Doctor of Jenology

Jan 07, 2006#26

Title: Lovin Lolita

Setting: 1940s
    &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp Chicago, Illinois
    &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp New York City, New York
    &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp
    Plot: Piano player Thomas Peters (Will Smith or Taye Diggs) plays along with small-time Cuban nightclub rumba/jazz singer "Lolita" Carmen (Jennifer Lopez) in Miami, Florida. They become best friends as they play more and more with each other, but Thomas realizes he starts falling in love with her charm and her charisma, but he is always hiding his feelings for her, as he is afraid of rejection. Enter George Bloom (Kevin Kline). Broadway director/producer. One night he enters the nightclub and it happens to be the night when Lolita performs. He seems to be blown away by her performance and asks the manager if he may see her backstage after the performance. They meet; George does his best at sweet-talking her, and starts asking her out on dates. Tom soon notices Lola's new love interest and starts getting jealous and starts noticing that this George isn't any good for her. Lolita is very bothered by his behavior but still doesn't know what is wrong with Tom. As everything goes on, George offers her trip of a lifetime... to go to New York City and become a Cuban-American singing sensation. Lola tells Tom the good news, but he is anything but happy. She feels sad and unhappy at Tom's reaction, thinking that she might be doing something wrong. Then he decides to tell her how he feels about her, but as soon as he is done explaining his feelings, she gets upset because of how long it took him to tell her and how too late he is. She is so upset and angry that she decides to go to New York, and leaves Tom behind. But she leaves with mixed feelings.

Characters:
    -&nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp Lola Lolita CarmenGorgeous and talented Cuban-American nightclub rumba/jazz singer. Very intelligent, confident and very aware of what may be going on around her. Most of the men she runs into take her for being dumb and stupid just because of her looks and because her talent of singing and dancing on the stage.

-&nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp Thomas PetersHandsome and talented African-American piano player for Lolita. Has been her piano player ever since she first came to work for the nightclub. Strong-minded and a protector for the things he loves. Whenever he believes something isnt right for him or Lolita, he says so.

-&nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp Anna-May PetersThomas sister, as well as one of the performers for the nightclub. Performs along with Lolita at times. Tough, and very confident.

Actors:
    &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp - Jennifer Lopez Lola Lolita Carmen
    -&nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp Taye Diggs Tom Peters
    -&nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp Kevin KlineGeorge Bloom

Songs:
    1.&nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp I Got Rhythm/Quimbara Medley
    2.&nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp Youd Be Surprised

Scene I

(Setting: A run-down jazz nightclub. The fans are turning slowly. The lights are dimmed. The spotlight is on Tom Peters playing the piano. The drums are playing along with slow soft jazz beat.

A few men and women dressed up are in the audience. Lighting up their cigarettes and watching Tom play the piano. The saxophone player comes in softly.

Outside, its nighttime and Lolita looks at the nightclub and trying to see if this was the right address in the little paper she was holding in her hand. She wears a red flower on the side of her head, black overcoat, and a short white halter evening dress with red pumps. She wears deep red lipstick on her face. She begins to slowly approach the building entrance. Tries to open the door, but it seem locked. She looks around and sees an alleyway next to the nightclub. She walks toward it and sees a halfway open door. She hears jazz music coming out of it. She quickly walks to it, and looks inside.

She looks around and sees the bar, a few tables and a few people sitting at them. Then she looks up and sees the piano player. She was kind of like in a trance at the way he was playing. She walks a bit more closer towards the tables. She pulls a chair out, takes her coat off, sits down, and gazes at Tom. Lola stares at his hands move up and down the piano. Looking at his arms, and how handsome Tom is.

Tom plays the last note of the piece and looks at the audience with a smile, as if asking for applause. The audience gives a mediocre applause due to the lack of people in there. Lola gives a smile and a big handclap to him. She stands up.

The lights go on. The stage lights go off.

Lola looks around and sees the cleaners begin to due their duties for closing time. She walks towards one of the cleaners.)

Lola: Excuse me excuse me, sir?

Cleaner: Im sorry miss, I cant hear through this ear.

Lola: Oh Im sorry to bother, I just wanted to know where I can find(looks down at her little paper)Tom. Tom Peters.

Cleaner: I think he (Looks up at stage)just asks of em on the stage, there show you where he is.

Lola: Thank you sir.

(Lola walks towards the stage, looking confident yet shy.)

Tom is a tall handsome African-American man. He is wearing a Fedora hat, a kind of worn down white button up shirt with the sleeves rolled up, black dress pants with suspenders on. He is at his piano, cleaning and whipping it down. The other players (trumpet, trombone, and drummers) were also cleaning up their area on stage.

The sound of Lolas heels walking towards the stage caught Toms and the rest of the bands attention.)

Trumpet Player: (He whispers to the drummer) Take a look a that.

Drummer: Oh yeah, she is a looker!

Tom: (To Lola) There anything you lookin for round here.

Lola: Well, Im looking for a(looks down at paper)Tom Peters. I was wondering where I might find him.

Tom: Well, look no further.

Lola: Really, youre Tom? I had no idea that you were manager and the piano player in this joint.

Tom: Oh no, I aint no manager. I just bring in the acts for him.

Lola: Oh well, I guess Im talking to the right guy. Im here for an audition. I want to be a performer here.

Tom: (Chuckles) Sorry, cant do maam.

Lola: Watcha mean cant do, maam? And the names Lola Marlita Carmen.

Tom: Im sorry; Miss Carmen, but we cant take that risk.

Lola: What risk? Why, because Im a woman? Come on, Tom. Let me at least audition for you. I can do jazz, rumba, and swing, and

Tom: You can do all that?

(Lola nods head)

Tom: I gotta see this (Looks at other band members, chuckles along with them)

Lola: Just watch this. Youll eat your own words when Im done.

(Piano stars off. I Got Rhythm plays. Lola, with ease, takes lays her jacket down on one of the tables, and turns around facing the stage. She smiles)

Lola (singing): What care I for fortune of fame
    &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp They never mattered a lot
    &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp I dont have a right to complain
    As long as Ive got what Ive got

(Piano speeds up. Lola walks towards the stage as the beat gets faster. Starts walking up the stage. Trumpets, horns, and drums come in. Lola leans in towards Tom while he is playing the piano. Sings to Tom)

Ive got rhythm
    Ive got music
    Ive got my man, who could ask for anything more
    Ive got daisies in green pastures

(Leans away from Tom and walks towards the rest of the band members who are playing their trumpets and drums. Sings to each of them individually)
    &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp Trouble never finds him
    You wont find him round my door

(Sings to the drummer)

&nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp Ive got starlight
    Ive got sweet-dreams

(Walks off the stage as the instrumental break in the song begins. Begins dancing with the cleaners on the floor. Spotlight is on her. One of the cleaners spin her around, her dress is lifted up as she spins. Another cleaner picks her up off her feet and sets her on top of one of the tables. She starts dancing on the table. As instrumental break ends, two of the cleaners help her down off the table)

(Quickly, the song changes into rumba. Quimbara begins)

Lola: Eh mama, eh eh mama
    Eh mama, eh eh mama

(Lola starts dancing the rumba with one of the cleaners who once again spin her around)

Cleaners: (together)
    Quimbara-quimbara cumba-quimbaba

Lola: Si quieres gozar, si quieres bailar

Lola: Lo baila Teresa y tambien Joseito
    Quimbara-quimbara cumba-quim bajito

Lola: Quimbara-quimbara cumba-quimbara quimbara
    Quimbara-quimbara cumba-quimbara quimbara

(Instrumental break begins once again, slowly switching back to Ive Got Rhythm)

Lola: Ive got rhythm
    Ive got music
    Ive got my man dont need no more

(Lola takes flower from head and tosses it at Tom. Tom catches it)

~~~~~~~~~

That's all i got so far. I'm still thinking of what other songs to use. All i know so far is Celia Cruz/Dorothy Dandridge/Marilyn Monroe music from that time lol. I know "Quimbara" is from the 70s, but the audience won't know that lol.

Jan 07, 2006#27

i know the dialogue is pretty elementary, lol. i'll work on it some more after im done. took all this time just to think of this lol

Master of Jenology

Jan 07, 2006#28

i love the storyline!

its gonna contine on from when Lola move to NY, right?

like maybe it could be a "5 years later" interlude, and then Lola is a big star and is engaged to George, but she feels trapped in the relationship, but puts on a happy face when they're out. and while shes a huge singing sensation, Tom is back in Chicago watching her gwet bigger and bigger and in a depressed, unhappy state. Then one day he discovers she is coming to Chicago for a concert and......

Doctor of Jenology

Jan 07, 2006#29

thanx! hehe

oooo i looove that idea! cuz i felt kinda trapped on how to continue on with that storyline. thanx, buffster! I actually kinda felt that add at the begginin of the story... i could have Lola on the balcony of some famous NYC hotel and her just thinkin (outloud) how she's made some wrong decisions in her life, and how what she chose isn't exactly what she thought it would be. and then i could fastforward to when she was looking for work at nightclubs and being turned down right and left until she found the nightclub where Tom was working at.

Master of Jenology

Jan 07, 2006#30

thats PERFECT. thats how it should start, her in some hugh class hotel reflecting on the past 5 years.

then have the whole story that you wrote

then flash forward again to 5 years later when shes a star, and continue it from her standing on the blacony. George can call her from inside and say "come on Lola, its time to go to (somewhere)", and then she sighs and goes inside. then the story continues (what i already wrote in my last post).

and then the next part, when she goes to Chicago, can continue.

btw, it has to be Will Smith as the lead man, not Taye Diggs!

Doctor of Jenology

Jan 07, 2006#31

oh im lovin this, im soo lovin this. thats exactly what im gonna do. right now im trying to figure out what she is gonna say when she is on the balcony. so far i have:

"i dont know where i went wrong. I just feel so empty inside, but this is what I always wanted. It's like I left a part of me behind somewhere..."

and thats all i have.

dont worry, i got a call back from will smith, he said he will do it. taye diggs was too picky lol.

Master of Jenology

Jan 07, 2006#32

YAY about Will!

some more stuff for her to say at the beginning...

"I feel like a part of me is faded into someone else, like my true colours have gone. I'm living my dream, but I've lost touch with why i dreamt it in the first place..."

Doctor of Jenology

Jan 07, 2006#33

WOW... thats something STRAIGHT out of a movie lol. i could NOT have said that better myself! thanks buffster! i knew havin u join my project would b a great benefit! hehe

Master of Jenology

Jan 07, 2006#34

no probs! this is fun

Doctor of Jenology

Jan 07, 2006#35

Scene I

(Setting: Luxurious hotel in NYC. Sunset.

Lola walks towards double doors that head towards the balcony of her room. She is wearing a silk robe. Her hair is curled up to her shoulders. She looks out to the city and watches the sun go down behind the buildings. She smiles, and a tear goes down her cheek.

Lola: I dont know exactly where I went wrong. This is what Ive always wanted, and yet I feel so empty inside. Its as if a part of me has faded into someone else, like my true colors have gone. Im living my dream, but Ive lost touch with why I dreamt in the first place

(Lola gazes at the beautiful pink, purple, and blue sunset sky)

(Streets of New York turn into the streets of Chicago. Sky turns into cloudy snowy day)

Scene II

(Setting: Chicago, Illinois. Snowy day, icy cold streets, steam coming up from the manholes on the streets.

Lola is in a black overcoat, boots, and wearing a hat. Lola pulls her coat tighter because of the freezing weather. She walks over to the nightclub on the corner, and walks in. Shakes off the snow on her jacket and walks behind the stage)

Lola: Jimmy! Im here!

(She hears clattering of papers and items in the next room).

Lola: Ready to get paid! (Laughs) Jimmy?

(Jimmy walks out with briefcases)

Lola: Where are you going? Jimmy wait!

(Lola follows Jimmy as he starts to walk quickly towards the door)

Jimmy: Sorry, honey, but you on your own now.

Lola: On my own, what do you mean? I need money to survive and you know that!

Jimmy: We all do, sweetheart. But comes a point in a club owners life where they shut ya down, so you own your own.

(Jimmy walks out the door, and Lola follows)

Lola: But what am I gonna do now! Where am I gonna go!

(Jimmy locks the doors up)

Jimmy: Youre a pretty gal; make yaself useful!

Lola: WAIT!

(Jimmy runs off, leaving Lola outside)

~~~~~~

The scene after this one is where Lola tries to find work at other nightclubs, but gets turned down all the time until someone gives her the address to Tom's club, and she auditions there.

Master of Jenology

Jan 07, 2006#36

great job with the opener! i could picture it very clearly!

Bachelor of Jenology

Jan 07, 2006#37

Quote:
                          Anna-May Peters
                          Eat the cake Anna-May!!!
                          I don't want the cake Ike!!

...sorry *backs out slowly*

Jan 07, 2006#38

sounds great by the way guys.

Bachelor of Jenology

Jan 08, 2006#39

This is coming along very well guys, I was reading it and I started to get very excited,like it was a real movie

Quote:
                              Eat the cake Anna-May!!!
                              now I have the urge to go watch that movie

Doctor of Jenology

Feb 09, 2006#40

I've added another charachter and made some changes.
                                So far...

Jennifer Lopez.....Lola "Carmen" Maria-Sol
                                Will Smith..........Thomas Peters
                                Sanaa Lathan......Anna-Parker Robinson
                                Kevin Kline.........George Bloom

I would loove to see Sanaa Lathan and J.Lo in a movie together, so... why not dream about it in my story'? lol

and i changed the beginin of the musical... look:

Scene I

Lola is in the mirror, sitting down in her chair, brushing her hair. She is wearing a light green silk robe. Her face is fully made up. Red lips and smoky eyes. Lola puts the brush down, and sits there looking like she is thinking. She takes a black and white picture out of her drawer of Thomas Peters and stares at it for a while. She smiles. Lays the picture on the mirror and smiles at it.

Hears the door open halfway. Lola quickly puts the picture back in the drawer. She gets up and looks at whos there.

Maid: Room service, Miss Lolita.

Lola: Not right now, Elena. Come back in a few minutes.

Maid: Si senorita. (Closes door)

Lola sighs.

Lola walks towards double doors that head towards the balcony of her room. Her hair is curled up to her shoulders. She looks out to the city and watches the sun go down behind the buildings. She smiles, and a tear goes down her cheek.

Lola: I dont know exactly where I went wrong. This is what Ive always wanted, and yet I feel so empty inside. Its as if a part of me has faded into someone else, like my true colors have gone. Im living my dream, but Ive lost touch with why I dreamt in the first place

(Lola gazes at the beautiful pink, purple, and blue sunset sky)

(Streets of New York turn into the streets of Chicago. Sky turns into cloudy snowy night)

(Closes up on a rumba and jazz nightclub on the street corner. Sign in front of club reads Noche de Jazz y Rumba. Up-tempo jazz music can be heard from the outside. Men in tuxedoes and women in dresses walking in and out of the club.)

Lola: I always wanted to have a life of music. Music was always in my blood. My mother and father would always play music from the islands. Well in Puerto Rico, you couldnt really escape the music. It was all over. My father would take me to San Juan and teach me how to dance on the street while the people would play their rumba.

(Showing Lola backstage changing into one of her outfits for the next upcoming number.)

Man: Lola, hurry up! You got 5 minutes!

Lola: (Sighs) I know, I know

When I was about 9 or 10 years old, they sent me here to the United States to live with my Tit Aunt Maria Vasquez. My parents were not making enough money to take care of me, and I had no other relative on the island to take care of me. So they sent me here.
                                Lola puts on a black top with the sleeves going off the shoulder, a red skirt with black high heel shoes, and a red flower in her hair.

She rushes behind the curtains beside the stage. She can hear the audience cheer and applaud for the next number.

Lola: My aunt never really took care of me. She never cooked anything for me. Or gave me money when I needed it, or took me to school. So I had to do it all on my own. And I did. I did it by supporting myself in a way that I knew I knew I would have fun and make some money at the same time. Singing and dancing on the stage

Lola looks at the audience from behind the corner and gives a smile.

Man: (To audience) And now get ready for the hottest dame we got in the house tonight! Now get ready for some music that will move your body! Here is Lola Carmen!

Rumba rhythm begins.

Lola dances out from behind the curtain. The spotlight is on her. She gets on center stage in front of the microphone.

~~~~~~~

***I'M STILL WONDERING ON WHAT SONG SHE IS GONNA SING. I AM HAVIN TROUBLE FINDING ONE. BUFFSTER, CAN U HELP ME WIT THIS ONE? LOL*********

~~~~~~~

Scene II

(Setting: Chicago, Illinois. Snowy day, icy cold streets, steam coming up from the manholes on the streets.

Lola is in a black overcoat, boots, and wearing a hat. Her wavy hair pulled up in a bun under her hat. Lola pulls her coat tighter because of the freezing weather. She walks over to the nightclub on the corner, and walks in. Shakes off the snow on her jacket and walks behind the stage)

Lola: Jimmy! Im here!

(She hears clattering of papers and items in the next room).

Lola: Ready to get paid! (Laughs) Jimmy?

(Jimmy walks out with briefcases)

Lola: Where are you going? Jimmy wait!

(Lola follows Jimmy as he starts to walk quickly towards the door)

Jimmy: Sorry, honey, but you on your own now.

Lola: On my own, what do you mean? I need money to survive and you know that!

Jimmy: We all do, sweetheart. But comes a point in a club owners life where they shut ya down, so you own your own.

(Jimmy walks out the door, and Lola follows)

Lola: But what am I gonna do now! Where am I gonna go!

(Jimmy locks the doors up)

Jimmy: Youre a pretty gal; make yaself useful!

Lola: WAIT!

(Jimmy runs off, leaving Lola outside. Lola looks around here in dismay and walks off the opposite direction.)

(Scene fades)

Scene III

(Setting: Lola walking down the cold icy sidewalk towards her house.

~~~~~

****I'M STILL WRITING SCENE III. IT INVOLVES HER FINDING OUT THAT SHE DOESNT HAVE LONG UNTIL SHE IS KICKED OUT OF HER HOUSE IF SHE DOESNT FIND ANOTHER JOB. SHE SIGNS UP FOR MANY AUDITIONS BUT DOESNT GET ANY OF THE GIGS. SO SHE STARTS GIVING UP****

~~~~~

Scene IV

(Setting: A run-down jazz nightclub. Outside, a sign that says: Looking for Acts NOW! Inside, the fans are turning slowly. The lights are dimmed. The spotlight is on Tom Peters playing the piano. The drums are playing along with slow soft jazz beat.

A few men and women dressed up are in the audience. Lighting up their cigarettes and watching Tom play the piano. The saxophone player comes in softly.

Outside, its nighttime and Lolita looks at the nightclub and trying to see if this was the right address in the little paper she was holding in her hand. She wears a red flower on the side of her head, with long wavy hair to her shoulders, black overcoat, and a short white halter evening dress with red pumps. She wears deep red lipstick on her face. She begins to slowly approach the building entrance. Tries to open the door, but it seem locked. She looks around and sees an alleyway next to the nightclub. She walks toward it and sees a halfway open door. She hears jazz music coming out of it. She quickly walks to it, and looks inside.

She looks around and sees the bar, a few tables and a few people sitting at them. Then she looks up and sees the piano player. She was kind of like in a trance at the way he was playing. She walks a bit more closer towards the tables. She pulls a chair out, takes her coat off, sits down, and gazes at Tom. Lola stares at his hands move up and down the piano. Looking at his arms, and how handsome Tom is.

Tom plays the last note of the piece and looks at the audience with a smile, as if asking for applause. The audience gives a mediocre applause due to the lack of people in there. Lola gives a smile and a big handclap to him. She stands up.

The lights go on. The stage lights go off.

Lola looks around and sees the cleaners begin to due their duties for closing time.

Lola starts walking towards the stage, but as soon as she gets close, she sees another woman walking in front of her. She is a black woman with short hair to her neck, and wearing a long black sequined halter dress fit to her body.

Tom: (Stands up from piano and walks towards the woman.) You here for the audition?

Woman: Yes I am.

Tom: Your name please.

Woman: Anna-Parker Robinson. Heres the number Ill be singin. (She hands the notes to Tom.

Tom: (Takes the papers and looks at them for a second) All right, and what about you?

Lola looks up at Tom.

Lola: Um, yes. Im Lola.

Trumpet Player: (He whispers to the drummer) Take a look a that.

(Anna-Parker gives Lola an intimidating look.)

Drummer: Oh yeah, shes a looker!

Tom: Im guessin you here for the audition too, right?

Lola: Thats right.

~~~~~~~

And thats all i got for now. I decided to spice up the begginin a bit. I thought i might add a bit more "hmph" to it, instead of just starting off wit her havin no job and goin to an audition instantaneously.

Admin

Feb 09, 2006#41

Can I be a token white girl?

You guys are too much, lol.

Intro to Jenology

Feb 09, 2006#42

A resoluter avenger... the trail of sword shall lead her the way

Read more posts (-8 remaining)