marriage some sort of publicity stunt that they’re shrugging off because they’ve got dollar signs in their eyes? (Yeah, that’s our cynical side talking.) Or are they still feeling the pain they mentioned in their July 2011 public statement but putting it aside to change normal people’s lives?

“This project was important to us, and we committed to doing it together,” Marc intones over voiceover in the beginning. He narrates the whole episode, most of which is him and Jennifer — separately — going to Chile, Colombia, Uruguay, etc. to follow up on acts they’ve heard of through professional and personal recommendation.

“We’re meant to be in each other’s lives, on different levels,” Marc says later. “This is a long story; this is not a short story, you know? Our marriage was one chapter. Kids are another. We’ve got each other for life.”

Judging by their outfits, there’s only one portion of filming where they were in the same room. So, it’s not as if they were joined at the hip during the entire process. They meet up in Puerto Rico—where, Jennifer notes, they shot their critically panned 2006 biopic El Cantante. “Bad memories,” she jokes while Marc acts wounded. There’s a lot of her shoving him teasingly while he whines about assault.

The most entertaining portion of the Jennifer-and-Marc show is the sequences where they’re driving to the meet-up spot. In contrast to J.Lo’s midriff-baring top and Marc’s snazzy outfits during the scouting sessions, here they’re laidback and casual in T-shirts and jeans. There’s a chance that this is carefully calculated to make them look approachable as the producer quizzes them about their relationship:

Producer: “How does it feel?”
            Jennifer: “Very Sonny and Cher after the divorce.”
            Marc: “Really? We’ve always been like these, even when we were together. Busting each other’s chops.”

Already their repartee seems pretty set: He’s the goofball who’s hiring hot twins and mugging for the camera, while she’s the straight main reining him in and insisting upon integrity and professionalism in their joint business venture.

It’s a bit early to state definitively what Jennifer and Marc’s angle is here. Before watching the pilot, I was sure that this was strictly business; this exchange doesn’t help things.

Producer: “What brings you two back together?”
            Marc: “The only thing that could—talent.”

But he says it thoughtfully, and she shares that tenderness for nurturing new talent. So maybe the chapters of Jennifer Lopez and Marc Anthony’s lives go like this: 1) Their own professional careers. 2) Marriage. 3) Kids. 4) Raising the next generation of performers. Maybe them putting aside their impending divorce to jumpstart others’ careers isn’t a bad thing.

Intro to Jenology

Mar 07, 2012#106

I know I'm a bit late with this but thank you so much for the download link! :)

Doctor of Jenology

Mar 08, 2012#107

Q’Viva! The Chosen: Ratings for the 2011-12 Season
                Published:March 7, 2012http://cdn.tvseriesfinale.com/wp-conten ... 70x208.jpg[/img]
                Here are the ratings for Q’Viva! The Chosen TV show. On this reality series, Jennifer Lopez, Marc Anthony and Jamie King travel through 20 countries to find and showcase the most talented Latin singers, dancers, musicians and other performers. The first season of Q’Viva! The Chosen typically airs Saturday nights on the FOX network.

These are the TV show’s ratings for the 2011-12 season, the best way to tell if Q’Viva! The Chosen will be cancelled or renewed for a second season. Check out our FOX ratings report card to see how this show’s numbers compare with the others on the network.

These figures will be updated as the weeks progress so be sure to bookmark and return to this page:

Episode 01-01: Thursday, 03/03/12:
                0.8 rating in the 18-49 demographic with 2.20 million total viewers; second in the timeslot.
                Season average: 0.80 in the demo with 2.20 million.
                Demo average rank: #8 of 8 non-scripted TV shows on the network (Fall 2011 – Spring 2012)

It wasn’t a positive start this new series at all. The two-hour premiere’s ratings were much worse than FOX’s other original Saturday night programming, Cops and America’s Most Wanted specials.

--As I suspected Saturdays aren't very good days for FOX no matter how good a show is they always do bad. But I will not be a downer cause it's receiving promo during Idol so there's always hope. :D

Master of Jenology

Mar 08, 2012#108

THE HUFFPOST

Jennifer Lopez And Marc Anthony's 'Q'Viva' And More Divorced Couples Who Still Worked Together on TV

UPDATED: 03/02/2012 7:43 pm

http://s1159.photobucket.com/albums/p63 ... QVIVA1.jpg

Watching "Q'Viva! The Chosen," there are moments could almost forget that its two most famous hosts -- Jennifer Lopez and Marc Anthony -- are no longer married.

The Latin American-based show recently debuted on Univision, but an English-language version debuts on Fox on Sat. March 3. Though Lopez and Anthony split in July 2011, they both committed to the reality show. On "Q'Viva," Lopez, Anthony and concert director Jamie King travel to 20 countries in search of the best Latin performers, including singers and dancers, with the help of YouTube and Facebook

"I don't think one of us thought about abandoning the project, ever, because of anything that happened. It was just how we we're going to do it," Lopez says in one of the "Q'Viva" episodes. "I'm glad we stuck with it. This is just a testament that it's bigger than us ... It's a human thing. It's a life thing. It's a legacy thing. We are put in a position to do something about it," Anthony adds.

During a recent appearance on "The Ellen DeGeneres Show," third wheel Jamie King joked: "I find myself in the middle refereeing sometimes. It's fantastic."

Anthony called his divorce from Lopez "very Sonny and Cher", proving they are hardly the first famous couple to find themselves working together on television after a divorce. From the iconic example of the "I Got You Babe" duo to the two stars who stuck with "I Love Lucy" post-split, see our slideshow of more couples who made TV magic even after ending their marriages.

46K3,605
                  Admin
                  46K3,605

Mar 08, 2012#109

Saturdays are definitely rough, but hopefully it will pick up with word of mouth. I really like the 2 hour blocks. I think that will help.

26K8,905
                    Doctor of Jenology
                    26K8,905

Mar 11, 2012#110

Lots of Q'viva related messages on Twitter right now.

More than last week I think. :D

Doctor of Jenology

Mar 11, 2012#111

Quick question
                        Was the episode of qviva on univision new?

26K8,905
                        Doctor of Jenology
                        26K8,905

Mar 11, 2012#112

Fox live stream:

http://www.ilive.to/view/27018/

(still 50 minutes left)

14K2,609
                          Admin
                          14K2,609

Mar 11, 2012#113

PRESS RELEASE
                            March 10, 2012, 10:00 p.m. EST
                            Q'VIVA! The Chosen Photos of Jennifer Lopez and Marc Anthony in Kohl's Collection Available on Business Wire's Website and AP PhotoExpress

Mar 10, 2012 (BUSINESS WIRE) -- Photos are available from Kohl's Department Stores KSS +2.43% of Jennifer Lopez and Marc Anthony on the set of their show Q'VIVA! The Chosen, now airing on Fox. The show is sponsored by Kohl's. Both the Jennifer Lopez collection and the Marc Anthony collection are available exclusively at Kohl's and Kohls.com at http://www.kohls.com/JenniferLopez and http://www.kohls.com/MarcAnthony .

Enter to win a weekend getaway through Kohl's Q'Viva! The Chosen Live Sweepstakes March 10 -- April 7, 2012 at http://mobile.cloud.kohls.resource.com/qviva/

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/qviva- ... 2012-03-10

I entered. I would love to win that! lol

Doctor of Jenology

Mar 11, 2012#114

^good luck! ;)

26K8,905
                              Doctor of Jenology
                              26K8,905

Mar 11, 2012#115

RAtings:

ABC won the night with a two hour 20/20: My Extreme Affliction. From 9-10PM, it averaged 1.0 rating among adults 18-49, beating a new episode of The Firm, which earned an 0.6 rating among Adults 18-49, and the first hour of Q'Viva: The Chosen, which got a 0.5 rating among adults 18-49. In its second outing, Q'Viva: The Chosen dropped 25% from its premiere week, when it earned a 0.8 rating among Adults 18-49.

Time Net Show 18-49 Rating/Sh Viewers (millions)
                                8:00 ABC Wipeout - R 0.7/2 2.93
                                NBC Harry's Law - R 0.6/2 4.40
                                CBS NCIS: Los Angeles - R 0.6/2 2.77
                                FOX Q'Viva: The Chosen 0.5/2 1.84

9:00 ABC 20/20: My Extreme Affliction 1.0/3 4.14
                                CBS Criminal Minds - R 0.8/3 3.97
                                FOX Q'Viva: The Chosen 0.6/2 1.83
                                NBC The Firm 0.6/2 3.46

10:00 CBS 48 Hours Mystery 1.1/3 5.09
                                ABC 20/20: My Extreme Affliction 1.1/3 4.33
                                NBC Law & Order SVU - R 0.7/2 3.53

:(

Doctor of Jenology

Mar 11, 2012#116

I just watched the first ep and i got bored tbh, it's almost 2 hours!!! i think it should be 1 hour maximum.

Doctor of Jenology

Mar 11, 2012#117

^ i skipped most marc's parts tbh... :oops:

Doctor of Jenology

Mar 11, 2012#118

I liked what Jen said at the end when both of them said no because they couldn’t take their partner. She’s cute when she says and that’s a good thing.
                                      The car stuff is always fun!
                                      LOL at Jen and the guy playing and singing!
                                      Cute when she says do not try this at home with the scissor guys and her reaction is also cute!
                                      Cute when she is moving her head back and forth and smiling and laughing! LOL when she is talking u can hear her bracelets moving.
                                      Jen’s reaction to the 2 sisters when she is in the hallway!
                                      Aww she mentioned Puerto Rico when she was 10.

26K8,905
                                      Doctor of Jenology
                                      26K8,905

Mar 12, 2012#119

From the Huffington Post

Felix Sanchez

Chairman and Co-founder of the National Hispanic Foundation for the Arts

¡Q'VIVA! The Chosen: Realism TV

Posted: 03/12/2012 4:07 pm

Marc Anthony and Jennifer Lopez not only have two lovely children together, they are the proud parents of a global child: ¡Q'Viva! The Chosen, on Fox TV, Saturdays at 8 p.m. Eastern/7 p.m. Central. The show is part National Geographic, part telenovela, part documentary, part Survivor, part Ed Sullivan, part Greatest Show on Earth; the show is filmed partly in Spanish, partly in English and all of it is fleshed out against a backdrop of human drama, redemption and ascendancy.

Let's just say ¡Q'Viva! is a mix of emotions: never have I seen so many men and women crying from the suffering, resurrection, hope and joy they are simultaneously experiencing; never have I seen so much hugging and thanksgiving; never have I seen a Latin American showcase of extraordinary acrobats, singers, musicians and dancers, that also prominently includes Latinos of Color, including Afro-Latinos, indigenous and mestizo Latin Americans.

¡Q'Viva! is culturally "autcótono." The show is a valid expression of original content never quite before explored either on Spanish language TV or English language TV. Marc Anthony is the good Cortez, returning not to conquer, but to Facebook the community. The show is more than groundbreaking, the show is a bridge from the 50.5 million Latinos living in the U.S. to the 500 million Latinos living next door, alongside us in the Americas.

¡Q'Viva! is doing what the U.S. Voice of America has failed to do: build a compelling media message that unites Latin America with the U.S., in a modern and contemporary way. The humanistic scenes of photogenic and honest tears of joy bring out humble smiles from viewers and unites us in the basic emotions that know no national boundaries, only cultural and language solidarity.

Marc Anthony's spiritualism is evident in the way he drives deep into the heart of the planet to find the most unique performers; Marc's fever is clearly shared by Jennifer, who herself is transformed from superstar to a humanitarian ambassador when making house calls in search of vibrant new talent. Both Marc and Jennifer are pounding the pavement and selva to build a legacy concept that hopefully will blossom and create an even stronger cultural bond between Latinos estadounidense and Latinos mundial.

¡Q'Viva! is clearly larger than the two visionaries; it's an exploration into the heart and soul of the Latino Diaspora. It feels like an extraordinary step, like a walk on the Moon. It's a turning point, like the directional shift led by Cesar Chavez and Dolores Huerta. But most of all it's a historic media moment in time: the first seamlessly bilingual show that presents entertainment and information to a general audience, not simply to a target audience. It's an electronic portal into the lives of el Latino Global; it shatters stereotypical walls and updates Latin American artistry, culture and beauty; it is the Latino Cosby Show set in Realism TV. ¡Bien hecho!

Would the Chairman and Co-founder of the National Hispanic Foundation for the Arts lie? :cheesygrin

Great article! :Bravo: :Bravo: :Bravo:

Intermediate Jenology

Mar 12, 2012#120

Great :)

46K3,605
                                          Admin
                                          46K3,605

Mar 12, 2012#121

Nice article!!

It's such a bummer that more people in the US aren't giving it a chance.

Doctor of Jenology

Mar 12, 2012#122

I think the better episodes start next week....the ones where there's more drama...well not drama but you know...

Master of Jenology

Mar 13, 2012#123

download link for EP 2 please??

Master of Jenology

Mar 13, 2012#124

Master of Jenology

Mar 13, 2012#125

U're a lifesaver Shanti!!

Read more posts (98 remaining)