12K11,649
Contributor
12K11,649

Mar 05, 2012#551

This show is so good, I am so glad she did this..love seeing her and Marc together, hope they do another season

Master of Jenology

Mar 05, 2012#552

HUFFPOST TV

'Q'Viva! The Chosen' Premiere: Marc Anthony & Jennifer Lopez
      Spar Over Hot Twins (VIDEO)

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/03/0 ... arc-anthon

Perhaps hoping fans of "American Idol" would tune in to see
      Jennifer Lopez on another reality show, Fox picked up the
      American rights to Lopez' show "Q'Viva! The Chosen" (Sat.,
      8 p.m. EST on Fox). Of course, they then scheduled it on
      Saturdays, so perhaps their expectations were realistic after
      all. The show scored 2.2 million viewers when it premiered
      in January on Univision, and it matched that with its Fox
      premiere.

The series follows Lopez and her now ex-husband Marc Anthony
      as they travel throughout Latin America seeking talent to
      invite to the next round of the competition in Las Vegas. The
      fact that they go to where these people are gives the show an
      edge over most other talent shows. No matter how many auditions
      are scheduled in different cities, there will always be those
      people who simply can't make it. Be it for financial reasons,
      or work reasons or familial obligations, Lopez and Anthony
      eliminated any obstacles for their potentials by seeking them
      out in their hometowns.

In this two-hour premiere, there were a lot of interesting and
      talented individuals spotlighted, as the couple split up during
      the recruiting process. But one pick by Anthony certainly caught
      the eye of Lopez. He sat in on a pair of beautiful twin dancers
      who had more beauty than sparkle on the dance floor. And while he
      was honestly brutal in his critique of their sub-par performance,
      he nevertheless invited them to Vegas.

It was the potential in them he saw, Anthony insisted, but Lopez
      was pretty sure it was something else in them he was seeing. It's
      the same struggle she faces every season with Randy Jackson and
      Steven Tyler on "American Idol." Show the guys a pretty face, and
      suddenly everything looks a lot better than it might really be.

"Q'Viva! The Chosen" continues Saturdays at 8 p.m. EST on Fox.

TV Replay scours the vast television landscape to find the most
      interesting, amusing, and, on a good day, amazing moments, and
      delivers them right to your browser.

14K678
      Admin
      14K678

Mar 11, 2012#553

JenRox wrote:[BBvideo 716,428][/BBvideo]

This is a great one! Lots of behind the scenes stuff. :D
        Just watched this, so funny. Especially when Jennifer is doing that weird dance and this woman is looking at her like, wtf are you doing. lol And that part about not being born this way. :lol:

26K8,946
        Doctor of Jenology
        26K8,946

Mar 11, 2012#554

Is this from last night's episode? :p

[BBvideo 716,428][/BBvideo]

Doctor of Jenology

Mar 11, 2012#555

Anybody have last nights episode?

Doctor of Jenology

Mar 11, 2012#556

yeah i wanna watch last night's episode too.. :D

Master of Jenology

Mar 11, 2012#557

Ahhhh so adorable. I actually enjoy watching them. Gonna miss them together. Lol.

Doctor of Jenology

Mar 11, 2012#558

Paoblo she’s cute when she says nice! Silence and then a smile! Jennifer yes baby yes! Aww Jen’s smile and laugh!
                  Jen that look and ur a pig with the laugh! LOL Jennifer laughing and saying did that one just wink at u? Come on get it! Jen LOL they both like to wink they are winkers.
                  That smile and her laugh! LOL yep!
                  Jen shakin her head back and forth during the tap guy.
                  LOL at Jen after the next dancer.
                  All the good tricks all the time now!
                  Aww Jen chases after the dancer to give her a hug. I think she might have had a tear because the dancer turned around and wave and Marc and Jaime did to she didn’t but she waved and it looked like she wiped a tear away.
                  Malambo group Jen sayin they got real polished up since I last saw them. LOL there’s gonna be a battle!
                  Jen he could make it. Jen’s cute when she is clapping with the pen in her mouth! LOL that is crazy!
                  LOL at the hugging of the guys and Jennifer laughing!
                  That laugh get’s me everytime!
                  Jen’s jaw drops on the next preview
                  For those of u asking about that clip yes it is apart of last nights show.

Doctor of Jenology

Mar 12, 2012#559

SC88 wrote:
                    JenRox wrote:[BBvideo 716,428][/BBvideo]

This is a great one! Lots of behind the scenes stuff. :D
                    Just watched this, so funny. Especially when Jennifer is doing that weird dance and this woman is looking at her like, wtf are you doing. lol And that part about not being born this way. :lol:
                    Look at her smile @ 0:58

it's killing mmeeeee :heart :love

Bachelor of Jenology

Mar 12, 2012#560

I love Qviva JEn is so funny and Cute

Master of Jenology

Mar 12, 2012#561

I found episode 7 that is aired on 11th of March

Doctor of Jenology

Mar 12, 2012#562

can anybody make me a gif from this video please?!

0:59 to 1:02

That smile :love2

Doctor of Jenology

Mar 12, 2012#563

Jen cracks me up! :-)

Btw does anybody know how many episodes are left?

Intermediate Jenology

Mar 12, 2012#564

I think they said,it will be 12 episodes..

Doctor of Jenology

Mar 12, 2012#565

^Thanks!

46K3,683
                                Admin
                                46K3,683

Mar 14, 2012#566

I'm all caught up! I lol'd at Jen and Marc's fighting at the beginning. They were riled up! hahaha

Jen was so sweet chasing the rejected samba dancer to give her a hug, too.

Doctor of Jenology

Mar 14, 2012#567

oh i have to watch last episode when i find time..i m behind!

Bachelor of Jenology

Mar 15, 2012#568

Killa Tila wrote:oh i have to watch last episode when i find time..i m behind!
                                      Me too! Trying to keep up with both the Univision & Fox episodes since they show slightly different clips/cuts of the show.

Admin

Mar 15, 2012#569

ArtistFormerlyKnownasJlo wrote:
                                        Me too! Trying to keep up with both the Univision & Fox episodes since they show slightly different clips/cuts of the show.
                                        ^^I was wondering about that! Are there any unseen moments on the FOX episodes though?

Only keeping up w/ Univision ..my DVR was jamming up it's so full of JLO!! ahahaha

14K2,609
                                        Admin
                                        14K2,609

Mar 15, 2012#570

I think there might be some not seen on Univison that's on Fox, I'm not 100% sure E. I've got so much going and then trying to keep up, everything kinda runs together. lol

I'm really enjoying the show!! :)

Bachelor of Jenology

Mar 15, 2012#571

BellaJLo wrote:
                                            ArtistFormerlyKnownasJlo wrote:
                                            ^^I was wondering about that! Are there any unseen moments on the FOX episodes though?

Only keeping up w/ Univision ..my DVR was jamming up it's so full of JLO!! ahahaha
                                            The main difference is that Marc narrates all of the Fox episodes which ties up he & Jennifer's (and Jamie's) journeys.
                                            It gives it a nice flow! :smile:

The Fox episodes also seem to include a little extra commentary from Jen & Marc when they address performers or talk to the camera, and different shots of them when they arrive to/leave from a country. Well, at least in my mind! lol

46K3,683
                                            Admin
                                            46K3,683

Mar 15, 2012#572

I think it is different, too. I think I posted about it he first week. But since Jen speaks in English, her thoughts flow more naturally and she is more candid instead of trying to break her thoughts down into something she can say in Spanish. That was my impression. :D

Master of Jenology

Mar 15, 2012#573

THE HUFF POST

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/melissa-b ... ertainment

WHAT'S LOST WHEN J.LO & MARC ANTHONY CHOOSE : Q'VIVA & LIMITS OF THE HOLLYWOOD DREAM

by Melissa Brough
                                                (Doctoral candidate, Annenberg School for Communication and Journalism at the University of Southern California)

Posted: 03/15/2012 11:37 am

With their search for the "spirit of Latin American culture" in ¡Q'Viva! The Chosen, Jennifer Lopez and Marc Anthony are making a splash in U.S. reality television entertainment. The iconic Latino power couple -- who recently separated -- are televising their search to cast a live Latin music and performance spectacle in Las Vegas. But while Q'Viva touts J Lo and Marc Anthony as making the dreams of "undiscovered" Latin artists come true in Hollywood -- or at least in Vegas -- it often reads like just another example of reality TV exploitation. (For starters, there's no financial compensation for the artists, whose talent as well as their stories of personal struggle and tragedy are used to market the show.) Ultimately, the real dream makers in this story are not J.Lo and Marc Anthony; they are some of the contestants, a group of young people called Son Batá who are teaching kids how to dream of social change in the ghettos of Medellin, Colombia. And as it turns out, these dreams can't be made in Hollywood.

Q'Viva follows J Lo and Marc Anthony as they travel to 21 Latin American countries selecting artists to come to Los Angeles to compete for a spot in the live show in Vegas. Currently being broadcast in the U.S. on Univision and Fox (as well as across Latin America and Canada), this "legacy project" is quickly becoming a landmark in the mainstreaming of Latin-focused, bilingual entertainment in America; it's the first bilingual reality TV show to be broadcast on a major U.S. network. Q'Viva's unironic use of colonial-era stylized maps complements the narrative of discovery as J.Lo and Marc Anthony make the "journey of a lifetime." For J.Lo, "This is like me being able to really, really go: I AM LATINA AND THIS IS WHO WE ARE!" This passion project is undisputedly fulfilling the dreams of J.Lo and Marc Anthony. But what about the contestants?

The Afro-Colombian music group known as Son Batá is from the most notoriously violent part of the city of Medellin, Colombia -- a city made famous by the drug trafficker Pablo Escobar and some of the highest homicide rates in the world. Their neighborhood, Comuna 13, has long been divided block by block between warring armed gangs. It was the site of dramatic military operations in the 1990s and early 2000s; some members of Son Batá remember hiding under mattresses and furniture to avoid stray bullets. To this day Comuna 13 remains divided along invisible borders controlled by complex networks of armed gangs.

Having witnessed the murder of many of their friends, Jhon Jaime Sanchez, Jhon Freddy Aspirilla and Carlos Alberto Sánchez started Son Batá in 2005 when they were teenagers to create an alternative to gang membership for youth and children. Their weapons? Drums, clarinets, dance, theater, and hip hop. (Son Batá is a play on words that translates as both the sound of drums and "they are drums.") As Sanchez explains, "In a city, in a neighborhood where normally people are accustomed to hearing gun shot after gun shot, then to suddenly hear the sound of musical instruments, laughter, song, everyone starts to come out to their windows, on their balconies, 'look at what they're doing'!" Through art and music, Son Batá is creating what they call a territory of artists, running a kind of informal school where youth teach other youth not only how to play music, dance and act, but also how to be a proactive citizen and promote non-violence. Son Batá's work is effecting real social transformation, replacing the sound of gun shots with the sounds of drums, and membership in armed gangs with membership in a music group -- and it has gained city-wide, national and international recognition for doing so.

As Jhon Freddy Aspirilla explains, Son Batá tries to "recuperate young people's ability to dream... it's not just about the art; the goal of Son Batá is not to develop great artists but rather to create better people. Because change starts with the individual," says Aspirilla. He co-founded the hip hop group that eventually became Son Batá when he was 16. Now 24, he and Son Batá have influenced the lives of nearly 500 youth, making it possible for them to choose musical instruments over guns in a place where joining an armed gang is often the fastest way to gain respect and earn an income.

When Marc Anthony travelled to the outskirts of Medellín -- far from his "five-star life" -- to "discover" Son Batá he remarked, "when you do something artistic to survive, it just comes from a totally different place. This is what it's all about... we have to come to these barrios to find talent like Son Batá." It certainly makes for a good story. So he brought 21 of them to Hollywood.

Nelson Córdoba, known on Q'Viva as "Bomby", has grown up in Son Batá. Bomby is quiet and shy offstage but onstage he steals the show. By the time he was 14 he was the star of the group, playing his clarinet and getting a rise out of audiences across the city as well as around the country. Recently he and others from Son Batá opened for the Red Hot Chili Peppers in Bogotá.

Now 16, Bomby has been caught in the crossfire of one of Q'Viva's dramatic sub-plots: In Episode 4 (Episode 2 on Fox) he was offered a spot in the Vegas show but the rest of his group was cut. The show has leveraged the theme of breaking up artistic collaborators, using the familiar Latino experience of separation to spice up the drama. In addition to Son Batá, salsa and tango partners have been divided as some are chosen and others rejected --though not without resistance by the dancers and a lot of tears. Some choose not to go without their partners. Their stories become a central part of Q'Viva's narrative, providing emotional scenes and cliff-hangers between segments. Against the backdrop of a diaspora so characterized by divided families, the turmoil of separation seems purposefully manufactured by the show's producers to resonate with its Latino audiences.

The tension for Son Batá is that they operate as a collective (colectivo), which means they see their strength as greater than the sum of their parts. And their mission is bigger than the music; the music is a means to bring about social change. In Q'Viva, Bomby is thus faced with a difficult choice: whether or not to trade his identity as part of Son Batá (which he calls "mi familia") and the bonds of solidarity for the potential fame promised by Marc Anthony if he goes solo.

For legal reasons documented ad nauseum in the non-disclosure agreement that Son Batá and all of the participants in Q'Viva had to sign, the details of their behind-the-scenes experience and the judges' choice cannot be revealed. Nor can the negotiations that ensued between Son Batá and the show's producers, or the final outcome of Bomby's decision. Suffice it to say, even before they were cut from the talent competition, the bubble of hope surrounding this "Hollywood dream" had started to pop and its superficiality revealed. As one member of the group summed it up, "It was all very Hollywood."

Son Batá is about process more than product; the real fruits of their music are the young dreamers who choose life over death and become positive agents of change. They may not be the most polished and professionalized performers, but they bring the calentura and put on a great show that inspires many to follow in their footsteps. So far, what Q'Viva has illustrated is that some things can't be imported by Hollywood for commercial consumption: the culture of collectivity, and art for the sake of social transformation.

The Hollywood dream -- J.Lo and Marc Anthony's dream -- is one of individual fame. For some, the dream of becoming a better person and working together to bring about social change is more meaningful than becoming famous. While Son Batá may not be among "The Chosen," they return to Colombia to help more youth choose life over death, a clarinet instead of a pistol.

Doctor of Jenology

Mar 18, 2012#574

Awww she hugged Jennifer first!
                                                  Jen shakin her shoulders to the Maya group and whispering thank u! She whispered again! LoL at that kiss on the cheek! Aww that Maya group is cute when they tell them yes!
                                                  Cute when she says I think ur gonna love these guys! LOL Jen ya u should give them ur workout routine! Woohh yes! LOL at their hands in the air! LOL at the standin O with hands in the air!
                                                  LOL at Jennifer’s laugh and then she went and hugged Jen!
                                                  LOL this next group is what I have been telling u about! U just gotta see it there’s nothing to say! Here they come OMG! LOL I need a drink! Then get’s up and says please enjoy the show! LOL at Jen running right back on after they are finished and stopped pretty great huh! LOL at the speechlessness and what she said and ok we are gonna take a 5! Aww it looked like she was a little sad to let them go!
                                                  LoL at the Micheal Jackson comment!
                                                  Jen jaw drop!
                                                  Jen Kohl’s commercial!
                                                  LOL Jen shut up we do have fun together! Do we not have fun together? No ok we don’t have fun together! No we are not no we are not! Jen jaw drop! Wooooww! U could hear her laugh in some of it to! Alright! Wow! They threw that girl about 12 ft shakes her head! Jen shaking her head and laughing and smiling! LOL at their reaction of those dancers!
                                                  Awww that hug between Jennifer and Jaime!

Doctor of Jenology

Mar 18, 2012#575

aw sounds so great!i've fallen behind once again..

Read more posts (37 remaining)